Page 392 of 726 FirstFirst ... 292342367382389390391392393394395402417442492 ... LastLast
Results 5,866 to 5,880 of 10888

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Rolly Crump Autobiography expected in December.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Happy Birthday Paul "Ghost Host" Frees - June 22, 1920 (92 years ago).

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Jumping back to the Florida Mansion now for a brief minute: saw a photo where the luggage behind Ezra is clearest I've seen yet.

Enlarged for detail. How wonderful...more self-referential nods, but this time, acknowledging even more "it's just a theme park attraction", really. Selling out the 'reality' of the attraction completely (some instances are necessary like the moving walkway, for example) but this is deliberate in acknowledging the attraction is 'fake'/duplicated elsewhere. Kind of sad.

I imagine there's Tokyo and France stickers not visible behind his leg, and the Hong Kong one is a little odd (seeing they are getting a Mystic Manor, which is very much removed from classic HM/potentially having zero crossover). Also, having a Florida one when you're in Florida....OK?

Original photo: Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Minion

Unless it was an actual Hong Kong Disneyland sticker I don't think it's out of character. There were world-travelers in the Victorian era. If he held a "Hong Kong or Bust" sign I'd not be amused.

I have to say that it must be for HK DL - the Florida and Anaheim stickers are too coincidental to be just referring to Hong Kong of old. That gets a thumbs-down in my book...

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Jumping back to the Florida Mansion now for a brief minute: saw a photo where the luggage behind Ezra is clearest I've seen yet.

Enlarged for detail. How wonderful...more self-referential nods, but this time, acknowledging even more "it's just a theme park attraction", really. Selling out the 'reality' of the attraction completely (some instances are necessary like the moving walkway, for example) but this is deliberate in acknowledging the attraction is 'fake'/duplicated elsewhere. Kind of sad.

I imagine there's Tokyo and France stickers not visible behind his leg, and the Hong Kong one is a little odd (seeing they are getting a Mystic Manor, which is very much removed from classic HM/potentially having zero crossover). Also, having a Florida one when you're in Florida....OK?

Original photo: Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    They have been doing nods like that for years. No big deal really. this is in the Space Mountain Queue.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TjEs0cPQIZ...ions+close.JPG
    Last edited by HMF; 06-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Well doubtless it is personal taste, I daresay, and that's fine. The Space Mountain one seems slightly more disguised/done in 'futuristic' format to me personally. The Mansion one is not a deal-breaker on it's own but it seems out of place to me being placed behind 'iconic' characters and adding nothing by it's presence (apart from a unneeded in-joke which doesn't add to the atmosphere of the attraction it is in).

SM having a list of fictional starports supports what the attraction is. A random modern looking luggage tag for Anaheim doesn't particularly support the theme of a haunted house to me or 'need' to be there ( it doesn't detract terribly for the average guest either I'd say, make no mistake...but inclusion of it doesn't add anything worthwhile in my opinion).
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Well doubtless it is personal taste, I daresay, and that's fine. The Space Mountain one seems slightly more disguised/done in 'futuristic' format to me personally. The Mansion one is not a deal-breaker on it's own but it seems out of place to me being placed behind 'iconic' characters and adding nothing by it's presence (apart from a unneeded in-joke which doesn't add to the atmosphere of the attraction it is in).

SM having a list of fictional starports supports what the attraction is. A random modern looking luggage tag for Anaheim doesn't particularly support the theme of a haunted house to me or 'need' to be there ( it doesn't detract terribly for the average guest either I'd say, make no mistake...but inclusion of it doesn't add anything worthwhile in my opinion).
    I do agree that the props are unnecessary (Especially the ridiculous placement of the Maude Portrait) As a matter of fact in recent years WDI has been obsessed with throwing random props around and calling it "Art Direction". I personally would remove the props.
    Last edited by HMF; 06-25-2012 at 06:38 PM.

The only saving grace is in the small size, so that you can only read those things by doing what we're doing here, blowing up photos. That enables them to argue that the precise wording on the stickers isn't part of the show but an inside joke, something more like the "Art of Deception - Claude Coats" book titles in the library. From the doombuggies, all you can tell is that there ARE book titles on the books, if that much.

Any idea what the bottom word is on the Anaheim sticker? Nevermind. "California"

Did people put place name stickers on their luggage in random fashion like that in the 19th century? It's a cliché, but how old a cliché?
    Last edited by HBG2; 06-25-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The only saving grace is in the small size, so that you can only read those things by doing what we're doing here, blowing up photos. That enables them to argue that the precise wording on the stickers isn't part of the show but an inside joke, something more like the "Art of Deception - Claude Coats" book titles in the library. From the doombuggies, all you can tell is that there ARE book titles on the books, if that much.

Any idea what the bottom word is on the Anaheim sticker? Nevermind. "California"

Did people put place name stickers on their luggage in random fashion like that in the 19th century? It's a cliché, but how old a cliché?
    According to the WDW Space Mountain Post-Show it will remain a cliche well into the future.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QEBR616wZS...0/IMG_9344.JPG

• Larger Than (After)Life

This original art by the amazing Kelly Green was brought to my attention today. I think it's SPOOKTACULAR and pretty well conveys our feelings toward Lizzie... I mean Chatty... I mean CONSTANCE.

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 03:11 AM ----------

I'm telling you, this kid (Kelly Green) has got TALENT!

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 03:15 AM ----------

HA!

I was actually thinking about posting some of that art on here yesterday.

More...

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 09:01 AM ----------

Hire this girl, Disney.

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 09:03 AM ----------

Those are great.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Tagging luggage (with destinations, stations and/or hotels visited) dates from at least the 1800s.

A short history of hotel labels
    "luggage dispatched by ship or train would be labeled with the name of the port or station for where it was bound (as can be seen in several of Tissot's travel related paintings) and he who had a well labeled trunk was a man of means and, possibly, of adventure"

That makes the hitchhiker with far-flung destinations on his luggage either a dead, rich adventurer or a lucky stiff (no pun intended?) who is substituting his thumb for his pocketbook.

And Anaheim was incorporated on February 10, 1870 so it dodges an anachronistic bullet there, too.
    Anaheim, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 06-26-2012 at 12:18 PM.

• Mr. Ghost

here's the haunted mansion category on deviant art

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM