Page 382 of 581 FirstFirst ... 282332372379380381382383384385392432482 ... LastLast
Results 5,716 to 5,730 of 8712

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

[QUOTE=HBG2;1056751176]Well, if you can get a photo of the rain effect outside the changing portrait hall windows, you'd be the first. Probably a real challenge, though, and probably needs a very good camera indeed.

that is truly one of my favorite effects ever. as a kid I would just stare out those windows and wonder what's out there and how far it goes...

i think it's the same reason i used to (and still do!) love the Rankin and Bass animagic programs. the backgrounds just have so much depth that feeds the imagination..

the effect in the mansion just seems to triple the real estate and adds to the mood of isolation. whenever I can I still insist on lagging behind to look out the windows.

just think, today in their brilliance they would probably create the effect with a flat screen and 3D glasses!

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

"Cool! Push the nose on the bat stantions and the lightning flashes!"

---------- Post added 05-05-2012 at 09:54 AM ----------

Good Lord, there are 900 people looking at the new post right now. It got boing-boinged.

---------- Post added 05-05-2012 at 09:57 AM ----------

I quote our own azagnos in the post, so I guess that makes him an instant celebrity. There'll be no living with him now.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Jiminy crickets. 3000 views. 7th highest ever. Smelly should be pleased.

• We Go On.

AMAZING post. Maybe there was a reason you didn't have your book published yet, HBG2. That post could have been the whole basis for a book in itself! You took something I thought was a farfetched theory and you've convinced me. Amazing detective work. Bravo.

Thanks. But that's nothing, before I'm through I'll have you believing dozens of far-fetched things. Wait till we get to the pink unicorns, boyo.

• Minion

What's all this about Fast-Pass has returned to the Mansion? A CM is saying "it isn't really Fast Pass". Um, ok - so what is it then?

Seeing as how it's the Mansion...

"Last Pass"?

-------------

Smelly should be VERY happy. Within a few hours at most, the latest blog post will be the fifth highest of all time in viewership, out of 82 posts. If he gives me the correct spelling of Swinehart, I'll replace the "S." with it, if he so desires.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quite excellent blog post, HBG2! Really puts into words things I kind of absently presumed about the Mansion as a ride experience/story (I tend to view it as the Parallel World option, myself). Really good stuff there.

And now, with the indulgence of the Threadsters, a flickr round up of notable Mansion-related images from around the globe:

And this first one might be titled "The Disney Difference": other attractions try, but don't quite understand what makes the 'witty tombstone inscription' trope work at the Mansions.

Mysterious Mansion 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Anaheim pop-up:

Disneyland Haunted Mansion - Corpse by K447, on Flickr

One of the best photos I've seen of the ballroom windows with lightning, though the rest is obviously a blurfest.

Haunted Mansion by VictoriaWilliams, on Flickr

Florida hatchet man portrait:

Haunted Mansion - Corridor of Doors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am fond of these myself precisely due to the 'cheese factor', but these level of puns at least were there more overtly at WDW than the Disneyland crypts outside before PLQ. Wee G. Bord and Meta Fisiks are particularly groan-worthy.

E) haunted mansion crypts by Trir XD, on Flickr

The most elaborate cemetery 'grave' at Phantom Manor, and an interesting one, if not very realistic compared with most of the rest. Anyone out there know if this has associated effects, like at Knott's Boot Hill? Rumbling sound effects or shaking or such.

021 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That pop-up shot is GREAT. That's the one in front of the band, in case anyone is wondering.

Meanwhile, the juggernaut continues. I think "Ghostland" is going to wind up #4 of all time. It's unreal. (#1 is the "Many Faces of the Tightrope Walker," #2 is "Many Faces of the Other Stretching Portraits," and #3 is "A Weirder HM." Current #4 is "Famous Ghosts...").

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    What's all this about Fast-Pass has returned to the Mansion? A CM is saying "it isn't really Fast Pass". Um, ok - so what is it then?
    Disney's new nextgen Ride Reservation system.

• Minion

Here's something from another forum I occasionally read, if anyone is interested:

"Haunted Mansion Tombstones
    These are replica tombstones from The Haunted Mansion ride from Disney World. *They are CNC cut from three layers of rigid pink foam. They measure approximately 24" wide to give you an idea of scale and are 2.5" thick.

The center layer has slits cut into it to slide wooden stakes(not included) for installation in the yard.

They will ship carved and cut, but still need to be assembled and finished. *For assembly, I use Titebond 3 to glue the layers together. For finishing I use standard exterior latex primer and paint.

Cost is $50 per tombstone plus shipping.

"

the RPF

• Minion

Woodens stakes not included?

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Woodens stakes not included?
    Well, yeah. You can't get Hemlock lumber just anywhere, then you have to get it milled into the right size stakes. And trying to use Southern Yellow Pine against the Undead just isn't going to work the same...

And I suppose you'd use Dogwood on a werewolf...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Perhaps he knows too much

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

I quote our own azagnos in the post, so I guess that makes him an instant celebrity. There'll be no living with him now.
    Thanks for the shout-out HBG2! I'm not even gonna sweat the slight name misspelling; such is the price of having deliberately chosen an irrational pseudonym.

People have argued that Kubrick used some of the same disorienting techniques that I was talking about in The Shining, though based on the possibly spurious assumption that Kubrick, fastidious as he was, was incapable of mere continuity error.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM