Page 339 of 706 FirstFirst ... 239289314329336337338339340341342349364389439 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,085 of 10590

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I still maintain that the only reason the WDW Mansion was chosen as a site for a Next-Gen queue is that it happened to already have a chunk of open space in front of it.
    PLQ is a side path for the Next Gen, or pathogen for short.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by hbg2 View Post
    plq is a side path for the next gen, or pathogen for short.
    Lolololololol!!!!

• Closed Account

I don't think we should accept the flat CGI HHG either. THAT travesty cannot happen.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I don't think any here really want the current projection HHG's with the gags and physical appearance for Anaheim: but sadly, what a minority...or even a majority...of the fans want has never stopped Disney before. If they decide to do so, whether or not we as fans accept it won't stop it from happening. Sad to say, but true...if it happens, I know perceived value of Disneyland and the HM itself will greatly diminish for me. And I don't like that either...but some decisions they make will continue to alienate some of their long-time customers.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Yoiks!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    PLQ is a side path for the Next Gen, or pathogen for short.
    ROTFLMAO!

On not completely off the topic news, Eddie Murphy was just listed as the second most overpaid actor in Hollywood. Maybe he needs another HM movie to boost his career. <ducks thrown objects>

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I don't think any here really want the current projection HHG's with the gags and physical appearance for Anaheim
    I personally don't care. I have no problem with the new HHG other than the fact that Ezra's appearence needs to be re-worked a tiny bit.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Agreed that the general physical appearance is the worst aspect of it...which is why stated, don't really want the effect as it is basically in Florida to come here. If less cartoony/off model from the physical hitchhikers, that would be a vast improvement, though I am less crazy about the rest of it still.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

The computer-generated HHGs are two-dimensional, digital-looking and all-wrong for Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. If Disney is going to add them, they might as well install Nemo -- which RUINED the submarine ride. And The Dreadheads can stay in Florida too.

I think that Disney should further activate the AA figures behind the glass so that they're more (after)life-like, not replace them with flat-flat-FLAT, disproportionate, tacky, poorly-designed, spastic cartoons.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 11-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.

• Banned User

In a little garden called Pixie Hollow at the base of the magestic Matterhorn Mountain

an inside source tells me that the new CGI HHG will come shortly after this years Nightmare overlay is finished

• We Go On.

Oh dear.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hbg2 View Post
    plq is a side path for the next gen, or pathogen for short.
    haaa!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Agreed that the general physical appearance is the worst aspect of it...which is why stated, don't really want the effect as it is basically in Florida to come here. If less cartoony/off model from the physical hitchhikers, that would be a vast improvement, though I am less crazy about the rest of it still.
    The very worst problem with the CG HHG's is the dramatic difference between their animation and the other ghosts' animation. Even if they get Ezra to look just like Ezra, and they manage to achieve a fuller, more three-dimensional look, and even if they tone down the gags, we're still not there. Even at its best, audio-animatronics still produces a sort of slowed-down, slightly stiff look. Fluidity has improved over the years, but it still doesn't have the lightning-fast flicker of actual facial movements or hand and arm gestures. And that's with the newer AA's. The HM AA's are '69 vintage, and many are simply mannequins on turntables of one sort or another. When they're all seen together, it works. It amounts to a kind of style, a certain uniform look that hangs together. All these characters live in the same world, just like all the Simpson characters look weird in exactly the same way and so fit together in a believable world. You almost get the impression subconsciously that ghosts must by nature be a little stiff and deliberate in their movements.

But the CG ghosts are as quick and lively as the characters in an animated Mickey Mouse short. It's as if they and they alone have freed themselves from the universal arthritis afflicting the spirits of the departed. They stand out from all the others like three sore thumbs. They'll never look like they belong with the others. This is an artistic error, plain and simple.

------

By the way, I'm pretty sure this point has been made before; perhaps by Regions, I can't remember. But it bears repeating.

David Witt's delightful animation of Collin Campbell's "Story and Song" artwork has garnered some much-deserved applause around here. He's followed it up at his website with a discussion of what he did to achieve it. Of special interest (to me, anyway) was his original contribution of a painting of the attic bride done in the style of Campbell. Here it is, lightened up slightly so you can see the details. I think it's very successful, very Campbellesque:

He's mentioned that there are "easter eggs" in it, by which I suppose he means references to HM photos and artwork. None of these are particularly hard to figure out, but I suppose someone ought to pick them out and show them in a post.

Practically every item in Witt's attic is taken directly from this photo of the scale model, including the bride herself, the oblong chest, the carpet roll, the standing screen with the curled top, the lamp, the April portrait, and the box with the diagonal boards on its sides:

The bust, however, is taken from some Marc Davis concept art for the foyer:

I don't recognize the green book as taken from anything in particular, but maybe I'm overlooking something.
    Anyway, a nice bit of HM fun for the geeks.

Quote Originally Posted by count_justin View Post
    an inside source tells me that the new CGI HHG will come shortly after this years Nightmare overlay is finished
    I hope you're wrong -- very, very, very WRONG. And if you're not....

I can't share what I'm thinking about whoever is in charge of ruining the magic of classic attractions with tacky, soon-to-be-passe gimmicks, gadgetry and sales opportunites. It would get me banned from this forum permanently.

Poor Walt, wherever he is.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The very worst problem with the CG HHG's is the dramatic difference between their animation and the other ghosts' animation. Even if they get Ezra to look just like Ezra, and they manage to achieve a fuller, more three-dimensional look, and even if they tone down the gags, we're still not there. Even at its best, audio-animatronics still produces a sort of slowed-down, slightly stiff look. Fluidity has improved over the years, but it still doesn't have the lightning-fast flicker of actual facial movements or hand and arm gestures. And that's with the newer AA's. The HM AA's are '69 vintage, and many are simply mannequins on turntables of one sort or another. When they're all seen together, it works. It amounts to a kind of style, a certain uniform look that hangs together. All these characters live in the same world, just like all the Simpson characters look weird in exactly the same way and so fit together in a believable world. You almost get the impression subconsciously that ghosts must by nature be a little stiff and deliberate in their movements.
    There is something very hypnotic, entrancing and dreamlike about watching the movement of The Haunted Mansion's animatronic figures. The flow of their action really draws the spectator into their otherworld and holds the viewer captivated throughout. If there's anything that can break that spell, ruin its magic, it's hack, 2-D, computer-generated, animated characters. I don't know what it's going to take for the creators of Disneyland's so-called "attraction improvements" to get it.

CG animation is not an upgrade; it's a JARRING disruption. The fact that the technology is newer doesn't mean that it's better or appropriate. It simply does not fit, style-wise nor otherwise. Instead, make lively adjustments/improvements (perhaps projection augmentation?) to the 3-D figures in the existing two-way mirror illusion, and keep the aesthetic of this classic attraction intact!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM