Page 348 of 586 FirstFirst ... 248298323338345346347348349350351358373398448 ... LastLast
Results 5,206 to 5,220 of 8788

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    Hey Mansioneers, this is definitely off topic, but does anyone remember the link that was posted in the DL forums to a video tour by Guillermo Del Toro of his "Bleak House"?

I can't seem to find it, but admittedly I didn't try very hard

As you were.
    It's been taken down from YouTube. You can find it on the recent DVD/Blu-ray release of Cronos.

---------- Post added 01-02-2012 at 09:05 AM ----------

BTW, I was thinking more of a switchback queue disguised as a hedge maze, rather than an actual maze.

*Passport to Dreams Old & New: The Third Queue
    (Read this if you haven't already)
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 01-02-2012 at 09:08 AM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    A bit off topic, but we've talked here before (and on the excellent blog by HBG2) about the original Snow White dark ride and it's attendant mural. Here is a photo scanned from the E-Ticket with a glimpse of the witch/scary trees portion:

And enlarged for a little better look at the details:

Very nice. For anyone interested in this mural, THIS is an absolute must-see.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Some quintessential Thread material...

We didn't stir up very much material when we inquired a long while back about possible inspirations for the stretchroom gargoyles. This was the best I could find at the time:

And I still think that one may be an influence, but I've found another that looks even better to me. This is a replica of an original 13th c. gargoyle from Notre Dame (de Paris), the classic place to look for gargoyles. I'd never seen this particular one before, though.

Let's do some side-by-sides. In this first one, I'm looking mostly at the bulging eyes and the heavy brow over them, and the claws.

This is the most convincing one, IMO. The curvature of the back and the shape of the head in profile are very similar.

Found this in one of my brother's Disney books. They had a reunion of veteran Imagineers in 1990. All but one of them made some contribution to the HM, large or small. Left to right you've got Marty Sklar, Marc Davis, Ken Anderson, Claude Coats, Leota Toombs, X. Atencio, John Hench, Sam McKim, Bill Martin. (I'm not aware of any HM connection for Hench, although it wouldn't surprise me if there was.)

It so happens that the major contributors to the HM are all bunched in the center, so I cropped out the rest and removed the distracting T-shirt slogan. Smile, everyone *click*

Interesting back track. Im Watching history channel and Brad Meltzers Decoded had an interesting episode on Houdini, had a lot of episode dedicated to the whole spiritualism movement and his debunking of the trickery. Reminded me of the seance room discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Interesting back track. Im Watching history channel and Brad Meltzers Decoded had an interesting episode on Houdini, had a lot of episode dedicated to the whole spiritualism movement and his debunking of the trickery. Reminded me of the seance room discussion.

You know, he would have been no fun at all around the Haunted Mansion.

• Yoiks!

He'd solve the chilling challenge and find a way out in seconds flat no doubt

On a personal note: My wife had a successful stemcell transplant; is in recession; and is slooowly getting back to her normal self.

• Minion

Got the Nightmare Blu-Ray recently and watched the Holiday tour video. Never noticed that Disneyland had the Tokyo Book tree nestled in the ballroom.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post

On a personal note: My wife had a successful stemcell transplant; is in recession; and is slooowly getting back to her normal self.
    Wonderful!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post

Hurray for Mrs. Karl!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great news, Karl...thanks for sharing!

• hatbox ghost believer

Congratsarama Karl!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

Depressing news, if true - from an article posted today on slashfilm (Brian Beletic to Direct Disney):

Disney was developing a new Haunted Mansion movie with Guillermo del Toro, but that’s been back-burnered at this point.

---------- Post added 01-06-2012 at 06:42 PM ----------

Though "back-burnered" doesn't necessarily mean "cancelled."
    Del Toro is shooting Pacific Rim right now in Canada, and that movie won't even be out until Summer 2013.
    Maybe they're waiting for him to finish with that before they go further.
    I was under the impression that they were ready to go with the script, etc. and that GDT was going to choose a director.

If it is cancelled, I reiterate my previous statement.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 01-07-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Language not permitted on MiceChat even if "censored"

The bright side may be (as you suggest) that they want Del Toro himself to direct, and maybe he himself really wants to direct, and they'll need to wait until his schedule is clear. He'll have more control, and perhaps that will make a better product.

A MYSTERY CLEARED UP!

As we know, most of the inside graveyard headstones have cryptic names in their inscriptions, written backwards. One of those stones has SNEVETS NOR on it, obviously "Ron Stevens" backwards.

No one seemed to know who "Ron Stevens" was. One of those long forgotten things. But someone who recently read my "The Other Nine Old Men" blog post, responded yesterday in the comments:

I think can solve one of your mystery tombstones.

"Snevets Nor" is, as you surmised, Ron Stevens.

Mr. Stevens worked for WED on the HM interior and "ride works" effort. (The exterior building was long completed by then.) To the best of my memory, he would have been about 20 years old at that time and was probably a junior drafter or job captain in the architectural dept.

He went on to become an architect with his own practice in Southern California and later moved to Northern California or Oregon. I have not seen him for many years.

We worked together briefly in an architectural firm as drafters and designers.

He was once kind enough to allow me to examine his copies of the HM construction documents, probably progress checksets, since many of the details are missing or at variance with those you publish in the blog.

I remember that he kept a tape dispenser on his desk, with "SNEVETS" written on it in large black letters. I asked about it, since it's the sort of anonymous thing that drafters put their names on, to prevent "drift". He remarked that "everyone used their name backward" where he used to work.

Hope this helps
    So there you go, Mansionologists!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Good info indeed, thanks HBG2 for passing it along!

Just got back from the park last night, and a few more photos to come, but here is one fans of the Mansion's "hidden faces" will enjoy.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM