Page 344 of 586 FirstFirst ... 244294319334341342343344345346347354369394444 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 8789

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Thank you all for the wonderfully kind words about my art! These paintings are several years old at this point and I'd love to do another (better!) Mansion piece -- Any requests?

When I last was at the World in late August I had noticed Ezra's hair had been shortened, thankfully. I remember asking a cast member when it had happened and he told me it was VERY recent at the time, maybe even the night before. They must have known I was coming . . . I thought his "Hollywood" hair looked atrocious and I was bracing myself for its stupidity. It was surprisingly relieving to see this new style instead.

Regardless, I feel silly that I forgot to report on it, but I thought some of you might be interested to know the timeframe for this change. Ya know, for historical purposes. Gotta keep those encyclopedias updated.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    Thank you all for the wonderfully kind words about my art! These paintings are several years old at this point and I'd love to do another (better!) Mansion piece -- Any requests?
    I bet you could do a KILLER Madam Leota's Seance Circle. And how about an attic scene? -- one without the blabbermouth bride and with a certain, debonair gentleman ghost with a hatbox instead.

• Minion

Interesting bit of info found on Facebook moments ago, regarding the re-haunting of the WDW Mansion in 2007:

"Did you know? 16 Audio Animatronic Gargoyle Candle Holders were almost ordered for the stretching rooms during the 2007 Re Haunting. While the only thing that remains of the talking Gargoyles is the small bit of narration at the end ("Stay Together Please" *Giggles* "Get Out") they were originally to echo the last word of each of the Ghost Host's phrases before a pause. They were going to move as well. Alas, it was way to [sic] much with the new effects already in place, so they were not installed."

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I think the plan for gargoyle animatronics was just a rumor.

From what I recall in '07, word on the street was that the gargoyles would "come to life," and people assumed that meant they would move.

Jim Hill didn't mention any scrapped plans for moving gargoyles in his article.
    WDI's X-Scream Makeover of WDW's Haunted Mansion: Part 1
    And then there were the Gargoyles. Who -- in this original version of the newly enhanced Portrait Gallery -- were supposed to have a speaking role. According to the revised script for this sequence, every time the Ghost Host paused in his spiel, the Gargoyles would then chime in. Repeating the very last word or phrase that the Ghost Host just said.

Here's an excerpt from the revised script for this sequence in the Haunted Mansion:
    GHOST HOST: Is this haunted room actually stretching?
    GARGOYLES: Stretching.
    GHOST HOST: Or is it your imagination, hmmn? And consider this dismaying observation: This chamber has no windows and no doors ...
    GARGOYLES: No doors !

Sounds pretty cool, don't you think? The only problem is -- during those after-hours, cast-member-only tests that were done on the revamped Mansion -- the Imagineers noticed that whenever the Gargoyles spoke, the people inside of the Portrait Gallery would then begin talking amongst themselves. Saying things like "Did you hear that? I think that the Gargoyles just talked." Which -- because of all thenew conversations that were suddenly springing up around the stretching room -- then made it rather difficult to hear the Ghost Host's next line.

Faced with the fact that this one audio enhancement (Which -- thanks to the binaural technology that was used to deliver the Gargoyles' dialogue into the Portrait Gallery -- made it sound as if these long-silent statues were now speaking directly to you) unintentionally undermined the effectiveness of the rest of this classic sequence in the Haunted Mansion ... The Imagineers reluctantly cut the Gargoyles' speaking role. Except for one tiny little snippet that you can still hear toward the end of the stretching room scene.
    I may be wrong though.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 12-08-2011 at 09:35 AM.

• Minion

Would be pretty cool to see brought in. I imagine it wouldn't be as much of a big deal once it had time for people to get used to it.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Is this supposed to be Prudence Pock?

The busts in the library are of "ghostwriters," according to the GH.
    Prudence is a "ghostwriter" (a phantom poetess) and her tomb is based on the library.

That particular library bust is more significant than the others.
    *It's the only one to show up elsewhere in the ride (on the fireplace mantel in the ballroom).
    *It's the only female.
    *Concept art for the bust looks exactly like the woman in the Sinister 11 "Couple" portrait. As far as I know, the other library busts don't look like any other characters.
    *The same bust was also one the singing/talking busts in Davis' concept art. Prudence Pock is related to Phineas Pock, one of the singing busts.

PLQ is chock-full of references to familiar HM images. Giving this bust character a prominent tomb seems like something they would do.

As for the bust being named "Aunt Lucretia" in the concept art, it doesn't matter. There's no usage of that moniker in the ride, so they're free to give her any name.
    The modern Imagineers named the widow in the stretching portrait Constance Hatchaway, even though she was Abigale Patecleaver in the original X. Atencio script(s).

• Minion

Doesn't look like she'd have a voice that sounds like a bad Fairy Godmother/Mrs. Potts impression
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

I agree, but everything else in the queue is cuddly and unthreatening. Even if Prudence is supposed to be that sinister bust, they couldn't have her speaking in a sinister voice. That might make little Johnny and Susie nervous! We wouldn't want anyone to be scared in something called "The Haunted Mansion"!

• Inhospitable about happy

One problem is that the busts in the library are shamelessly duplicated just yards away from each other. There are four types, two of each, for a total of eight. I suppose it's possible that someone might want two identical busts of each of four writers, but I'm more inclined to take the duplication as a hint that this is not an avenue intended to be explored. You're not supposed to notice, in other words, and so it seems to me unlikely that you're intended to go looking for names to attach to them. Do you need four names or eight? The question forces you to take note of something I suspect they never wanted you to take note of.

It's true that WDI is free to name that old sourpuss anything they like, but the names of the other busts (= the singers) stuck very tight indeed, so I'm inclined to give some weight to "Aunt Lucretia" for that reason.

That's not to say that the PLQ team didn't follow Smelly's reasoning in this. I suppose someone could ask one of them and find out.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    One problem is that the busts in the library are shamelessly duplicated just yards away from each other. There are four types, two of each, for a total of eight. I suppose it's possible that someone might want two identical busts of each of four writers, but I'm more inclined to take the duplication as a hint that this is not an avenue intended to be explored. You're not supposed to notice, in other words, and so it seems to me unlikely that you're intended to go looking for names to attach to them. Do you need four names or eight? The question forces you to take note of something I suspect they never wanted you to take note of.
    I guess their logic worked; I never noticed there were duplicates in the Library! Yet I did notice Aunt Lucretia repeated in the Ballroom. Go figure...

So, does that mean Aunt Lucretia makes three appearances at WDW and Tokyo?
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 12-09-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Or four, if you count the library pair as two.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Looky - looky!!!

• Minion

Suh-weeet!

• Minion

I guess their logic worked; I never noticed there were duplicates in the Library! Yet I did notice Aunt Lucretia repeated in the Ballroom. Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Or four, if you count the library pair as two.
    Four...?

Four...?
    D'oh, I mean three. I was absent-mindedly thinking of the DL version.

That Hatbox Ghost painting is one of the nicer interpretations I've seen. Very cool.

Okay, let's give the ol' Thread a kick in the pants (presuming it has some, unlike you know who), with NOT one, NOT two, but a full THREE pieces of trivia in a single post. Nothing but sweet, crunchy, Mansion goodness in every bite.

Back HERE, ttintagel pointed out that the portrait-coming-to-life gag has been around for awhile:

W.S. Gilbert used it in 1869 in his short play "Ages Ago," and re-used it more famously in Ruddigore, the operetta he wrote with Sullivan in 1887. Both of those pieces were considered to be parodies of Gothic and Sensation novels, so I'm sure there is literary precedent.
    tt is correct, of course. The gag appears in the very first ever Gothic novel, The Castle of Otranto, published in 1764:

“Look, my Lord! see, Heaven itself declares against your impious intentions!” 

“Heaven nor Hell shall impede my designs,” said Manfred, advancing again to seize the Princess.

At that instant the portrait of his grandfather, which hung over the bench where they had been sitting, uttered a deep sigh, and heaved its breast. 

Isabella, whose back was turned to the picture, saw not the motion, nor knew whence the sound came, but started, and said -

“Hark, my Lord! What sound was that?” and at the same time made towards the door.

Manfred, distracted between the flight of Isabella, who had now reached the stairs, and yet unable to keep his eyes from the picture, which began to move, had, however, advanced some steps after her, still looking backwards on the portrait, when he saw it quit its panel, and descend on the floor with a grave and melancholy air.

“Do I dream?” cried Manfred, returning; “or are the devils themselves in league against me? Speak, infernal spectre! Or, if thou art my grandsire, why dost thou too conspire against thy wretched descendant, who too dearly pays for - ” Ere he could finish the sentence, the vision sighed again, and made a sign to Manfred to follow him. 

“Lead on!” cried Manfred; “I will follow thee to the gulf of perdition.” 

The spectre marched sedately, but dejected, to the end of the gallery, and turned into a chamber on the right hand.
    An old illustration of the scene even serves as cover art for a modern edition:

Okay, trivia #2 really is trivial. In the Montmartre district of Paris in the 1890's, directly across the street from the famed Cabaret du Néant (which we've visited several times), stood the Cabaret du Ciel ("Cabaret of Heaven"). A postcard from there has always struck me as having a faint, weird resemblance to a piece of Marc Davis concept art for the Great Hall, although I doubt there's any direct influence:

Trivia #3. Just a still from the Eddie Murphy 2003 Haunted Mansion movie, showing how closely the film's sets sometimes mimicked the real HM. As many have pointed out, the set design and artwork for the film are probably its best features:

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM