Page 381 of 608 FirstFirst ... 281331356371378379380381382383384391406431481 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,715 of 9108

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

The growling sound is still there, but at a lower pitch so it sounds more demonic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost
    To me, they seemed to be the same hands as the Coffin Occupant. Same position, too.
    I distinctly remember the hands on the door being fleshier and with fingernails, but I think they eventually replaced those with duplicates of the coffin hands.

Surely there are photos floating around somewhere on the web.

---------- Post added 04-25-2012 at 04:29 PM ----------

DoomBuggies.com has a pic:

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

The similarity to the coffin lid in the placement of the hands may be a way to emphasize the idea that the house itself is like a coffin, keeping the ghosts from getting out and about. Since the GH calls the coffin occupant a "ghost," you are invited to see the twin impediments of the physical body and of the wooden box as much the same type of problem. Body as house, house as body. Until Leota applies her skills, the spirits are unable to break free from either the one or the other, or in some cases both.

---------- Post added 04-25-2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    The growling sound is still there, but at a lower pitch so it sounds more demonic.

I distinctly remember the hands on the door being fleshier and with fingernails, but I think they eventually replaced those with duplicates of the coffin hands.
    Smelly, you're going to like an upcoming post. I'm going to discuss your alternate interpretation of the current house as a remodel of an older house, with the original form increasingly visible as we see it more and more from the ghosts' POV.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Looking forward to it!

There's a new-ish youtube video up with a March 16 1994 ride-thru of the DL HM. Considering the age, it's not terrible, but it's blurry. For me, the big catch is good ol' Purply Shroud in the Sťance circle. I had to twiddle some knobs to make him clearly visible, but he's there. These pathetic-looking smudges may not look like much to y'all, but they are nevertheless the best photos of the DL Purply that I have yet seen.

Other highlights: berm graveyard briefly and blurrily glimpsed, attic blast-ups, black-faced round-eyed bride headed into her last year (these March 94 pix are now the latest of her that I have).

---------- Post added 04-26-2012 at 05:33 PM ----------

Blurry. Pixels breaking up. But I love this guy.

Last edited by HBG2; 04-26-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Here's another question about the mummy/old man scene - although this time focusing on the dog to their left. Is this supposed to be the same dog we saw with the caretaker at the gated entrance? (Sure looks like the same dog, only turned the other way. Maybe he lost his fear unlike his human master and decided to investigate things further?) I remember Marc Davis' original artwork of the scene which showed not only the mummy and old man, but a 3rd figure resembling a woman from the Elizabethan Period (I think), but can't recall if the dog was included there as well. Also was the DL version of this dog always seen as a "living" thing? 'Cause the WDW version for many years was lit blue like the other ghosts in the scene - leading one to think it was as dead as the rest...

• Minion

Yes, it's the Caretaker's dog come in search of some bones. He must really be hungry, since you can see his ribs! Why the lighting in WDW was changed to blue, I have no clue.

It's in the concept art too.

I think it's supposed to be the same dog, but others think they're two different dogs. If that's the same raven you see everywhere, I don't know why anyone would think the two dogs are two dogs, since they're identical.

The "ghostification" of the dog is already underway in the earliest photography. He's all blue like the mummy and old man in the Viewmaster shot, the Panavue slide, and the 12 Funtastic scenes postcard. I think the DL spotlighting to separate him off from the others and show him as a real dog may have been an attempt to get back to Davis's concept art, where he appears to be a real dog. That makes a lot more sense, since the Caretaker's dog is real, and this one looks like it's the same one. Otherwise, what? Did someone kill the dog between there and here? Did it die of fright? (But then, why is it still so scared?)

HBG2, you just jogged my memory when you mentioned those Viewmaster/Panavue/ postcard views of that scene. Now you got me wondering if it's actually those DL HM versions of that scene I actually remember instead and not what I saw at WDW. Any video footage I have doesn't help either (unless it's nightvision) as he could not really be seen at all in normal lighting... A correction - I just checked out my earliest video of HM from 1991 and that dog shows up quite nicely - and blue.
    Last edited by HMfanatic; 04-27-2012 at 05:41 PM.

I'm actually working on about three new blog posts at once, so I don't know which will be next. Here's a sneak preview from one of them. This is from a 1986 BBC production of "The Yellow Wallpaper."

This one turned out very nice. One of my favorite mini-masterpieces at the Mansion, and one of the best arguments in favor of the Anaheim original, IMO. You can stand in front of this window and look out of it. One of the easiest places to believe you're really in a haunted house. The lightning in this gif is from actual photos of the lightning in the window. Some of you non-Disneylanders may not be aware that there is also a rain effect in the cyclorama outside the window. It mimics the look of rain as it is passes by an illuminated window (the backside of water!). A football-shaped mirror ball (like a disco ball) spins horizontally, and the light shining on it produces a flow of little descending light streaks on a scrim. You have to look downward through the window to really see it, so it rarely shows up in photos. "Rarely" as in "never."

Last edited by HBG2; 04-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.

I recently bought a Disneyland AP and went one day last week and yesterday.
    I like the new Star Tours better than the old version.

Not much HM stuff to report. Just the usual complaints:
    *Spanish safety spiel (ruins it for me)
    *Bad audio quality in the Doom Buggies, no audio on at least one trip
    *Lighting too bright in certain areas
    *The face projection in Leota's room wasn't working
    *Pop-up ghosts too slow and most were out of sync
    *The out-of-place "step out to your left" audio at the end

On a couple of trips through, I stayed behind when everyone was let out of the Stretching Room and was alone in the Portrait Hallway. That was pretty cool.

I noticed that the "Gus" next to the Executioner actually has quite a bit of movement. Looks like he's dancing.

Has anyone posted pictures of the dollhouse in the attic? There's a dollhouse that looks like a Phantom Manor-type of mansion.

Yeah ths past year has been rough for the HM as far as audio. The 3rd year of my AP started last August and apart from HMH and a few random trips, the audio has been sketchy--gone entirely, distorted, intermittent...really bad.

• en pace

Hey fellow Mansionites! I'm going to DL tomorrow, and was wondering if there was some little-photographed piece of the HM that I should try to get some pics of? I don't know if my camera will do so well in the ride, though I'll keep it with me in case, and outside shouldn't be a problem. Any suggestions?
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    Hey fellow Mansionites! I'm going to DL tomorrow, and was wondering if there was some little-photographed piece of the HM that I should try to get some pics of? I don't know if my camera will do so well in the ride, though I'll keep it with me in case, and outside shouldn't be a problem. Any suggestions?
    Preferably where the Hatbox Ghost should be.

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    Well, if you can get a photo of the rain effect outside the changing portrait hall windows, you'd be the first. Probably a real challenge, though, and probably needs a very good camera indeed.

-------------

NEW POST UP AT THE OLD BLOGGERAMA

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM