Page 379 of 559 FirstFirst ... 279329369376377378379380381382389429479 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,685 of 8380

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

No one in the room door! Love it.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Here's a HM fan film:
    HAUNTED MANSION ( FAN FILM ) - YouTube
    I like the part with the bride.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 04-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Alfred Hitchcock - Masters of Cinema (Complete Interview in 1972) - YouTube

Wanted to share this as I thought it was kinda cool. Alfred Hitchcock around the first minute of this interview references going to Disneyland and...the haunted house. Now, he may not have been speaking of the Haunted Mansion, but it's fun to imagine.

• Inhospitable about happy

Back to the Google translation of the Tokyo version...

The title is "The Hunted Mansion." And they're lying about English subtitles. That isn't English. Hunh. Well, we know who won the silly-vs.-scary debate there.

Actually, what you've got is a treasure trove of GREAT sig lines. I like "Inhospitable to happy."
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Back to the Google translation of the Tokyo version...

The title is "The Hunted Mansion." And they're lying about English subtitles. That isn't English. Hunh. Well, we know who won the silly-vs.-scary debate there.

Actually, what you've got is a treasure trove of GREAT sig lines. I like "Inhospitable to happy."
    HBG2, I know I'm obviously late to the game but I absolutely love your blog. I've spent countless hours on LFHM, it makes that dull span of 2:30 - 4:00pm at my blah job fly by so. Just wanted to thank you!

Well thank you, TC. And thanks too, Great Movie Rider. I've clipped that Hitchcock quote and turned into a blog post during the last hour. So yup, there's a new post up. Just a mini-post this time.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Well thank you, TC. And thanks too, Great Movie Rider. I've clipped that Hitchcock quote and turned into a blog post during the last hour. So yup, there's a new post up. Just a mini-post this time.
    Can't wait, I will be saving this for my first read on thee old internet at me old boring job tomorrow morning!

• Larger Than (After)Life

Maybe it's just me, but I think Yankee Candle's "Boney Bunch" line of Halloween decorations has been influenced by a certain bride and groom.

Sorta.

Here's some fun with the cover art of Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery. From 1962. I 'shopped out the titles.

Here's a question about one of the graveyard's ghosts that's been making me wonder where I came across it - specifically the old man with the mummy. Most people seem to think he's just some old guy with a hearing problem or, more bizarrely to me - Father Time. I can swear though I once read somewhere that said the old guy was actually from the Renaissance period (which might explain the floor-length robe he appears to be wearing.) I *think* this was in an official Disney release about the HM just at opening. Anyone else recall seeing it?

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    Here's a question about one of the graveyard's ghosts that's been making me wonder where I came across it - specifically the old man with the mummy. Most people seem to think he's just some old guy with a hearing problem or, more bizarrely to me - Father Time. I can swear though I once read somewhere that said the old guy was actually from the Renaissance period (which might explain the floor-length robe he appears to be wearing.) I *think* this was in an official Disney release about the HM just at opening. Anyone else recall seeing it?
    Your memory is accurate. The passage is in Frank Allnutt's summary of the soon-to-open HM in a summer 1969 release. He was WED's public relations manager. Allnutt says that the old man is "a venerable, bearded oracle of the Renaissance period," whatever the hell that is.

Interest in oracular literature during the Renaissance mushroomed, thanks to the publication and translation of old Greek manuscripts. The standard collection of ancient oracular literature was called the Sibylline Oracles. Actually, this material is mostly of Jewish and Christian origin, although there are some passages that could be of pagan origin, incorporated into the whole. If you look at the Sistine Chapel ceiling, you'll see two rows of prophets up there; one is the male Hebrew prophets (known from their Old Testament books) and the other is the "Sibyls," female pagan prophets who were also thought to foresee the advent of Christ, etc. This was because the Sibylline Oracles were so well-known by that point that they had penetrated the public consciousness, and they were taken at face value as products of pagan antiquity.

An "oracle" is a person as well as a prophetic message, a prophet as well as prophecy. That explains Allnutt's language. But how a bearded old man in a plain robe fits into all of this is beyond me. Whatever he's supposed to be, he must be judged a failure in that he is not a figure familiar from any sort of common popular cultural background. I suppose I know a little more about this stuff than the average Joe, and I can't place him at all. The fascination he displays with whatever the mummy's spirit might have to say is more in line with the Victorian mummy craze.

• Resident of the Caldera

I was recently in Tokyo Disneyland and happy to see an effect unique to their Haunted Mansion working once again after several years. This is the painting in the Corridor of Doors where the face pushes out toward you for about a foot. They've used one of the pop-up Ghost heads on a piston, and it is behind a rubber painting--the image is part of a stretching room painting showing a man's head. The thing is creepy as hell, particularly since you go by it pretty quickly and aren't really sure if you saw it or not. Has anyone ever posted footage of this on YouTube?

It's really something to see, along with the other unique "plusses" in the Tokyo Mansion: The walking book, and the book whose pages turn by themselves in the library; the first floating candelabra on the balcony just before you leave exit the load area; and this is the last place in the world to see the gallery of paintings whose eyes follow you. There is also an a plussed effect in the Corridor of Doors: one of the doors has green monsterish hands over the top, having bent the upper part of the door open. Smoke and terrible sounds come from behind it. And the scrims are so clean in the graveyard that they're invisible and the amount you can see clearly of the inhabitants is amazing. They also appear to have a lot more movements than the AAs in the US parks' graveyards.

On the down side, they still have the old spider room like Orlando (though Tokyo's spiders all have articulated and moving legs), so no upside-down room; Madame Leota's globe does not float; and the old bride is still up in the attick with her green face and beating heart.

For a real Haunted Mansion nut, it's definitely worth a trip to see it during the part of the year when Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare is not overlaid.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

There is a superb, two-part, ride-thru video of the Tokyo HM that shows most of the features you mention.

Haunted Mansion (Tokyo Disneyland) Pt. 1 - YouTube

Haunted Mansion (Tokyo Disneyland) Pt. 2 - YouTube

Here are screen grabs of the push-out face effect:

"On the down side, they still have the old spider room like Orlando (though Tokyo's spiders all have articulated and moving legs), so no upside-down room; Madame Leota's globe does not float; and the old bride is still up in the attick with her green face and beating heart."

So what's the "down side"? I wish all those things were back at the WDW mansion.

I don't see the old bride as a down-side. Love that push-out portrait effect! That's really cool. Thanks for posting.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM