Page 366 of 592 FirstFirst ... 266316341356363364365366367368369376391416466 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,490 of 8869

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Geekazoid topic of the day: bushes. There are various bushes and plants in the graveyard scene, of course, and it will come as no surprise to learn that they're used to hide stuff. Spotlights and projectors and whatnot are hidden behind tombstones and crypts and greenery, etc. The problem with plants, however, is that light leaks through. Put a bright light behind a bush, and look at it from the front, and move around. Unless it's a big, thick bush, some light is likely to leak through in spots. In the graveyard scene, where space is at a premium, you can't have huge bushes hogging the tableaux. So how do you keep anything from leaking through the bush? Simple, the bush is really a plywood cut-out with greenery glued on the front, so that it looks like twice the bush it really is. See those funeral cypresses behind the singing busts in the previous post? Want to see what they look like from the back?

Here's a real closeup of a fake bush next to a pop-up at WDW.

The reddish and yellowish colors used for much of the "greenery" looks good under a black light, like real plants.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• en pace

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Wow! Looks like they just hacked that limb right off a tree and stuck it in the tableaux.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Minion

Way too bright over here today. Don't know if someone used the wrong bulb or left a light on that should be off:

IMG_6943 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_6944 by socal_ron, on Flickr

This guy was seen hanging around WoD:

IMG_7083 by socal_ron, on Flickr

• Minion

[QUOTE=Ron W;1056724885]Way too bright over here today. Don't know if someone used the wrong bulb or left a light on that should be off:

Yesterday when I rode the Haunted Mansion I noticed that the ghosts that circle through the walls were not as visible as they usually are.

Way too bright over here today. Don't know if someone used the wrong bulb or left a light on that should be off:

Not the first time this has happened. Here's a pic from a few years back. Different spotlight, though.

Ever since that question about the ballroom window wraiths, I've had my brain stuck on them, so here's a few more random images.

These are stills from that 1969 Hatbox film, darkened up, since the film is overexposed. Something that has not changed one whit (oh, google it; it's a real word).

That's the silhouette of the lion's head corbels you're seeing in places:

And a quick and dirty gif made from a 1990 film:

What the heck; this gif is a rerun. It's made from that same 1969 Hatbox film, plus a modern shot.

Last edited by HBG2; 03-19-2012 at 07:20 AM.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Maybe Disney isn't putting me back inside The Haunted Mansion because they think I'm already there? Get a load of this:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Maybe Disney isn't putting me back inside The Haunted Mansion because they think I'm already there? Get a load of this:

And yet they use generic descriptors on the Hitchhiker action figures and such.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post

This guy was seen hanging around WoD:

IMG_7083 by socal_ron, on Flickr
    I wonder if the wizards at Disney Merchandising realize that they're selling a medium figure of a malfunctioning animatronic dummy, one that reveals how the head vanish illusion was to have been accomplished, and not a representation of the ghost character itself? The actual Hatbox Ghost character was never meant to be seen with two heads. The figure briefly inside the Haunted Mansion attraction only happened to be seen that way because the illusion failed, and it was photographed that way because the reference pictures were taken while the attraction figure was not in operation.

This could be a record of some sort. Has Disney ever commemorated one of its failures before? The previous two Hatbox Ghost figures sold the Big Fig and the D23 Afterlife-size Replica, both crafted by Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily each had only one head visible.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post

Ezra...???? So now they're claiming Hattie is Ezra? Um, no! They're two separate characters. Ezra is tall and agile, while Hattie is short, hunched over, and rather feeble with his shaky cane. Someone should contact them and explain the differences between the two.

Yeah, and Ezra has big hands, with big thumbs. No wait. Thin, skeletal hands. No, that's not right. Now I'm all confused.

My brain hurts.

The HBG is a real anomaly. A famous character only ever barely seen, officially, and it's true that depictions that show both heads are essentially showing the AA, the physical production figure, not the character, which is also odd.

I can't think of anything like it, although it shares some quirks with The Song of the South. That film was last seen in its entirety in 1986, in theatrical re-release. It's never been released on home video or DVD, although parts of it have. And yet Disney carries on as if The Song of the South were as well-known as any other film they've done, with character figures walking around the park and even an entire attraction themed to the film.

---------- Post added 03-20-2012 at 09:07 AM ----------

Some of you may know Carrie Vines (aka "leotaschild"). She and her husband are long-time doombugs, hardcore, and even though I have never met her face to face, she seems like one of the nicest persons you'd ever want to meet.

Anyway, she runs the Haunted Mansion Collectibles blog, and she's had this photo there for awhile that I just discovered yesterday. It's a blurry shot of herself in 1978, age 5, in the HM queue. This is a good example of someone holding on to an old photo they think is of no interest to anyone except themselves, but incorrectly. It's just the kind of thing I was looking for a few weeks back, when I was trying to determine whether this brick planter was original or not.

(This will be the umpteenth time I've used this RegionsBeyond photo for one reason or another. It's really a nice shot)

Here's Carrie's photo:

That planter doesn't look very new in the shot, so I'd say the odds are good that it was indeed original. That means I need to fix my graphic yet again. Time to update your files, kids. Here's the latest:

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The HBG is a real anomaly. A famous character only ever barely seen, officially, and it's true that depictions that show both heads are essentially showing the AA, the physical production figure, not the character, which is also odd.

I can't think of anything like it....
    Well, on the upside, the figure is flying out the door. It's an open edition (supposedly unlimited supply) and they can't keep it in stock. As soon as it's spotted for sale at any of the Disney virtual or actual stores, it's snatched up and sold out immediately. One of my Facebook followers has been trying to buy one for weeks. He keeps phoning and checking and gets absolutely nowhere. You'd think they'd offer to reserve one for the poor kid.

And you'd think that the sales figures alone would be indicator enough for Disney to restore The Hatbox Ghost to The Haunted Mansion attraction. But the company is completely depart-MENTALized. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, nor the difference between Ezra and yours ghoully!

How SAD is that!?

And why not just re-issue the big fig? That's the one that all of The Haunted Mansion fans really want anyway. All these others are just poor substitutes. (Sorry, artists, but it's true.) The Hatbox Ghost big figs are numbered, and first-run editions can be distinguished from newer releases.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

---------- Post added 03-20-2012 at 02:12 PM ----------

You know what's even worse?

The Hatbox Ghost medium figure doesn't even look remotely like it's hitchhiking.

How brain-dead are these mortals?

• Minion

I wonder if they let her bring that bunch of balloons into the Mansion?

*pulls out a needle*

"Hey kid, wanna hear some pop music?"

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I wonder if they let her bring that bunch of balloons into the Mansion?
    As soon as she let go of the rail, she drifted over to Tom Sawyer's Island.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM