Page 368 of 586 FirstFirst ... 268318343358365366367368369370371378393418468 ... LastLast
Results 5,506 to 5,520 of 8780

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Words travels fast -- and so do HBG2's Photoshopped images:

Ain't It Cool News: HAUNTED MANSION Hatbox Ghost?

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 06:08 PM ----------

I just saw that someone else beat me to the "Ain't It Cool" posting.

I don't mind the hat. It would have to be adjusted by wardrobe to fit the performer anyway.

That goes to show that "Ain't It Cool" is reading MiceChat, following one or more of my pages or both.

Ain't we cool!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

According to one of the talkbackers on AICN, this HBG sculpt has nothing to do with the movie.
    As a certifiable Haunted Mansion geek, I can tell you this has nothing to do with Guillermo or the Haunted Mansion (except maybe as fan art). It's a casting from a sculpture that's been for sale for years -- I bought one myself 3 years ago at the October Shadows show over at Rick Baker's studio.
    Someone on FB said that it was sculpted by Martin Astles, who has worked as a makeup effects artist for a ton of movies, including the first POTC.
    Martin Astles - IMDb

• Inhospitable about happy

Here's my adjustment to the hat. What do you guys think?

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Woof. Not a fan of this design (the actual design, not HB2's hat fix). It's the evoked pathos you refer to that's putting me off (the most anyway). This looks like a sad simpleton of a character, whereas the original HBG looks very sharp, like he knows a nasty secret, like he's a creepy prankster. Plus, he has a much better orthodontist.

MUCH better!

Yep, nothing to do with the movie.
    Martin Astles - Artwork - The Victorian Ghoul - Nucleus | Art Gallery and Store
    "The Victorian Ghoul."

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    Woof. Not a fan of this design (the actual design, not HB2's hat fix). It's the evoked pathos you refer to that's putting me off (the most anyway). This looks like a sad simpleton of a character, whereas the original HBG looks very sharp, like he knows a nasty secret, like he's a creepy prankster. Plus, he has a much better orthodontist.
    I think that's merely due to the expression on what's left of this character's face. But a "simpleton"? By no means! This character was once a gentleman or, at least, hoped to give that impression. He is crafty and worldly.

It does need the gold tooth, however. That tooth is one of the character's trademarks.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 03-21-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    "The Victorian Ghoul."
    So...how did this thing end up as a "character" at the Illusions Industries website, labeled as the Hatbox Ghost?

Again, the sculpt has nothing to do with the movie.

EDIT:
    Was replying to TheHatBoxGhost.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    So...how did this thing end up as a "character" at the Illusions Industries website, labeled as the Hatbox Ghost?
    Because it's inspired by the Hatbox Ghost and the guy works for Illusion Industries.

I wish I had an extra $600 laying around. Unfortunately, no pants means no pockets, and no pockets means no wallet.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Maybe the sculptor works at Illusion Industries and he decided to get additional mileage out of it. The figure is appropriate as a character concept model.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 06:45 PM ----------

"The Victorian Ghoul."
    Perhaps, not originally. But that might have changed since.

Again, the sculpt has nothing to do with the movie.

EDIT:
    Was replying to TheHatBoxGhost.

Because it's inspired by the Hatbox Ghost and the guy works for Illusion Industries.
    Ah. Okay. And that was your 666th post, btw.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 06:47 PM ----------

Isn't "The Hatbox Ghost" a Disney trademark by now? You'd think so.

The Victorian Ghoul was presented at the "October Shadows" exhibition in '09, practically a year before the GDT movie announcement.
    October Shadows (presented by Nucleus and Creature Features) - Nucleus | Art Gallery and Store

That doesn't mean that it hasn't been considered as a character concept model for the film. We don't know.

I can imagine Del Toro putting out word that he wants an HBG model, and Astles/Illusions I. saying, "Hey, why not that sculpture done a few years ago, based on the HBG? If Del Toro falls in love with it at first sight, we may nab that gig before the other guys have even plopped the clay on the table."

I still like the figure — A LOT.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 06:55 PM ----------

But I like it better with HBG2's hat adjustment.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 07:00 PM ----------

If the model wasn't in the running, maybe Del Toro will see it and want it now.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM