Page 362 of 581 FirstFirst ... 262312352359360361362363364365372412462 ... LastLast
Results 5,416 to 5,430 of 8712

• Observer

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Someone else will have to respond to the tree thing.

But meanwhile, the trivia train with regard to the exit crypt complex (as I've decided to call it, for want of something better) continues apace. I seemed to recall that the 1974 Sandy Duncan skit about robbing the HM had them exiting through that area. I checked, and my memory was right this time.

There are no good copies of that show floating around, so you have to make do with a bad video. On the plus side, Sandy and Ruth Buzzi run around so much that it's pretty easy to 'shop 'em out of the picture, with very little cheating.

They escape through the emergency exit in the complex (#5 in our diagram). You get a good close-up of the doorknob, and as they run out you can piece together enough screen grabs to provide a view of that structure with the door open. I think the door on the left was simply put there as a prop to hide whatever junk may have been back there. Notice that there is no lintel over it.

Compare that with Data's photo. They put in a normal type of doorknob and moved the ring up.

Fuzzy or not, it's nice to have a 1974 view.

if i may comment on this.... the door you speak of has a stair case behind it that leads under the exit ramp to the unload area.... its where security would take misbehaving guest caught on camara. the door on the left leads to the outdoor custodial break/storage area.. the little door to the left of the ride exit also leads right next to the cemetary where the mansion keeps its extra rope, chains, and signs.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    While we are on the subject of making WDW more like DL, It seems as though the 07 Imagineers went out of their way to purchase a "Secretary" for the WDW Attic's Ambrose tableaux to match the DL one due to the fact that I can find no photos pre-dating 07 with the "Secratary" present.
    Haunted mansion attic image by johntamburriello on Photobucket
    It's not a secretary; it's more of a combination wardrobe and wash stand. There would be a pitcher and bowl on the right side top under the mirror. Looks like a modern reproduction to me, which could explain why the two pieces are so similar. Perhaps it wasn't difficult at all to get another just like the first one.

Edit:
    Upon further inspection, I'm positive it's modern. The left side seems to be a curio cabinet with a glass shelf in the top section, and the door (covered by fabric in the photo) is a curved glass door. It also appears to have a light installed underneath the top shelf. The real thing would have had a flat door on a box-style cabinet on the left with all wooden shelves for storing towels and linens, not a curio cabinet. The rather plain, chunky-looking legs are another give-away that it's modern.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 03-05-2012 at 04:21 AM.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    It's not a secretary; it's more of a combination wardrobe and wash stand. There would be a pitcher and bowl on the right side top under the mirror. Looks like a modern reproduction to me, which could explain why the two pieces are so similar. Perhaps it wasn't difficult at all to get another just like the first one.

Edit:
    Upon further inspection, I'm positive it's modern. The left side seems to be a curio cabinet with glass shelves, and the door (covered by fabric) is a curved glass door. The real thing would have had a flat door box-style cabinet on the left with wooden shelves for storing towels and linens, not a curio cabinet. The rather plain, chunky-looking legs are another give-away that it's modern.
    Regardless of what it is, It is obviously trying to mimic it's DL counterpart
    DAVELAND HAUNTED MANSION PHOTO

• Minion

Regardless of what it is, It is obviously trying to mimic it's DL counterpart
    DAVELAND HAUNTED MANSION PHOTO
    I take it back - both are secretary cabinets. I mistook the desk portion as a flat top in the WDW version, missing the shelf support until I enlarged the photo. However, I still maintain that the WDW version is a modern reproduction, while the DL version is a genuine antique. At least now the curio cabinet side makes sense.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 03-05-2012 at 04:42 AM.

There was a reference to the HM on the pilot episode of GCB last night on ABC.

"Wow. This looks like the Haunted Mansion."
    "Only twice as scary."
    Nothing spectacular, but it's up on Hulu if you want to check it out (3:20 into the show).

---------- Post added 03-05-2012 at 09:11 AM ----------

That's interesting about the crypts. I never even realized there was more than one at the exit.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    if i may comment on this.... the door you speak of has a stair case behind it that leads under the exit ramp to the unload area.... its where security would take misbehaving guest caught on camara. the door on the left leads to the outdoor custodial break/storage area.. the little door to the left of the ride exit also leads right next to the cemetary where the mansion keeps its extra rope, chains, and signs.
    So, just to be clear, that door on the left next to the emergency exit (which is used for other purposes too, as you note) is still there, just like in the photo? And can you describe the smaller structure back there in the corner (which is not seen in these photos, obviously)?
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I take it back - both are secretary cabinets. I mistook the desk portion as a flat top in the WDW version, missing the shelf support until I enlarged the photo. However, I still maintain that the WDW version is a modern reproduction, while the DL version is a genuine antique. At least now the curio cabinet side makes sense.
    Not surprising, considering that the DL one has been there since 69 and was part of a random prop scavenge by WED vs. the WDW Version which was explicitly for the Ambrose tableau and added almost 40 years after the fact. It seems it was indeed added for uniformity with the DL version. However in their defense the Disneyland Attic tended to have far more interesting props (Rebecca statue, Mini-David) than the original WDW version which literally was more or less a dump of random curios.
    For example this DL shot
    http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansio...c/HM_Attic.jpg
    Now here are some original WDW shots
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...R7iYoZUd71xsrA

Notice how much more busy and cluttered the original WDW Attic was,
    Last edited by HMF; 03-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.

• Minion

Not surprising, considering that the DL one has been there since 69 and was part of a random prop scavenge by WED vs. the WDW Version which was explicitly for the Ambrose tableau and added almost 40 years after the fact. It seems it was indeed added for uniformity with the DL version. However in their defense the Disneyland Attic tended to have far more interesting props (Rebecca statue, Mini-David) than the original WDW version which literally was more or less a dump of random curios.
    For example this DL shot
    http://davelandweb.com/hauntedmansio...c/HM_Attic.jpg
    Now here are some original WDW shots
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...R7iYoZUd71xsrA
    http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...tation/Haunted Mansion/v-atticjunk2.jpg
    Notice how much more busy and cluttered the original WDW Attic was,
    That last link doesn't work. I've tried every trick I can think of to get it to work...

The first two photos from DL also show a goof in their choice of period correct props. Something from the late 1940s or early 1950s.

When examining the attic(s), bear in mind that we have very, very little to go on when we speak of the "original" look. At DL, they started out with real antiques in there, but quickly swapped them out for less-valuable junk.

The photographic record for the earliest years is meagre indeed. This is about all I've got from before the 1990's.

If you can do the magic eye thing, this ugly thing becomes a thing of beauty, as you sweep your eyes across the left hand side from about the second window to the left back corner, all in 3D. It's from that old summer of '69 WED footage, of course.

There is hardly anything visible in the Osmonds show from early 1970. A glimpse of the corpse bride at the end, but that's about it.

This is from 1970. Second window again.

These are from that wretched-quality Sandy Duncan special, from 1974.

October 1975, the big-deal photo posted last year showing the corpse bride, but also bits of the attic around her of course.

What do we learn from these? Look closely. The attic was really spare in those early years, not nearly as cluttered, and the stuff that was there tended to be small-ish stuff for the most part, with only a few larger pieces of furniture by comparison with what we've got now. Note that the secretary was there in 1974, and if you look close you can make out the first blast-up's hatbox on the far right in that photo. It was a very different place.
    Last edited by HBG2; 03-06-2012 at 06:21 AM.

And as long as we're rifling through the Duncan tape, here's everyone's favorite birdbath, back in '74, already being used as a planter.

And...the guy who photographed our favorite 1966 Fantasy on Parade shot took a number of photos, actually. I wondered if you could stitch them together. You can, and there's enough overlap to 'shop out all the other floats too, plus the big pink umbrella. So here's a 1966 panorama, with very little cheating.

Last edited by HBG2; 03-06-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: eliminate umbrella poles

Slightly off-topic but it seems the WDW Avatar project has been cancelled. Maybe Cameron's tour of PLQ may have turned him off of the project?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Closed when seeing how ridiculously hipster those kids are. Goddamn.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Any word on the Haunted Mansion movie?

Seems like when it was was announced 2 years ago, there was excitement...then we heard nothing about it after. I thought around this time we would know about the cast or at least who is directing. Or is Guillermo Del Torro still making up his mind? Disney execs didn't like the script? I'm pretty sure he was done with the script/treatment a little over a year ago. Could this be a case of production hell?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM