Page 387 of 643 FirstFirst ... 287337362377384385386387388389390397412437487 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,805 of 9644

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    [/COLOR]I've done some MAJOR updating to the "Ghostland" post at the blog. I just realized yesterday that the Parallel World paradigm has one crushingly obvious piece of evidence in its favor, proving that this dynamic is certainly and deliberately in use at the HM:

The ballroom dancers swirl right through the furniture, like it isn't there.

Duh. Once again the obvious is overlooked.

So it isn't a question of whether the Parallel World dynamic is there, it's only a question of whether it's the dominant paradigm in explaining the story.
    On the other hand, the party is taking place on (the candle blower), around (the guests) and under (the legs sticking out the front) a solid table. There are ghosts in, and swinging from, the chandelier. There's a ghost rocking in a rocking chair and an organist playing a physical organ whose music we hear with our own ears.

The dancers could simply be moving through the furniture because they *can*. The ghosts flying through the window are not doing something they would have done in any parallel world, assuming they're not dead superheroes, so there are ghosts there doing entirely ghostly things regardless of the physical setting (though it's interesting that they respect the fact that a window *can* be an entrance instead of simply going through solid wall, more evidence that they're conscious of the ballroom architecture).

In your own words defining the Spirit Possession paradigm "we see that the spirits are quite happy once they're able to materialize in their very own, visible, astral bodies" and I think this can explain the various behaviors apparent in the ballroom. The post-Leota, self-aware ghosts of the ballroom will consciously choose to sit, fly, dance, and acknowledge or ignore solid objects in their environment (the ballroom) as they see fit for their amusement.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

This photo-op recently appeared near the exit of the WDW Mansion.
    New Haunted Mansion photo op at the ride exit on Twitpic

Not to be nit-picky, but aside from the tackiness of the photo-op, isn't "...lost by accident" redundant? After all, how many people lose things on purpose? I don't know, it just seems really tacky and not "Disney-like" - "Knotts-like," or "Magic-Mountain-like," perhaps.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

...yeah, not a fan of that. "You, too, can be just like those loveable scamps the Dread family!"

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    On the other hand, the party is taking place on (the candle blower), around (the guests) and under (the legs sticking out the front) a solid table. There are ghosts in, and swinging from, the chandelier. There's a ghost rocking in a rocking chair and an organist playing a physical organ whose music we hear with our own ears.

The dancers could simply be moving through the furniture because they *can*. The ghosts flying through the window are not doing something they would have done in any parallel world, assuming they're not dead superheroes, so there are ghosts there doing entirely ghostly things regardless of the physical setting (though it's interesting that they respect the fact that a window *can* be an entrance instead of simply going through solid wall, more evidence that they're conscious of the ballroom architecture).

In your own words defining the Spirit Possession paradigm "we see that the spirits are quite happy once they're able to materialize in their very own, visible, astral bodies" and I think this can explain the various behaviors apparent in the ballroom. The post-Leota, self-aware ghosts of the ballroom will consciously choose to sit, fly, dance, and acknowledge or ignore solid objects in their environment (the ballroom) as they see fit for their amusement.
    The problem is that the ghostly phenomena have to make sense in terms of well-known ghost lore. We don't know why ghosts respect the architecture of a place they knew in life, but they do. They walk up stairs and down halls. They pause at doors and look through windows, etc. They affect physical objects in some inexplicable way, producing creaks in the woodwork from their weight, as if they were still embodied. Throwing objects. They don't just wander through physical objects "because they can," because, well, evidently they can't. The "rules" of common ghost lore say that they continue to use the building that was there when they were alive, even if it has been dramatically remodeled. Evidently, that dining table and rocking chair have been where they are for a very long time, but the dancing area used to be kept clear.

---------- Post added 05-24-2012 at 11:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    This photo-op recently appeared near the exit of the WDW Mansion.
    New Haunted Mansion photo op at the ride exit on Twitpic
    Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Not to be nit-picky, but aside from the tackiness of the photo-op, isn't "...lost by accident" redundant? After all, how many people lose things on purpose? I don't know, it just seems really tacky and not "Disney-like" - "Knotts-like," or "Magic-Mountain-like," perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    ...yeah, not a fan of that. "You, too, can be just like those loveable scamps the Dread family!"

I don't care for it either, but it doesn't bother me that much. It's like the HM souvenirs you can buy at Leota's cart. It's strictly a Disneyland fixture, a reference back to the ride, beyond the penumbra of the ride itself.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Now here's something.

If you're into old New England gravestones, check out the Farber Collection. Very high quality bw photos of over thirteen and a half thousand of them. It's an incredible set.

I found some close parallels to HM gravestones in there.

It also turns out that the "knobby" headstones that are used here and there in the background are also an authentic New England style.

Last edited by HBG2; 05-26-2012 at 02:57 PM.

New post up at Der Bloggenstein.

Ulp. Anyone ever notice that there are people in the building the Arsonist has set aflame? He's a VERY bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Here's an elevator picture i took recently:
    THAT is gorgeous!

^

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Ulp. Anyone ever notice that there are people in the building the Arsonist has set aflame? He's a VERY bad boy.

WOW!, Never noticed that,

Post has only been up one day, and I'm already adding an item to it. I'll put it here too.

We're so used to identifying as skulls the little sculpted figures on the top edge of the wainscoting in the portrait hall (DL) or loading area (WDW/Tokyo) that it's hard to wipe the slate clean and look at them again with fresh, unprejudiced eyes.

Tell me, do they truly look more like skulls than like . . . something else?

Crude and quick, but does the trick. Look how well the teeth line up and the eyes line up.

Last edited by HBG2; 05-27-2012 at 09:23 PM.

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

According to the new Orlando Parkhopper, this was added outside the Haunted Mansion. I don't have much to say about this other than
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.

Interesting story from a veteran Orlando Maid.

The 2007 refurb Imagineers thanked the CM staff by hiding 13 references to the HMH in the HM. Some have been found by guests (I remember one or two showing up on GRD's old blog) and I've seen a picture of the hidden Sally doll in the attic, but there were others that could only be found by CMs, being out of sight from guests.

Anyway, the last one found, #13, was this:

In the Master Gracey morphing portrait in the foyer, when he's in his final, skeletonized state, the face of Jack Skellington is visible between his eyebrows.

According to today's Orlando Parkhopper WDW's Pet Cemetery has been removed.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM