Page 380 of 618 FirstFirst ... 280330355370377378379380381382383390405430480 ... LastLast
Results 5,686 to 5,700 of 9267

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNYBIX38 View Post
    "On the down side, they still have the old spider room like Orlando (though Tokyo's spiders all have articulated and moving legs), so no upside-down room; Madame Leota's globe does not float; and the old bride is still up in the attick with her green face and beating heart."

So what's the "down side"? I wish all those things were back at the WDW mansion.
    I know! I often wish I had the money to go to Japan just to see the attic as it was meant to be seen!

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

A few more shots of the push-out face:

It's said that the latex stretching and relaxing pretty much ruins the painting on it fairly quickly, and the portrait needs to be repainted every few weeks, but the effect is thought to be worth it.

As for the differences from WDW, opinions among hardcore Mansionites vary. I think a solid majority of the hardcore fans dislike Constance and prefer the old bride (or one of the older brides, anyway). Opinion about floating Leota is more closely divided, although here too I think the old tabletop model is preferred, but by a slimmer margin. As for the spiders, I think JohnnyB would himself admit that he is probably in a minority in preferring the old spiders to the Grand Staircase tableau. That's my read, anyway.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    It's really something to see, along with the other unique "plusses" in the Tokyo Mansion: The walking book, and the book whose pages turn by themselves in the library; the first floating candelabra on the balcony just before you leave exit the load area; and this is the last place in the world to see the gallery of paintings whose eyes follow you. There is also an a plussed effect in the Corridor of Doors: one of the doors has green monsterish hands over the top, having bent the upper part of the door open. Smoke and terrible sounds come from behind it. And the scrims are so clean in the graveyard that they're invisible and the amount you can see clearly of the inhabitants is amazing. They also appear to have a lot more movements than the AAs in the US parks' graveyards.
    Isn't the hands pushing the corner of the door open still used at all three Mansions? The last door as the Doombuggies turn to face the clock. They used to have the growling sound effect with it, but I think the sound effect has been changed/deleted in recent years...

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Isn't the hands pushing the corner of the door open still used at all three Mansions?
    No. It used to be there at WDW, but they removed the hands during the 2007 rehab, so that element is now missing. DL has never had this effect. The two bulging doors at DL are latex and never leave the door frames. No cracks. They just bulge outward.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNYBIX38 View Post
    "On the down side, they still have the old spider room like Orlando (though Tokyo's spiders all have articulated and moving legs), so no upside-down room; Madame Leota's globe does not float; and the old bride is still up in the attick with her green face and beating heart."

So what's the "down side"? I wish all those things were back at the WDW mansion.
    You are in a vast minority there.

---------- Post added 04-23-2012 at 06:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I know! I often wish I had the money to go to Japan just to see the attic as it was meant to be seen!
    The way it was meant to be seen disappeared with the Hatbox Ghost.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    No. It used to be there at WDW, but they removed the hands during the 2007 rehab, so that element is now missing. DL has never had this effect. The two bulging doors at DL are latex and never leave the door frames. No cracks. They just bulge outward.
    DL has TWO bulging/breathing doors??? That doesn't make much sense... Why would they have two of them? Particularly since they have one less door than WDW or Tokyo, why would they repeat the same effect?

I could swear I have older video of DL's COD with the hands on the door and the growling sound effect.

I am now so confused...

Nope, DL has never had that kind of door.

DL's doors:
    Coffin side: clacker, handle jiggler, emergency exit, bulging door
    Clock side: door that does nothing, [mirror and table], clacker, bulging door

Fun with gifs

HBG2,

Any theories on why the growly-hands door wasn't in the DL Mansion? Wasn't the audio recorded along with the other originals? And further, why do you imagine it was removed from WDW in the rehab?
    Last edited by RobotWolf; 04-24-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Banned User

I had an unusual experience on the Mansion today at the ballroom scene. For some reason, a control panel next to the AA's that are reflected on the chandlier was not covered or masked. As aresult it got caught up in the Peppers Ghost effect. So there was this control panel with a vertical row of blinking green lights seemingly floating in the air! Confusing for first timers perhaps but an interesting glich for Mansion veterans I think!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    HBG2,

Any theories on why the growly-hands door wasn't in the DL Mansion? Wasn't the audio recorded along with the other originals? And further, why do you imagine it was removed from WDW in the rehab?
    And: what is there now?

• Yoiks!

I think the hands were removed because they kept falling off. Now it is simply a door. Another factor might (remotely IMO) is the fact that they seem to be making WDW into a mirror of DL. There was a link posted on this topic a few pages back.

I loved those hands and would be happy to fix them nightly just to keep them.

I don't think any change has been made to the audio effects. Also, someone who frequents the Florida HM can confirm this, but I think the now-handless door at WDW is still animated as before in that it bends out of the frame at the top.

Foxxy, over at Passport to Dreams Old & New, discussed exactly this effect during the course of a blog post on the lamentable Disneylandification of Orlando. She makes a strong case that the WDW HM has been altered in various ways so as to conform to the Anaheim original, and the removal of the COD door hands is just one example. That may well be the real reason they were removed. If so, too bad, since it is an original Marc Davis idea. I can't believe they had trouble keeping them on. Where they bend over on to the back of the door, just put a couple of screws through them into the door. They won't come off.

Yup, the door frame still gets pushed out in the upper right frame apparently now all by itself. (Or at least that's how it was in my visit in 2008. As far as I can tell too there's no longer any sound effect of the growling heard there either - certainly not the track heard at DL.) I also don't think it had anything to do with the hands coming loose - they've always been there on all the trips I've taken since 1973. I always thought they were a neat tie-in to the next scene right afterward with the shadow-claws over the grandfather clock - as if the denizen behind that door had now managed to escape and was now behind your doom-buggy reaching out for us...

• Minion

To me, they seemed to be the same hands as the Coffin Occupant. Same position, too.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM