Page 364 of 616 FirstFirst ... 264314339354361362363364365366367374389414464 ... LastLast
Results 5,446 to 5,460 of 9231

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mystery_Mouse View Post
    I received a silly question today and i just need the nice people here in the thread to help me solve.
    Does the headless horseman have anything to do with HBG?
    Nope. The HBG was just another gag that Marc Davis dreamed up.

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 08:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    Beautiful job piecing together that shot of the exit area! It looks so serene without all those people; like I could ramble about, undisturbed, and enjoy the peace and quiet. Unfortunately for me (not for Disney, nor the Mansion) it gets incredibly busy along that walkway... so busy, that as many times as I have ridden the HM, I have never gotten a good look at that side. Also, I'm sure it doesn't help that those I usually go with rush on to the next ride and don't like to linger very long. I'm ashamed to say that for the longest time, people on this thread would discuss the pet cemetery, and I could not for the life of me figure out where it was. I knew it was on the side I didn't see much of, but that was it. As for the other crypts by the exit, I didn't even know they existed!

The next time I visit, I'm going to take some time and do some exploring, even if that means meeting up with the others later. I don't like missing the good stuff in all the hustle and bustle.
    Thanks, and don't feel bad. I had only the vaguest notion of the particulars of the crypt exit complex until a month ago.

I'm not able to visit DL often, so I can't say I have a worked-out strategy for these things, but I do know that if you get there at opening time, right at the rope drop, and go immediately to the HM, there's hardly anyone there, and on ordinary days it pretty much stays that way for awhile. No one wants to go on Splash Mountain or over to TSI that early. The other rope-droppers are all headed toward Tomorrowland to beat the lines for Star Tours and Space Mountain. The other time that the HM is often almost deserted is just before closing time. The problem is, if you're with family or friends, it's hard to carry out these strategies unless you explain what you're going to do and why beforehand and promise to rejoin the group and act like an adult after you've had your doombug fix. Hopefully they'll understand.

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 09:11 AM ----------

This reminds me of a quality of the DL Mansion that is seldom discussed: quietness and stillness. If you can get there in early morning or some other time when there is hardly anyone around, you can soak in the ambiance of quietness and stillness. It really is a lovely place, with the lawn and gardens, the handsome brickwork everywhere, and the beautiful wrought iron. And the trees. It used to be even more perfect when there was a front yard family plot. Silent as a graveyard, as the saying goes. But the lovely Fastpass gardens fill the void somewhat. Nothing moves. The air is cool in the morning. It's hard to describe the sort of pleasure one gets in just looking at the old birdbath or (especially) the sundial. "Grow old with me; the best is yet to be." Garden people know what I'm talking about. It's tranquil and just a little bit melancholy. Walt was right as usual about what the exterior of the ride should be like.

Of course, the interior winds you slowly into an active vortex of sound and movement, but that's part of the point: the ironic contrast. Looks so serene and peaceful on this side, but on the other side, yet hidden, who could imagine what motion and emotion are churning away.

Hate to indulge in yet another bash, but this is another problem with PLQ. It wiggles and giggles and squirts and squawks. Just what you don't need at this point if you should be so lucky as to get there when no crowds are around.
    Last edited by HBG2; 03-12-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mystery_Mouse View Post
    I received a silly question today and i just need the nice people here in the thread to help me solve.
    Does the headless horseman have anything to do with HBG?

I was just reading the other day about cephalophores (Cephalophore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in Christian legend, and my first throught was, "Just like the Hatbox Ghost!" And my secon thought was of the song "With her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm" (With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm by Stanley Holloway Songfacts)

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very good string of photos, indeed, HBG2, what with the snake door handle, the banshees, and the edited empty walkway.

Not very interesting batch visually, but here are several photos (in the spirit of recent discussion of the rear queue/old cemetery/emergency exit etc) taken not two weeks ago by me of various Mansion exterior angles. Of use or not...who knows, but photo coverage is photo coverage.

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    So my dad on the other side of the country went to WDW today (with my brother).
    He texted me to inform me that the graveyard at HM is different.
    I asked him about the new HHG effect. His answer:
    "I liked the orig hh ghosts better"

BTW, I just realized that the new "stuff" has been there for a whole year now.
    Can you define "Different", Has something changed? A far as PLQ's Anniversary, what can I say other than it's now been 1 year of desecrating the WDW Mansion, bitterly dividing the Mansion Fandom and making discussing the Mansion a lot less fun.
    Last edited by HMF; 03-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.

"Different" meaning PLQ. My dad isn't obsessed with the HM or Disney theme parks.

Love the 8th pic!
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I was just reading the other day about cephalophores (Cephalophore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in Christian legend, and my first throught was, "Just like the Hatbox Ghost!" And my secon thought was of the song "With her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm" (With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm by Stanley Holloway Songfacts)
    Thanks for drawing our attention to that! I've added a note on this to my Headless Knight post at the LF blog (with a hat tip to you).

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Very good string of photos, indeed, HBG2, what with the snake door handle, the banshees, and the edited empty walkway.

Not very interesting batch visually, but here are several photos (in the spirit of recent discussion of the rear queue/old cemetery/emergency exit etc) taken not two weeks ago by me of various Mansion exterior angles. Of use or not...who knows, but photo coverage is photo coverage.
    No need to apologize for those, RB, especially right after I've preached a lengthy sermon on the lovely grounds around the HM.

My lost Viewmaster 3D photo of the Teaparty in the graveyard has one of the bikers in the background. In order to shrink the Teaparty in the foreground down to manageable size so you can "free view" it using the "magic eye" technique, the biker ends up pretty tiny. Methought I'd crop out the biker and make a 3D with just him, so it doesn't have to be shrunk down. It's still not a huge image, but it's a lot better.

What I like best is the way you can make out the mist on the scrim floating between the biker and the tombstones. If you're a bicycle ghost fan, it's nice to let him have his own 3D shot. It's from 1969.

• Minion

[QUOTE=HBG2;1056721714]Thanks for drawing our attention to that! I've added a note on this to my Headless Knight post at the LF blog (with a hat tip to you).

[QUOTE]

I'm honored! Thank you!

Just wanted to pop in and say "Thanks!" to regions. The pics are great!
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

How about a "rumbler" gif?

• Perhaps he knows too much

Floating Leota looked a lot better when I rode on Sunday. Her wires were still catching a bit of light, but I didn't notice that awful squarish projection of light behind her at all this time. Has the mechanism been upgraded at all?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I love that .gif. Seriously.

Great stuff, HBG2.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

I finally heard the Ghost Host laughing when we exited the building. Very cool. (went on the 24 hours leap year day). Wouldn't have noticed it without this thread.

Wife's friend's friend is a younger (20something) Goth girl who had never been but was huge fan (had the records and everything) and it was fun to see her experience the ride for the first time. Like going with a kid or something. It goes by so fast. Gotta go again soon.

---------- Post added 03-13-2012 at 06:45 PM ----------

Question:

What is the story with the guy in the coffin ("Let me Outa Here!") Is he human? Ghost? Zombie? I'm thrown off by that portion, but its very cool.

Still miss the CM Knight knocking on the omnimover.

• en pace

Thanks HBG2! Glad to know I wasn't the only one in the dark with regards to the exit crypts.

Great batch of photos, RB! When it comes to HM photos, more is always better.

Still miss the CM Knight knocking on the omnimover.
    I wish the Knight still resided in the Mansion, but with how people act nowadays (frightened or not) I'd be concerned for his safety. *sigh* I'll just have to be content with imagining how awesome it would be.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM