Page 340 of 599 FirstFirst ... 240290315330337338339340341342343350365390440 ... LastLast
Results 5,086 to 5,100 of 8973

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I'm hoping that with the inevitable arrival of the CG HHGs that they at least get updated along the lines of how Constance was improved for WDW's Re-Haunting.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I am probably going to be on hiatus come January.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I am probably going to be on hiatus come January.
    Another one? Sheesh...
    GRD, BHP, MG13, and now HMF...
    It's an epidemic.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Another one? Sheesh...
    GRD, BHP, MG13, and now HMF...
    It's an epidemic.
    I might come back once things calm down. LOL!

So I'd better get my fill of the Mansion this month and next.... ::sigh::

Why do they always have to ruin things? Why do they put people in charge of the Mansion who do *not* understand the aesthetic and style of the place?

Wrong. Just wrong. Upgraded physical AAs in the mirror, sure. Projected images? Does not fit. No, no, no, no, no.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

If it changes, not much we can do, and for folks who like the effect...people like what they like. I will be extremely disappointed however, and though won't have much effect, absolutely will complain both in person at DL City Hall (which won't accomplish anything) and write to complain. I don't know yet...but could be that's the 'breaking point' of Disneyland not caring about being special or aesthetic choices for me, as much as I'd dislike that. I am not anti-Disney or see conspiracy by any means: but there comes a point when it's just not the same sooner or later, I fear. I hope it isn't sooner.

• hatbox ghost believer

To say that I am disappointed that they are choosing to put the "new" inferior HHG effect in the DLR version of THM is an understatement. IMO the entire group of people who worked on that new take of the HHG (and the PLQ monstrosity) should all have their hands cut off & their eyes poked out. Shame!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Minion

Check this out. Japanese robotics project playing around with the Leota effect.
    Mask-bot: A robot with a human face
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

I was once in a stage production of Wilkie Collins's "The Moonstone," and I played a character who died partway through. When people read her suicide note, they rear-projected me reading it onto a mask like that. I got to be Madame Leota for one brief, shining moment!

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Check this out. Japanese robotics project playing around with the Leota effect.
    Mask-bot: A robot with a human face
    That works for Leota because she's a disembodied medium inside her crystal ball. But, as you can see with Constance The Attic Bride, despite the form, the projection looks very flat.

I still prefer audio-animatronics. They can be lit to look eerie and ghostlike, or enhanced with projections. But projections and unassisted (through the use of glasses) computer animation alone still look 2-D.

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 06:04 PM ----------

BTW, there are some robots with human faces that look almost alive. Their faces are not projected.

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Why do they put people in charge of the Mansion who do *not* understand the aesthetic and style of the place?
    Nepotism, yes-men, the good, ol' boy system and FUMU.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    That works for Leota because she's a disembodied medium inside her crystal ball. But, as you can see with Constance The Attic Bride, despite the form, the projection looks very flat.
    Connie's form is flat. She has no three-dimensional facial features like Leota or the Busts. That is what makes them work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Nepotism, yes-men, the good, ol' boy system and FUMU.
    I'm scared to ask what FUMU means...

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I'm scared to ask what FUMU means...
    The MiceChat definition: Fudge Up/Move Up

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 06:44 PM ----------

Actually, I think the biggest problem(s) might be that those in charge are primarily businessmen/women and/or unsophisticated at the arts of storytelling and production.

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 06:48 PM ----------

They're under the impression that they're making way for and/or implementing "progress."

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 06:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Connie's form is flat. She has no three-dimensional facial features like Leota or the Busts.
    She seems to have some dimension. She's not entirely flat. Or are you referring to just her face? In that case, yes, she does not have distinct facial features, such as protruding nose, chin. etc., as do the busts.

However, even the busts don't compare to an AA figure. But, much like Leota, the busts are heads only. They're not full-body apparitions.

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 07:02 PM ----------

It just doesn't make any sense to me -- and it destroys continuity -- to have three 2-D, CG-projected ghosts right after seeing three 3-D ghost hitchhikers. Do ghosts lose a dimension when they interact directly with mortals? It doesn't follow and it just plain looks bad.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 11-07-2011 at 06:13 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

The problem with projected faces, (rear or front, doesn't matter) is not dimensionality. You only need a fully-dimensional mask to achieve that. The problem is luminosity. It just doesn't look like a reggelar ol' face in reggelar ol' light. It has an unnatural glow. Works for ghosts just great, but not for live folks. That's why this effect is used almost exclusively in the HM. (Buzz Lightyear uses it, but that's okay because he doesn't have to look like he has real human skin in normal lighting.)
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The problem with projected faces, (rear or front, doesn't matter) is not dimensionality. You only need a fully-dimensional mask to achieve that. The problem is luminosity. It just doesn't look like a reggelar ol' face in reggelar ol' light. It has an unnatural glow. Works for ghosts just great, but not for live folks. That's why this effect is used almost exclusively in the HM. (Buzz Lightyear uses it, but that's okay because he doesn't have to look like he has real human skin in normal lighting.)
    And they wash out in bright light.

Just a thought...If they switch out to digital HHGs, what will they do for HMH? I've never seen it, but I understand that the ghosty-go-round plays an integral part with Christmas gifts. Do you suppose they would be foolish enough to leave the parts for the ghost carousel in the back so they could use them for HMH, and project the digital junk on the mirrors the rest of the year?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM