Page 355 of 605 FirstFirst ... 255305330345352353354355356357358365380405455 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 9067

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Not sure that would work. You have to be able to see that the board is now "empty" at the bottom position for the gag to make any sense, and for that you need some light, however dimmed or blocked. And virtually any amount of light at that distance is going to reveal the figure.

----------------------------

One of the little chores of keeping a blog is going back and weeding out links that are now dead. Since MasterGracey's blog is kaput, the link there for info on the name "Phineas Pock" was gone, plus there's new Pock material in the new WDW queue, so I rewrote that section of an old post, THAT'S MY QUEUE.

So just FYI, all the Phineas Pock materials, including pix and a soundfile, are now gathered in one convenient spot.
    One thing that still confuses me about the relatively non-objectionable things in PLQ is why they did not replicate the Phineas Pock Epitaph and rather just put his name on it. (Same with the other stones) I mean Carsillo reads the blogs and this thread, right?
    Last edited by HMF; 02-02-2012 at 05:33 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    One thing that still confuses me about the relatively non-objectionable things in PLQ is why they did not replicate the Phineas Pock Epitaph and rather just put his name on it. (Same with the other stones) I mean Carsillo reads the blogs and this thread, right?
    Because neither Gus nor Ezra have traditional epitaphs (never having had tombstones before), and Carsillo has left it deliberately ambiguous whether "Phineas Pock" is Phineas the hitcher or Phineas P. Pock the singer. Notice there's no plain "Phineas" stone alongside Gus and Ez, but at the same time there's no Phineas P. Pock stone either to keep Ned Nub and the other singers' stones company.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Because neither Gus nor Ezra have traditional epitaphs (never having had tombstones before), and Carsillo has left it deliberately ambiguous whether "Phineas Pock" is Phineas the hitcher or Phineas P. Pock the singer. Notice there's no plain "Phineas" stone alongside Gus and Ez, but at the same time there's no Phineas P. Pock stone either to keep Ned Nub and the other singers' stones company.
    I could have written epitaphs for Ez, Gus and the rest, don't know why they can't.

• Yoiks!

Well, that might create a backstory. We all know how much they hate backstories!

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I could have written epitaphs for Ez, Gus and the rest, don't know why they can't.
    Because, like I said, they want the Phineas Pock stone to be ambiguous. Does it belong with Ezra and Gus (in which case he's that Phineas) or does it belong with Ned Nub, Cousin Algernon, etc. (in which case he's Phineas P. Pock, the singer). if they wrote epitaphs for Gus and Ezra, those epitaphs would no doubt have to feature some sort of allusion to their hitchhiking. So the presence of such an allusion or the lack thereof on Phineas's stone would push him one way or the other.

On the other hand, I suppose they could put epitaphs on all of them, and then use the traditional "Here lies Phineas Pock, laid to rest beneath this rock." That's ambiguous enough to still allow him to fit in with either group.
    Last edited by HBG2; 02-03-2012 at 09:06 AM.

On the other hand, I suppose they could put epitaphs on all of them, and then use the traditional "Here lies Phineas Pock, laid to rest beneath this rock." That's ambiguous enough to still allow him to fit in with either group.
    Exactly!

You guys definitely will want to check out the post at GORILLAS DONT BLOG today. It looks like we've got a photo of the white hearse at Disneyland a full 40 years before it was installed there in 1995.

hmm I noticed that the lanterns aren't the same nor is the ironwork inside. It does look very similar though.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Remember, that's 40 years before Disney bought it. And the lanterns are already mismatched on it, if you look; so it was no doubt easiest to just get a new set. It got new wheels, and the ornaments along the bottom were taken off too. Those probably rotted, being natural collection points for rainwater, which would likely seep in to the attachment points.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great post about the hearse and definitely interesting if found a photo of the exact Disneyland model by coincidence...thanks for pointing that out, HBG2!

On the somewhat related topic of ornately sculpted tombstones, enjoy this beauty from Edinburgh, Scotland. The 'cherub' faces definitely have a Mansion-tombstone quality to them.

headstone by Leo Reynolds, on Flickr

Pretty!

• Yoiks!

That is a beautiful headstone.
    It suddenly made me wonder if there is a book that was used for inspiration, or a particular cemetery in designing the tombstones and graveyard.

There may well be a book. The design features of many of the graveyard stones are pretty authentic 16th and 17th century. We've posted pictures before. But I wouldn't be surprised if the whole lot of them took their cue from a book in the WDI library with nice clear photos of one particular old cemetery.

And notice the colors in the photo. The classic green and purple used by the HM and other pop culture representations of spooky stuff: monsters, Halloween, and things that go bump in the night.

"Home Movies of Disneyland - 1960's" is a video at youtube put up by cthulhufae (that's you, isn't it, Regions? or am I getting my nics mixed?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ecfu...eature=related

It looks to me like it dates to 1963 or early 1964 at the latest. It has a long, leisurely, upward-moving pan of the HM. All the sails are on the schooner, so it's prior to mid-64, by which time one had fallen. (See how handy that is?)

I did a composite from screen grabs. The main point of interest is that it proves once again that they left the gate open in those days. The film is blurry, and trying to fix it up gives you this oil painting look. Not unattractive, really.

Last edited by HBG2; 02-08-2012 at 08:24 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Indeed, that is me...home videos shot by my grandfather in that case, actually. Great grab from the footage, more than I ever tried to do with it...it was interesting indeed seeing the gates were just standing open when I first viewed/re-filmed the clips.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM