Page 353 of 585 FirstFirst ... 253303328343350351352353354355356363378403453 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,295 of 8770

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I'm not in here much, but I noticed a couple folks asked about the post-Holiday Mansion.

The extra Ghost Host narration is, indeed, back. I'm personally hoping this extra stuff is turned off again soon.

Leota is floating and following almost an entire year last year of her not being properly synced, she's synced!

Attic is a little iffy. The Bride just never looks right anymore. There was a period after she was first installed that she looked pretty convincing and then they did some minor upgrades, I believe and she looked a little better. But it looks like they can never get her right anymore and more and more she just looks like a mannequin with a veil and a projection. I also noticed some extra light pollution in the attic. Blue light illuminating the back wall, near the ghost pianist. Bummer.

Immediately exiting the attic, a new safety wire guard is up on the ledge that overlooks the graveyard before your buggy turns around for its descent. It's hideous, not necessarily because it's *there,* but because they've decorated it with weird cut-outs that look like they might be trying to mimic the Corridor of Doors wallpaper or something. It's just ugly. I shared a flash pic with someone on Twitter earlier... http://p.twimg.com/Aj-cI3PCMAAtLhi.jpg:large

The speed ramps at the unload have had their "carpet" pattern repainted.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Well, the wallpaper in the mansion overall isn't attractive and it isn't supposed to be. I wonder how it looks in the dark.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Inhospitable about happy

Thanks for all the reports and links, guys.

------------------------

Superpost (And they said the Thread was dead...HA)

THIS is someone you guys should know. He's a bona-fide genius. He runs a whole raft of blogs and websites and is the author or co-author of more than 60 books (including WHOLE DICTIONARIES). That's six zero. And he doesn't even look 40. Amazing fellow.

Anyway, he's a big Haunted Mansion fan, and he leaves nice comments at el bloggo now and then. He's a voracious reader, going through old journals and magazines and other obscure stuff. Probably reads and writes more before breakfast than you or I do in an academic semester. Today I got an email from him explaining that he's found a couple of precursors to the HM, one in a 1902 Cosmopolitan mag and the other in an 1891 The Strand mag.

He's already published the 1902 Cosmo pic HERE, so it's available to see. It illustrates ghosts coming out of a pipe organ as it is played. (Note that there are two organists in the pic, so don't be confused. Look at the lower left. The artwork is not especially clear.)

The second one I have seen but can't share yet, as it's pre-blogged and won't be published until the end of March, but it's even better, showing ghosts sitting alongside someone seated on a bench (or in a vehicle?). It's very much like the (original) HHG mirror gag. In fact, IMO, this drawing could be an actual source of inspiration. You'll see it at the end of March.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Good update, HBG2, and thanks to your source as well!

In other topic...it stands to reason, since no one mentioned it, that there's no sign of the Looney Tunes hitchhikers effect in the Anaheim at reopening?

• Minion

The hitchhikers are the same as always.

Talking Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Praise to the "Powers that Be!"

I'm trying to decipher that organ sketch. "Barrymore" really wasn't much of an artist. Here's what it looks like to moi:

It's a church setting. There's a stained glass window, two pipe organs, and most tellingly, a cross visible on the closer of the two organ lofts. Both organ consoles are in balcony-like lofts well above main floor level. Nothing unusual seems to be happening with the guy playing the larger organ on the right. The second organ loft is illuminated by the light shining through the stained glass window, and a particularly strong beam is shining through a particular spot in the window, directly illuminating the sheet music on the organ console, "electrifying" it in some way. (It's reminiscent of the map room scene in the original Raiders of the Lost Ark.) A large ghost is swooping up out of that organ pit. The caption refers to a number of ghosts flying out of this second organ, but I only see one illustrated in the drawing. For some reason it took me awhile to figure out that there is indeed only the one ghost visible, and he's got his left arm raised high (I thought that his arm was a separate ghost at first, with a sort of crown on its head). His right arm is not visible, although it's tempting to try to find it in that visual spaghetti.

• Yoiks!

I just found what might reasonably be the inspiration for the bat stanchion. It is a gargoyle from the Milan Cathedral which is famous enough to be researched for gargoyles. It is pic 7.
    Name:  Milan2.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  96.0 KB

This gargoyle type could be the inspiration for the PM. This face is common enough. It is on Worth St. between Church and Broadway (NY or Brooklyn).
    Name:  Brooklyn002.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  81.4 KB

Okay, I googled the caption on that organ drawing, and THIS came up. It's a short story by some guy named Arthur E. McFarlane called "The Canonic Curse," published in The Cosmopolitan 33/5 (Sept 1902) 515-23. I read it through. It's a first-rate ghost story (or supernatural thriller, actually). We recall that the Imagineers read lots of old ghost stories and stuff, looking for inspiration.

Contrary to the illustration (which appears as a frontispiece for the issue), no visible spirits show up in the story, just demonic howls, etc. It's about a satanic medieval musical composition that has a pretty nasty effect on anyone who plays it three times. At one point it's called "this banshee music," but otherwise, there's little in the actual story that looks like it could be an influence on the HM. If there is any influence, it would be due to the illustration more than from the story itself.

[Edit: And after reading it, and going back to the illustration, it is clear that the ghostly figure is coming out of the sheet music, not the organ per se]

It really is a well-done story, though, very much in the manner of Poe. Treat yourself.
    Last edited by HBG2; 01-25-2012 at 03:34 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Good tip, HBG2...shall have to look it up!

One more question for those who been to Mansion since re-opened...is the hatchet man painting back? He was absent in October and earlier this month during Holiday, I presumed to make room for the wreath vines, or he was too grim....hope he isn't gone forever...

• Banned User

Yes indeed. The hatchet man portrait is back.

• Member of Baxter's Army

I am curious what the reason for the as of now lack of CG Hitchikers is, whether it's fan backlash, Them trying to work out the kinks in Florida or both.

• Minion

It could also be lack of budget for such an undertaking.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    It could also be lack of budget for such an undertaking.
    With the incredibly cheap TDO running WDW and the relatively generously spending TDA running Disneyland, I think that is unlikely

• Yoiks!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I'm trying to decipher that organ sketch. "Barrymore" really wasn't much of an artist. Here's what it looks like to moi:

It's a church setting. There's a stained glass window, two pipe organs, and most tellingly, a cross visible on the closer of the two organ lofts. Both organ consoles are in balcony-like lofts well above main floor level. Nothing unusual seems to be happening with the guy playing the larger organ on the right. The second organ loft is illuminated by the light shining through the stained glass window, and a particularly strong beam is shining through a particular spot in the window, directly illuminating the sheet music on the organ console, "electrifying" it in some way. (It's reminiscent of the map room scene in the original Raiders of the Lost Ark.) A large ghost is swooping up out of that organ pit. The caption refers to a number of ghosts flying out of this second organ, but I only see one illustrated in the drawing. For some reason it took me awhile to figure out that there is indeed only the one ghost visible, and he's got his left arm raised high (I thought that his arm was a separate ghost at first, with a sort of crown on its head). His right arm is not visible, although it's tempting to try to find it in that visual spaghetti.
    In the picture there are 2 people. Perhaps one is a ghost (although not according to the story). The figures in the stained glass windows might have been confused as ghosts. There is a demonic face on the object in the bottom right corner and a black shadow under it that could be construed as a wraith or 2.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM