Page 390 of 599 FirstFirst ... 290340365380387388389390391392393400415440490 ... LastLast
Results 5,836 to 5,850 of 8985
  1. #5836

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,551

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Not really. The "Disney parks are not museums" argument has been advanced countless times on these boards, in response to the contingent of purists who complain anytime there is a change to the content of an attraction.
    And that's what is known as a non-sequitur. It doesn't matter how many times someone has said that the Disney parks are not museums, unless someone has actually argued that they are, it's a straw man argument.

    Likewise, "purists" is a sneering put down of people, not arguments. Unless you've got someone who says, "Don't change anything. Keep everything exactly as it is," you have no right to speak of "purists" and "museums" and still claim that you are engaging in civil discourse. I'll grant you that there are a few such people around, but they're relatively scarce.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  2. #5837

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    People have the right to like or dislike changes to the Mansion or other attractions, and for folks who like elements I may not, more power to them is my way of thinking. I don't expect to win such over, and respect difference of opinion...all I'd want back is the right to state my dislike reasonably (there is no malice or saying, people who like the new HHG's or HMH overlay are wrong forever/mistaken that I have seen, it's personal taste and aesthetic choice) without being talked down to because of it or being told to 'get over it' just because someone else likes a theme park element I don't

    Live and let live, and all that.
    The NBC overlay made its debut 11 years ago. Complaining about it has long been in the "beating a dead horse" category.

    ---------- Post added 06-05-2012 at 12:50 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    And that's what is known as a non-sequitur. It doesn't matter how many times someone has said that the Disney parks are not museums, unless someone has actually argued that they are, it's a straw man argument.

    Likewise, "purists" is a sneering put down of people, not arguments. Unless you've got someone who says, "Don't change anything. Keep everything exactly as it is," you have no right to speak of "purists" and "museums" and still claim that you are engaging in civil discourse. I'll grant you that there are a few such people around, but they're relatively scarce.
    I believe that people with working neurons are capable of reading between the lines of a post, and reply to what is being implied as well as what is explicitly stated. Granted, on occasion, people may misinterpret a poster's meaning.

    As for the purists thing...I'm not surprised if that word has acquired negative connotations on these boards.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 06-04-2012 at 09:36 PM.

  3. #5838

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Similarly, when I went to Orlando last May, I saw lots of people having fun with the interactive queue, and the delighted reactions of people experiencing the interactive HHGs. Yet, Grinning Ghost claims to speak for "most" people when he decries those changes. If he means most regular posters on the "Long Forgotten" threads, maybe he's right. If he means most people who actually experience the effects in person, that's not what I saw at all.
    Two entirely separate issues. Of course the uninitiated will enjoy the additions; they don't know the difference, didn't experience it beforehand, or are merely casual fans that don't care how it changes the overall premise. I actually like some of the additions, but the main issue is their placement in the queue. The kiddie playland just doesn't belong in the queue before going through the attraction.

    HUGE difference from the additions and changes made in the 2007 update: They fit in with the original show, and did not change the overall perception that guests are entering a "real" haunted house. They still made sense within the context of the show. The new queue additions change it from a carefully planned and well thought out show to an illogical fantasy world with a noisy hodge-podge that doesn't fit and doesn't belong. These sort of things belong at the exit, after the main show, once all the happy haunts have been revealed.

  4. #5839

    • Yoiks!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Regions Beyond
    Posts
    235

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    The NBC overlay made its debut 11 years ago. Complaining about it has long been in the "beating a dead horse" category.

    ---------- Post added 06-05-2012 at 12:50 AM ----------



    I believe that people with working neurons are capable of reading between the lines of a post, and reply to what is being implied as well as what is explicitly stated. Granted, on occasion, people may misinterpret a poster's meaning.

    As for the purists thing...I'm not surprised if that word has acquired negative connotations on these boards.
    Your posts are pretty offensive and you have no problem emotionally stating your opinion while denying others to theirs.

    Let’s recap: You are “frustrated” that the ‘inferior’ (by default of WDW being “superior”) HM is “inexplicably missing” some changes. Why must they be carbon copies of each other? Why are you allowed to feel emotion and we are not? Also, it is explicably common knowledge that bugs are detected and purged and upgrades are made in rides before changes to other park rides are made. Since you never bothered to prove your assertions, I’m not going to prove this point either.

    “Oh, and to paraphrase an oft-expressed sentiment on Mice Chat...rides are not museum pieces.”

    A sentiment not expressed or relevant here. I suppose that by default, since MC’ ers have said sexist, racist and violent things that we, by association also share these views. If you feel that I am misrepresenting your point by using such unfair comparisons, now you know how your unjust comment was received by me. That comment has also been used to dismiss another’s point of view, regardless of the reasoned arguments expressed by them.

    “The "Disney parks are not museums" argument has been advanced countless times on these boards, in response to the contingent of purists who complain anytime there is a change to the content of an attraction. It happened with the Jack Sparrow additions to Pirates, the characters added to Small World, and many of the HM changes.”

    Again, “these boards” does not represent this thread. Also, do you realize how offensive your statement “contingent of purists who complain anytime there is a change to the content of an attraction” is? I suppose the creators of the rides (and their wives) that complained about the changes were “purists” too?

    Your blanket statement also fails to distinguish the difference between changing the “content” and the storyline or theme of the ride. Removing the COD hands was a change of content. Having obvious ghosts in the queue and making the ride a fantasy are fundamental shifts in concept and storyline. Jack Sparrow and the Disney Characters in IASM also represent a fundamental change in theme or concepts. This has been logically argued elsewhere, as you have pointed out.

    Whenever there is a change, there will be people who don’t like it. It is all personal opinion and should be valid. I suppose the person who proposed to his girlfriend by pretending to yank the original bride’s ring from the cement and placing a real one on her finger just “hates change”. It is unimportant that his personal connection to the HM was removed.

    “but some of you still grouse about it, as if that will make any difference. Every year, when the Mansion goes down for the overlay, posts pop up complaining about it. Get over it. Disney is catering to the general public, not a small clique of purists.”

    If you are trying to win us over you are doing a terrible job. Attack the argument, not the people.

    I somewhat agree with you about the HMH bashing and have been vocal about it in the past. However, if I went to a Park and the HM was closed for ANY reason I’d be disappointed.

    “The NBC overlay made its debut 11 years ago. Complaining about it has long been in the "beating a dead horse" category.”

    DL debuted over half a century ago. Talking about it is “in the "beating a dead horse" category.” What is the point of Micechat if not to express our views? Also, why should someone like it simply because it has been around for 11 years. Why is their opinion less valid than yours?

    “I believe that people with working neurons are capable of reading between the lines of a post, and reply to what is being implied as well as what is explicitly stated. Granted, on occasion, people may misinterpret a poster's meaning.”

    Rude, rude, rude. You are implying that we don’t, unless I’m “misinterpreting” your meaning. You also have no right to put words in our mouths. You’ve “implied” a lot about us small minded, change-hating cultists. Your interpretations say more about you than us.

    “As for the purists thing...I'm not surprised if that word has acquired negative connotations on these boards.”

    Well yeah, with people like you bandying it around.

    If you want to discuss something, use reasoned arguments based in fact that applies to the people you are talking to. Spreading contempt and outrageous claims is not welcome on this thread.

    Am awaiting an apology.

  5. #5840

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,551

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    The NBC overlay made its debut 11 years ago. Complaining about it has long been in the "beating a dead horse" category.
    The last time someone expressed disapproval of the NBC overlay on this thread was one thousand, three hundred and one posts ago, representing a period of 10 months. Correction. It was only 926 posts and eight months ago. Guess I'd better reconsider my position. I mean, with nonstop complaining like that around here, no wonder it gets tiresome.

    The only one beating a dead horse is you. To complain about people who complain about the NBC overlay is to beat a horse that died maybe a week or two after the NBC debuted in 2001.

    The sole purpose of your posts is to provoke an argument a quarrel. Take it to another thread.
    Last edited by HBG2; 06-05-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  6. #5841

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I guess you missed post #5824 on the previous page.

  7. #5842

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,551

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I guess you missed post #5824 on the previous page.
    I don't mind new ideas, but they'd be better in new rides. If Nightmare Before Christmas is so popular, why not a new NBC ride with full-body projections, new hitchhiking ghost effect and interactive queue (where it would fit really well), instead of retrofitting them into the HM and losing the original effects/affects? Too similar to HM? Put it in DCA or the Florida equivalent.
    You think that is "complaining about the NBC overlay"? I need to get me some of those special neurons or whatever they are that allow you to read between the lines.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  8. #5843

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,551

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    We've got a dissenting voice with regard to the Jack Skellington face supposedly hidden on Master Gracey's brow:



    Our dear departed MG13 tells me that's bogus, it's just a flap of skin that's always been there. My original source was sincere and not spoofing me, however, so there seems to be a real division of opinion on this one. Is it the 13th ghost, or is it your imagination? Just a face in the wallpaper?

    I'm going to side with MG13 on this one, for the simple reason that the same "face" appears to me to be visible in older pictures of the MG portrait.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  9. #5844

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    748

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    6/4/12 update on the "3rd Annual Tribute to the Haunted Mansion" art show at Halloween Town in Burbank:

    We are thrilled to announce the addition of Master of Monsters and seven time Academy Award winner Rick Baker to the lineup of our 3rd Annual Haunted Mansion Tribute art show!


    Rick's artistic skills extend well beyond the silver screen, and his exceptional two and three dimensional artwork is revered in art circles and has been featured on several magazine covers.


    You can see his and all of our artists' work on opening night June 30th from 7-11pm, and will remain on exhibit until July 21st., so don't miss it!

  10. #5845

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,551

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Another story from a former CM. It seems that at WDW they had a maintenance guy who used to dress up occasionally in cloak and top hat, and after checking to make sure no quality control people were riding the HM, he would walk back and forth in the Endless Hall between the third doors down on each side, both of which are real doors and left unlocked. Those are the last doors before the first scrim. The left one goes right down to the maintenance bay. People would see this cloaked figure in a top hat exit one door, stride across the hall, and exit through the opposite door.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  11. #5846

    • Mr. Ghost
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    381

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    There was going to be a full NBC Ride. (Scroll down through list of rides)

  12. #5847

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,551

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    New posty at le bloggé
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  13. #5848

    • I am not a Krusty Krab
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Elsa's Snow Castle
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    There was going to be a full NBC Ride. (Scroll down through list of rides)
    if only. but i think disney wants to make more money and save money by turning an existing haunted attraction with a HUGE fanbase and mix it with a movie with a huge fanbase and make it seasonal so its more exclusive i think personally that a NBC attraction on its own would be boring any other time of the year. just my opinion


    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

  14. #5849

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    We've got a dissenting voice with regard to the Jack Skellington face supposedly hidden on Master Gracey's brow: Our dear departed MG13 tells me that's bogus, it's just a flap of skin that's always been there. My original source was sincere and not spoofing me, however, so there seems to be a real division of opinion on this one. Is it the 13th ghost, or is it your imagination? Just a face in the wallpaper? I'm going to side with MG13 on this one, for the simple reason that the same "face" appears to me to be visible in older pictures of the MG portrait.
    So, if this one is not legit, does that mean there is still one to be found?

  15. #5850

    • I am not a Krusty Krab
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Elsa's Snow Castle
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by misfits138 View Post
    So, if this one is not legit, does that mean there is still one to be found?
    i'll ask a few imagineers this one. believe me, one will tell me


    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •