Page 365 of 583 FirstFirst ... 265315340355362363364365366367368375390415465 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,475 of 8743

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811
    I finally heard the Ghost Host laughing when we exited the building. Very cool. (went on the 24 hours leap year day). Wouldn't have noticed it without this thread.
    That's not the GH. It's either "Gus" or some other ghost.
    Someone posted a blog about it recently. Their interpretation is that it's the house itself getting the last laugh.
    The Last Laugh: Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811
    What is the story with the guy in the coffin ("Let me Outa Here!") Is he human? Ghost? Zombie? I'm thrown off by that portion, but its very cool.
    I'm pretty sure he's a ghost who has just "woken up" and hasn't learned to detach from his former physical body.
    His skeleton is animated by his spirit.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    I finally heard the Ghost Host laughing when we exited the building. Very cool. (went on the 24 hours leap year day). Wouldn't have noticed it without this thread.

Wife's friend's friend is a younger (20something) Goth girl who had never been but was huge fan (had the records and everything) and it was fun to see her experience the ride for the first time. Like going with a kid or something. It goes by so fast. Gotta go again soon.

---------- Post added 03-13-2012 at 06:45 PM ----------

Question:

What is the story with the guy in the coffin ("Let me Outa Here!") Is he human? Ghost? Zombie? I'm thrown off by that portion, but its very cool.
    "All our ghosts have been dying to meet you. This one can hardly contain himself." That piece of the GH monologue was there originally and has been in and out several times over the years. Most people accept it as "canonical." So...he's a ghost having unusual difficulty shuffling off his mortal coil.

---------- Post added 03-13-2012 at 08:55 PM ----------

...as Smelly said, I see.

It's interesting to note that's it's Gus's voice laughing. There's one chance in three that he was the hitchhiker you got, and if you didn't, bear in mind that you're likely with a bunch of people exiting, so either you or somebody right next to you or at most two doombuggy loads away from you now has Gus tagging along after them. I'm sure they didn't plan this, but as it turns out, it makes sense to hear him chuckling as you leave, at least most of the time (i.e. under normal crowd conditions). Another example of accidental coherence, or should we call it serendipity? Whatever it is, it seems to happen a lot at the HM as it came from the original Imagineers' hands. Another reason to leave well enough alone. The HM Muse doesn't seem to be supervising things as closely as she once did, or else she's not found a hospitable environment.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    Thanks HBG2! Glad to know I wasn't the only one in the dark with regards to the exit crypts.

Great batch of photos, RB! When it comes to HM photos, more is always better.

I wish the Knight still resided in the Mansion, but with how people act nowadays (frightened or not) I'd be concerned for his safety. *sigh* I'll just have to be content with imagining how awesome it would be.
    Yea know i never understood why every time the CM knight is brought up the first thing thats mentioned is how dangerous that job was.Every night in october at knotts a hundred costumed haunters come toe to toe with scary farm guests and being a former haunter my self i am well aware you take your chances. But i could only wish i had the luxury of people confined in a dommbuggie it would of made it safer for them and me.

Quote Originally Posted by mansionman View Post
    Yea know i never understood why every time the CM knight is brought up the first thing thats mentioned is how dangerous that job was.Every night in october at knotts a hundred costumed haunters come toe to toe with scary farm guests and being a former haunter my self i am well aware you take your chances. But i could only wish i had the luxury of people confined in a dommbuggie it would of made it safer for them and me.
    Well, part of the safety issue involves the doombuggies themselves. If someone jumps out of it, they can be very seriously injured. You get caught in that groove and those things don't stop, it's bye bye leg. That has happened before. I think they worry about doing something that might trigger a fight-or-flight instinctive reaction.

Maybe the danger would come from potentially tripping and being run over by the Doom Buggies.

EDIT: Pretty much what HBG2 said, only I'm talking about the performer.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    That's not the GH. It's either "Gus" or some other ghost.
    Someone posted a blog about it recently. Their interpretation is that it's the house itself getting the last laugh.
    The Last Laugh: Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog
    Yes, that is Gus, as performed by Candy Candido. That same laugh is heard in the Graveyard scene just past the band near the crypt with the arm coming up out of it holding a teacup.

Quote Originally Posted by mansionman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Well, part of the safety issue involves the doombuggies themselves. If someone jumps out of it, they can be very seriously injured. You get caught in that groove and those things don't stop, it's bye bye leg. That has happened before. I think they worry about doing something that might trigger a fight-or-flight instinctive reaction.
    While I'm not really familiar with Knott's, I think the real difference here is that at Knott's, live actors were expected to be part of the show, whereas at the Mansion, a live actor was totally unexpected, causing the occasional adverse reaction from unsuspecting guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Yes, that is Gus, as performed by Candy Candido. That same laugh is heard in the Graveyard scene just past the band near the crypt with the arm coming up out of it holding a teacup.

While I'm not really familiar with Knott's, I think the real difference here is that at Knott's, live actors were expected to be part of the show, whereas at the Mansion, a live actor was totally unexpected, causing the occasional adverse reaction from unsuspecting guests.
    Yep i think your right i went back to dommbuggies.com to do a little reading up on the knighthe was was givn a remote which all of the manison cast members carry that as the abilityto shut off the ride system.Still they had a number of concerns maybe limb dismemberment should have been one of them but was more along the lines of to scary of kids and people with hart problems.

Also, the idea of the scary knight doesn't fit in with this "family" attraction.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Also, the idea of the scary knight doesn't fit in with this "family" attraction.
    Why not?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Well, I do not know I personally agree...but they removed entirely the pop up heads from the attic, and in years before, took out the shrieks/screams that accompanied them and the ones in the graveyard, plus took out the Knight partly due to guests complaining he was too startling.

Modern management doesn't seem to want/welcome jump scares or startles which are the bread and butter of Knott's Haunt down the road....actions and what they took away from Mansion certainly speak to that theory.

The intelligent thing about the graveyard pop-ups in this regard is that you're looking right at them when they pop up. If they make you jump, it's only going to be an attempt to burrow back further into your seat. I was just now looking at one of the effects blueprints, which shows the direction the doombuggies are pointed at any given point, and in all seven cases they point you at the pop-up well in advance of your arrival directly in front of them, so that if they pop, they did it in front of you, and if not, you either didn't see it at all or else it was a second pop beside you as you were turning or going past and you probably already knew it was there.

These guys thought of everything.

EDIT: It occurred to me that the above might be fun for y'all to see for yourself, so here's the blueprint section. Actually, I should have spoken of all eight pop-ups, inasmuch as there were going to be eight of 'em originally, and the eighth one is still on the blueprint, right next to the singing busts. Anyway, analyze the arrows in the doombuggies in relation to the pop-ups.

Last edited by HBG2; 03-14-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: add stuff

• en pace

I'm assuming the second pic is a model of some kind. Did that row of fake Funeral Cypresses ever make it into the ride? Or have I been far too focused on the singing busts all these years?

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."
    - A.A. Milne

"I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

I wonder if this is the pop-up that would have been there:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    I wonder if this is the pop-up that would have been there:
    I bet you're right!

The funeral cypresses are there, but much smaller than in the scale model.

As for that pop-up, I suspect that they may have intended that particular one to be in front of the band. If you look at Marc Davis's concept art, it appears that they planned to have a water element in the graveyard at one point. Rivulets and muddy streams of rainwater, that sort of thing. You see it in Collin Campbell's artwork as well. Anyway, Davis's artwork has a bunch of frogs joining with the band. I imagine a pop-up was going to come up out of the stream with one of those frogs on his head. Same gag that you see in cartoons all the time: someone steps on stones to cross a creek, and after he does, you see that one of the stones was a turtle. Here, you have frogs sitting on rocks, and the "rock" that one frog has been sitting on isn't a rock. (In one of Davis's band sketches they're sitting on lily pads; in another, they're on rocks.) Elsewhere on the scale model you had a pop-up coming up with a tombstone on his head. It's easy to imagine other possibilities. You see a big, shaggy bush, and it turns out to be the wild hair of a wild-eyed pop-up, etc.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM