Page 388 of 591 FirstFirst ... 288338363378385386387388389390391398413438488 ... LastLast
Results 5,806 to 5,820 of 8862

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Any guesses as to what will replace it? I'm thinking PLQ2, with interactive animal graves. Maybe the black cat on the composer's crypt was a harbinger.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Man, what is WITH those people who won't stop messing with the Orlando Mansion? It's like a scab they can't stop picking.

Maybe they removed the pet cemetary because someone noticed that the exterior or the Mansion is starting to look like that house all the neighbors complain about because they've got a front yard filled with old cars up on blocks and planters made out of disused toilet bowls.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    According to today's Orlando Parkhopper WDW's Pet Cemetery has been removed.
    Ugh! Stop already! Just. Stop.

• Member of Baxter's Army

False alarm, Pet Cemetery is still there.

So...the major update at the most recent blog post has gelled into a new theory: the "skulls" in the woodwork aren't skulls at all and never were intended to be. Since this woodwork was originally going to be used also in the COD, going back even to the Endless Hallway area, and on top of that the demon-eye wallpaper was going to be used that far back as well (as it is now at WDW), the "skulls" are really intended to blend stylistically with that wallpaper, and actually they're renderings of a couple of the imps in that wallpaper, albeit heavily stylized renderings.

If that theory is true, it's a real discovery, IMO. But what do you guys think? Convincing or not?

I still think they're skulls.

EDIT:
    Or faces with long tongues hanging out.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 05-31-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Or...

...do the carvings combine features from more than one wall imp?

There's this...

...but then there's this...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

That second shape comparison looks pretty damn close to me, Dan. Good eye, and the mouth shape/three teeth points both have rather speaks about it being more than a coincidence. Fascinating find, really, if it truly was designed that way to be part of the door corridor from the get-go but got thwarted from that for whatever reason.

• Minion

I always thought they were owls. I guess I was influenced by the carved owl faces in Snow White's Scary Adventures.

They do look a lot like owls, except owls don't have teeth, and it's hard to resist the notion that those parallel pegs represent teeth in some way. At least I find the notion hard to resist.

This isn't relevant to the current discussion, but I just realized something.
    There may be support for the PW paradigm in the first line of the HM's script:

"When hinges creak in doorless chambers..."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

*smacks self in forehead*

Well, obviously. There the whole time right in front of us.

The 'reality' for a ghost when it was alive having now-non existent doors (in the physical current structure) would certainly provide that phenomenon. Likely unintentional wordplay on X's part, I daresay, or just trying for the right combo of spooky words, but it does correlate to the dancing through the furniture example.

The verse is trying through sheer logic to convince you of the presence of ghosts.

Q: What must you conclude when you encounter sights and sounds that have no natural explanation?

A: You must resort in such cases to a supernatural explanation. In this case, it is that ghosts are present.

I hear the sound of doors creaking, but that can't be; there are no doors nearby.
    The candle flames are flickering, but that can't be; the air is utterly still.

Do you remember the one premise necessary for accepting the HM experience as a representation of the real world? You must believe that ghosts are real. So literally the first words you hear, the first words out of the GH's mouth, are a rational argument proving (supposedly) that ghosts are real and present.

The sound of a creaking door is of course a cliché. No spooky sound effects record is complete without it. The question is, is it the sound of a now-invisible door, that is, a door in another dimension? Or is it a door somewhere else in the building, offstage, raising the fear that a prowler has entered—no doubt carrying a bloody axe or something dreadful like that?

In our case, I think the GH is validating the first view, the PW view. That makes the best sense of his specific wording, but I also think that overfamiliarity with the creaking door sound effect blunts the impact, and the implication is easily missed.

• Minion

I was leaning toward a past world rather than a parallel one: the dancers move through the furniture because it wasn't there when they were alive; the door that used to be in this frame still squeaks like phantom pain in a missing limb. But it's really the same thing, isn't it? A world that existed in the past is still a parallel one, as much as one that exists in some other dimension.

Yeah, you can conceive of a parallel world with only a spatial but not a temporal distinction (e.g., an earthly temple that coexists as a deity's heavenly throne room), but with anything having to do with ghosts you automatically have a temporal distinction, since you're seeing the spirit of someone who died but is still around.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM