Page 347 of 622 FirstFirst ... 247297322337344345346347348349350357372397447 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 9324

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    And don't be a strangler, either.
    and do not be a stranger stranger-strangler than I am.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Not to mention, if you're doing 1500 posts in a day at work don't overload the DS1 line, the IT guy might notice. Unless you ARE the IT Guy, then nevermind, as you were. ;-P

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    and do not be a stranger stranger-strangler than I am.
    You guys are straining. Don't be a strainer.

New post up at El Bloggo. Nice long one with lots of pictures.
    Last edited by HBG2; 12-30-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

A king and queen are on the see-saw (duh).
    A duchess is on the swing behind them.

What about the characters in the whole tea party scene?
    Have we ever cleared up who they're supposed to be?

Are the toasting couple supposed to be anyone other than a couple of stereotypical 19th century Brits? I've seen fans refer to them as "duke and duchess," "lord and lady," etc. I don't think I've ever seen any Davis concept art on them. Are they labeled anything specific on blueprints/documentation?

What about the lady sitting on the hearse? I've also seen people refer to her as a duchess. Is that accurate?

The guy next to the hearse is the coachman, obviously.
    The little guy in the coffin is probably no one special (isn't he labeled as "Ghoul" somewhere?)

What about the guy sitting nearby?
    In the Davis art, he's a medieval Robin Hood-looking character. Isn't that what he is in the ride?
    Many, including Imagineers, have referred to him as the Sea Captain/Mariner.
    I'm pretty sure that's in both editions of the Surrell book.
    The figure doesn't look like the Mariner to me, or even a mariner.
    Didn't they change his hat to a decidedly "non-sea captain" hat a few years ago at DL?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I don't remember.

Edit:

PS: Yet another great blog post, HBG2.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 12-30-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Ok, I read through most of the stuff, but had to leave off at LFT#6. I had a question about the que. I guess I never paid attention since I usually go during times of low crowds and skip that area, but the que route there is very bizarre to me. It is like an M.C. Escher painting or something, how it zigs back (different from more logical zig zags like Space Mountain etc) and you feel like you are going the wrong way or to a dead end, then turn anther corner etc. Is this new? Is this intentional? It reminds me of the maze a bit from the Shining...
    Last edited by brian11811; 12-30-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Changing text that was not typed correctly with my typing machine

Speaking of which, anyone else think they should have made the new queue at WDW a hedge maze (instead of what we got)? THAT would have been a welcome addition, assuming it didn't have a bunch of goofy crap in it. The queue didn't even need to be a cemetery.

A Shining-like hedge maze is included in the art on the game board for the HM Game of Life, and it doesn't seem out of place in the slightest.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Speaking of which, anyone else think they should have made the new queue at WDW a hedge maze (instead of what we got)? THAT would have been a welcome addition, assuming it didn't have a bunch of goofy crap in it. The queue didn't even need to be a cemetery.

A Shining-like hedge maze is included in the art on the game board for the HM Game of Life, and it doesn't seem out of place in the slightest.
    A hedge maze would have been pretty cool. And it would have been in keeping with the stage setting of the pristine but disconcerting grounds of a real house.

A real hedge maze might freak people out, can't see where you are going, imagine a crowded day and no end in sight, with a 10 foot high hedgerow. Claustrophobia to the extreme I'd think. There was a couple last fall that called 911 in a Maze back east because they were lost in a "Maize Maze" near sunset. Turns out they were only a few meters from the end. The owers said they should have just cut through the bushes (actually corn). They had their baby with them. I guess they were over protective.

Also I am not sure a maze fits with the Old South feel? I am just wondering if thats kind of what they were leaning toward with the weird twists and turns (maze or just creepy stuff), or am I just reading too much into it. I didn't notice such a que layout on any other ride (-- I mean attraction).

• Inhospitable about happy

First, I don't think any members of the hearse tea-party group (two subgroups, really) have any positive identity. That's not a very sexy answer, I know, but sometimes the truth turns out to be rather mundane. Beyond the AA figures themselves, here's the visual evidence we have:

Then there's the vocal tracks attached to them, and references to them in official or semi-official sources.

The table couple are Victorian Brits, sporting what sounds like upper clawss accents. The guy in the coffin is possibly older than the Victorians around him, if we are to judge by the fact that he has big, Pilgrim-style buckles on his shoes (17th century?). The other guy is certainly NOT a sea captain, despite Baxter and Surrell, but with that Robin Hoodish garb he too is obviously older than Victorian (perhaps strengthening thereby the case for a 17th c. or older coffin occupant). The lady perched on the hearse is clearly the same as in that detailed sketch (ridiculously identified as a bride in Haunted Attractions magazine and subsequently at Doombuggies.com). I can't see anything about her to pin her down to any particular kind of character, beyond "Victorian-era woman," perhaps a little eccentric in her taste in hats (but that's hardly unique among Englishwomen). There's nothing on "Story and Song" to help us. Frank Allnutt's official WED 1969 summary of the ride refers to a group of "Dickensesque personalities" around the hearse. That fits the table couple, the coachman, and the perched woman, at least. There's nothing of any help on the effects blueprints, and I haven't ever seen the schematics for any of those figures, so I don't know what they're called there.

I put them in the same category as the "Ballroom Visitors": curious characters in Victorian garb for the most part, and nothing more specific to be said.

Second, thanks, Smelly.

Third, here's some microtrivia (and I have in mind electron microscopes here). In the latest post I put up a rare sketch sheet done (probably) by Claude Coats in 1955, and I argue that the sketches are concept art for Fantasyland itself. Well, I think I can positively identify the inspiration for one of the sketches:

That tower is inspired by the Saxon bell tower at St. Mary's church in Sompting, England. It sports the ONLY surviving "Rhenish helm" type roof on the British Isles.

Fourth, fwiw, there's a blog out there called "The Bloggess" that I've never heard of, but apparently it has a huge readership, and said Bloggess just did a blog comparing herself to the Ally Gal. In the process, she links the post about Ally Gal at my blog. On an ordinary day, I get about 300 or 400 pageviews. It typically goes up to 700 or 800 for awhile when there's a new post. Yesterday I had 10,000 pageviews, thanks to the Bloggess link, and they're still pouring in. Floor, meet jaw. Just doing a little happy dance here among my old Mansionite friends, that's all.

Fifth, a hedge maze sounds great until you stop to really think about it. Little kids constantly getting lost. Not-so-little kids doing naughty things. The CM's would hate hate hate it.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Yeah, it would have to be a low hedge.

Great post HBG2!

But back to my question, is the layout of the que/line a bit odd? I think it is. Is this an intentional thing or just use of the space there? Yes a replica of the Shining like maze would be horrible for CMs (full height), but is the layout a bit of a nod to that such maze?

No TV and no beer make homer go crazy...
    Last edited by brian11811; 12-31-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: editing typing error.

Hey Mansioneers, this is definitely off topic, but does anyone remember the link that was posted in the DL forums to a video tour by Guillermo Del Toro of his "Bleak House"?

I can't seem to find it, but admittedly I didn't try very hard

As you were.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Many, including Imagineers, have referred to him as the Sea Captain/Mariner.
    I'm pretty sure that's in both editions of the Surrell book.
    The figure doesn't look like the Mariner to me, or even a mariner.
    Didn't they change his hat to a decidedly "non-sea captain" hat a few years ago at DL?
    Besides that coffin does not look like a bathtub at all, Eh, never mind.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

A bit off topic, but we've talked here before (and on the excellent blog by HBG2) about the original Snow White dark ride and it's attendant mural. Here is a photo scanned from the E-Ticket with a glimpse of the witch/scary trees portion:

And enlarged for a little better look at the details:

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• hatbox ghost believer

This isn't the one I remember, but it does show some of his "man-cave": Bleak House, Bright Heart: A Conversation with Guillermo del Toro - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    Hey Mansioneers, this is definitely off topic, but does anyone remember the link that was posted in the DL forums to a video tour by Guillermo Del Toro of his "Bleak House"?I can't seem to find it, but admittedly I didn't try very hard As you were.
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM