Page 34 of 618 FirstFirst ... 92431323334353637445984134534 ... LastLast

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Regarding Dan's last paragraph - y'all should have seen him walking backward on the exit ramp, oogling at Little Leota. It's such a brilliant little effect that I'm surprised I never started doing that on my own.
    I have done that and for a good amount of time.

I felt like Buster Keaton.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

What I want to know is if there's some way to get a group together for a private, behind-the-scenes tour of The Haunted Mansion. (???)

THAT would be extremely SPOOKTACULAR!!!

Of course, if there is, Disney probably charges an arm and a leg for it. Maybe, even two arms. And HOW am I supposed to take pictures then???

• Death Certificate on hand

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Of course, if there is, Disney probably charges an arm and a leg for it. Maybe, even two arms. And HOW am I supposed to take pictures then???
    ...Or operate your digital watch?

[At least I hope that's what you were referencing. 5 points to anyone else who names the source.]
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    What I want to know is if there's some way to get a group together for a private, behind-the-scenes tour of The Haunted Mansion. (???)
    I'm sure with enough money, it'd be possible to book almost anything in the resort. But it "enough money" would probably be more than all our pooled life savings. The only practical ways I know of are to be evacuated (rare) or to become a cast member.

• Inhospitable about happy

Have some cybercake and ice cream (zero calories!), gang, it's my birthday. I won't tell you how old I am, but I can get a senior coffee at Burger King.

My eldest daughter picked up a Haunted Mansion LIFE game on our DL trip last week, and that's my BD present. It's got a lot of very good graphic art on it, I notice. Cartoony, but that's appropriate for something like this. I wish I could scan more of it, but the stiffness of the cardboard keeps it from laying flat on the scanner glass, so you get blurry images (except for the birthday gal on the small end of the box). Nevertheless, there's a nice rendering of the HHGs in a DB on the instruction booklet, and that's accessible to the scanner. I fixed it up a bit, pshopping out some unwanted lettering, enhancing the color a little, etc.

A cute gag on the cover is a ghost offering a milkbone to the Caretaker's dog:

Wonder if it's an evaporated milk bone? Bada-ding.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Happy B-Day!

(...or is that bidet?)

• Who are you again?

Happy B-day

I dont want to leave this post without something Haunted Mansion related so....

earlier today I went to the local Mall to get toy Story 3 for my Wii

here's the part related to the Haunted Mansion, when I bought 'Sid's Haunted house' I was able to go in the house, and guess what song was playing inside the house?
    if you guessed 'Grim Grinning Ghosts' your correct!
    yep, the entire version of GGG playes inside the house
    Last edited by jesterjack; 06-29-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Death Certificate on hand

Going back to the conversation about whether the spider lines up with the bullet hole in the ballroom wall, two questions:
    1. Does anybody have a picture of the hole in the glass?
    2. Can anybody figure out why in the last 30-odd years, NOBODY has taken a can of spackle & a paintbrush to the bullet hole for a touch-up?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Happy Boo-Day to you, HBG2! And sorry I couldn't make the meet...truly would have been a good time, and enjoyed reading your thoughts of the Mansion's current state. I have a little visual treat coming up, nothing major or even in a Disney park, but that should materialize soon....proof that perhaps there is no escaping the Mansion.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Was at the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk today, to check out the new Haunted Castle dark ride, and I was approached by a very excited hipster boy who had to tell me he loved my HM hat (the eye wallpaper design) and then proceeded to show me his latest tattoo (still in progress):

Now that's what I call a dedicated Mansion fan
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRose View Post
    Going back to the conversation about whether the spider lines up with the bullet hole in the ballroom wall, two questions:
    1. Does anybody have a picture of the hole in the glass?
    2. Can anybody figure out why in the last 30-odd years, NOBODY has taken a can of spackle & a paintbrush to the bullet hole for a touch-up?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    I too would like to see a pic of the hole in the glass. The reason no one has bothered with the hole in the wall is probably that no one can see it, and if a guest can't see it, it doesn't exist.

In a day or two I should have a few pix of the Friday meet with Data to post. Have to get them from my bro.

• Minion

These large HM threads are fantastic, i've only read 3 so far, more joy to come, but its great to read everyones vast knowledge on an attraction i've been on once at age 4, and I was scared to death of it but now as a budding Phantom Manor fan its great to read about a Disney original in such detail. I'll be reading the rest for sure and when and where appropriate i'll chime in with my knowledge...

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I too would like to see a pic of the hole in the glass.
    I guess the problem is that in order to get a clear shot in the attraction, you'd need a nice camera...and nice cameras tend to have shallower depth of field, which means you really have to focus precisely on what you want to be in focus. If you use autofocus in the ballroom, the camera will focus on the ballroom itself, not the glass. So you'd have to either autofocus on the columns or use manual focus, and either way would be difficult.

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I always use manual focus in the Mansion. Camera sensors don't know how to react to blacklight or most of the lighting tricks being used. It does make getting good shots difficult, but if you try to autofocus on most dark rides the camera freaks out and takes forever to find ANYTHING to focus on. If I go to the park in the near future, I'll make it my mission to get a shot of the hole.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joelio View Post
    These large HM threads are fantastic, i've only read 3 so far, more joy to come, but its great to read everyones vast knowledge on an attraction i've been on once at age 4, and I was scared to death of it but now as a budding Phantom Manor fan its great to read about a Disney original in such detail. I'll be reading the rest for sure and when and where appropriate i'll chime in with my knowledge...
    Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    I always use manual focus in the Mansion. Camera sensors don't know how to react to blacklight or most of the lighting tricks being used. It does make getting good shots difficult, but if you try to autofocus on most dark rides the camera freaks out and takes forever to find ANYTHING to focus on. If I go to the park in the near future, I'll make it my mission to get a shot of the hole.
    Another problem, maybe. Is the rubber spider directly over the hole?

Okay, I've got some good news and some bad news. First, the bad news. I found a good pic of that hideous black box next to the gryphon. Anyone know what that is? Whatever it is, it has GOT to be relocated, because it's plainly visible in silhouette against the bluish mist and impossible to miss if you look at the gryphon at all. Only fix is to move it. So, MOVE IT.

Now the good news. Y'all know by now that Ken Anderson deserves to be recognized as the Father of the Haunted Mansion. It's too bad that there are no tributes to him in the ride; he certainly deserves one.

But they may have paid tribute to him at the 30th Anniversary event, "The Art of the Haunted Mansion" (which was FAR superior to anything they did for the 40th). I've posted this document before, handed out at the time:

Dang me, but isn't that a caricature of Ken at the top? Judge for yourselves:

Ken had died just six years earlier, and this event focused on the Imagineers, featuring a panel onstage with Rolly, Buddy, Sam McK, X, and Marc. So it's not unreasonable that they might want to tip their hats to Ken somewhere.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM