Page 341 of 719 FirstFirst ... 241291316331338339340341342343344351366391441 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 10778

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Just a thought...If they switch out to digital HHGs, what will they do for HMH? I've never seen it, but I understand that the ghosty-go-round plays an integral part with Christmas gifts. Do you suppose they would be foolish enough to leave the parts for the ghost carousel in the back so they could use them for HMH, and project the digital junk on the mirrors the rest of the year?
    They'll probably just bang out some quick new projections to use during HMH.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

That's kind of what I figured. I just really hope that someone (Tony, are you there?) realizes how foolish it is to replace a signature HM effect with something I could do on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    David Witt's delightful animation of Collin Campbell's "Story and Song" artwork has garnered some much-deserved applause around here. He's followed it up at his website with a discussion of what he did to achieve it.
    I've been away for a while, so thanks for the link, Dan.

I saw something interesting in the commentary, however, regarding the Leota scene. Many Mansion fans, including myself, do not care for the floating Leota effect because while it's cool from an effects point of view, it tends to step on the gag. But David made a comment that I hadn't considered before. And it seemed like a wonderful solution:

"I know Madam Leota is in the attraction, but I animated this art because Collin Campbell staged the seance scene so differently from how it looks in the attraction. I love how lively the room looks here. In recent years the Disney Imagineers have gotten Madam Leota to float in the air, which is a neat trick, but I'd be truly amazed if they could make all the furniture float like it does here."

So keep the crystal ball on its stand, on the table, but have the table itself float. This would preserve the original intention of the Leota reveal, while adding a little extra spookiness; further emphasizing the "ghosts are on their way" motif of the scene.
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    So keep the crystal ball on its stand, on the table, but have the table itself float. This would preserve the original intention of the Leota reveal, while adding a little extra spookiness; further emphasizing the "ghosts are on their way" motif of the scene.
    It used to be that way back in the 1980s. Leota was changed from a front projection to an internal one via fiber optics. This allowed them to animate the table to appear to be floating with Leota on it, somewhat like Campbell's illustration. (It was more of a wobble, really.) However, the image quality was inferior, and the fiber optics kept breaking, so she was returned to a static position and front projection until 2005.

I *think* Phantom Manor's Leota still uses the wobbling table version.

• Minion

From the most recent videos I can find, Phantom Manor has Leota sitting stationary on a floating/wobbling table. I'm not sure why, but her face kind of looks smooshed flat when not viewed from head-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    It used to be that way back in the 1980s. Leota was changed from a front projection to an internal one via fiber optics. This allowed them to animate the table to appear to be floating with Leota on it, somewhat like Campbell's illustration. (It was more of a wobble, really.) However, the image quality was inferior, and the fiber optics kept breaking, so she was returned to a static position and front projection until 2005.
    That's interesting. Although I'm a bit disappointed to learn that it wasn't feasible, apparently. Was this at DL, WDW or both?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    That's interesting. Although I'm a bit disappointed to learn that it wasn't feasible, apparently. Was this at DL, WDW or both?
    DL, I believe. I don't *think* WDW ever got the wobble table.

• Inhospitable about happy

The first-generation interior-projection Leota at DL was there from the very early 90's until October 2001. (The patent is dated Dec 1990, so the actual debut must have been later than the "late 80's," as it's sometimes been reported.) As GG says, the movement of the table tended to break the fibers for the fiber optics, so they toned it down to only a slow, slight wobble.

Phantom Manor debuted with that same interior-projection Leota, but I don't think it wobbled.[Edit: Yes it did/does] It lasted until March or April 2009, and what they have now is either a second-gen interior-projection model (probably) or a frontal projection (less likely). I don't think she's floating.

DL and WDW debuted (69 and 71) with frontal projection Leotas. I don't think WDW ever had the first-gen interior-projection, and they never had the floating Leota with moving frontal projection. They went straight from the good old-fashioned original frontal projection to the second-gen interior-projection (what they have now).

DL has the most complex history:

front-projection; Leota is stationary...................1969—early 90's
    1st gen interior-proj; Leota and table wobble...... early 90's—Oct 2001
    front-projection; Leota is stationary...................Oct 2001—Jan 2005 (back to the original)
    front-projection; Leota is floating.......................Jan 2005—late May/early June 2010
    2nd gen interior-proj; Leota is floating................late May/early June 2010—now

Tokyo, I believe, debuted with the good old frontal projection and has never changed it. Leota doesn't move.

Here's a rather yukky photo showing DL in the wobbly-table days.

Last edited by HBG2; 11-12-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: correction
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Bats in the Belfry!

There was also a "mad doctor" figure in Phantom Manor's ghost town finale that used the internal projection method. The gag was that the doctor would appear handsome, then take a swig of one of his potions, and the face would morph into a hideous monster, much like Doctor Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. The figure had a pretty decent range of movement, so the fiber optic cables inside didn't hold up for very long. After a while, they gave up trying to make the effect work, and gave him a regular face. I'm not sure how long the projection effect lasted. Seems they had a lot of faith in the internal projection method, but didn't put a whole lot of endurance testing in. I'd love to see them try the effect with the new Leota technology, though.

-Adam-

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Happy-Haunts.com: Archive
    near the end of this video is the (only, to my knowledge) footage of the original "mad doctor" (pharmacist) in action. Seemed like a cool effect, shame it didn't work out.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Guy View Post
    near the end of this video is the (only, to my knowledge) footage of the original "mad doctor" (pharmacist) in action. Seemed like a cool effect, shame it didn't work out.
    Neat clip of the pharmacist, Ukulele Guy! First time I've seen what it's actually supposed to look like.

Something else I noticed: The shadow of the pianist in Phantom Manor simply rocks back and forth. Unlike the WDW pianist who (somewhat) seems like he's striking the appropriate notes. I wonder why...

I never knew about that effect. Very interesting.

• Minion

The pharmacist's "normal" face looks kind of like Vincent Price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Guy View Post
    It looks like the "breathing door" has a skull/skeleton coming out of it. Is that right, or is it just an optical illusion?

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    It looks like the "breathing door" has a skull/skeleton coming out of it. Is that right, or is it just an optical illusion?
    The PM doors are identical to the doors in the other Mansions.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM