Page 393 of 597 FirstFirst ... 293343368383390391392393394395396403418443493 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,895 of 8941
  1. #5881

    • I am not a Krusty Krab
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Elsa's Snow Castle
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Jumping back to the Florida Mansion now for a brief minute: saw a photo where the luggage behind Ezra is clearest I've seen yet.



    Enlarged for detail. How wonderful...more self-referential nods, but this time, acknowledging even more "it's just a theme park attraction", really. Selling out the 'reality' of the attraction completely (some instances are necessary like the moving walkway, for example) but this is deliberate in acknowledging the attraction is 'fake'/duplicated elsewhere. Kind of sad.

    I imagine there's Tokyo and France stickers not visible behind his leg, and the Hong Kong one is a little odd (seeing they are getting a Mystic Manor, which is very much removed from classic HM/potentially having zero crossover). Also, having a Florida one when you're in Florida....OK?

    Original photo: Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    lets be happy it doesnt have a sticker saying: i survived splash mountain... eh one of the mazes at KSF had it. kinda weird

    ---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 05:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    I was actually thinking about posting some of that art on here yesterday.

    More...




    ---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 09:01 AM ----------



    Hire this girl, Disney.

    ---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 09:03 AM ----------

    i love you for this!!!!!!!!!!!


    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

  2. #5882

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I think there is an in joke on the Anaheim sticker. Notice how similar the 13 design is to the Club 33 sign




    Ezra is obviously a member of Club 13 in Anaheim California. Thats my theory at least.

  3. #5883

    • I am not a Krusty Krab
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Elsa's Snow Castle
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    someone needs to make an eighth thread because im losing track with this one

    ---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 10:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Disneyland really needs to do something about all the graffiti.

    http://www.insidethemagic.net/wp-con...on-438x600.jpg
    in the photo, is herb a name or are they a stoner? hopefully its a name


    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

  4. #5884

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Tagging luggage (with destinations, stations and/or hotels visited) dates from at least the 1800s.A short history of hotel labels"luggage dispatched by ship or train would be labeled with the name of the port or station for where it was bound (as can be seen in several of Tissot's travel related paintings) and he who had a well labeled trunk was a man of means and, possibly, of adventure"That makes the hitchhiker with far-flung destinations on his luggage either a dead, rich adventurer or a lucky stiff (no pun intended?) who is substituting his thumb for his pocketbook. And Anaheim was incorporated on February 10, 1870 so it dodges an anachronistic bullet there, too.Anaheim, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Good info, thanks.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  5. #5885

    • Perhaps he knows too much
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    157

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    HBG's most recent blog post prompted me to google the vaunted ride designer of old, Bill Tracy, and I stumbled onto this image, offered without context in a post on his Wildwood "Whacky Shack"...



    Who copied who?! I feel like this must have been talked about before, but I couldn't find anything. It says Whacky Shack was installed in '64; it seems like this sign could have been used any time contemporaneously within the HM waiting period ('64-'69).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. #5886

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    747

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I recently acquired an early script draft for the Eddie Murphy movie, dated 7/19/02.

    It's more or less on the same level as the finished film (awful), but it's interesting to see some of the differences.

    *The servants Ezra and Emma are absent. Instead, there is the ghostly trio of Phineas, Ezra, and Gus.
    Like in the earlier Jim Hill script, the HHGs are (or were) domestic workers at the mansion rather than random ghosts. Also like in the Jim Hill script, they are "comic relief" characters with childish dialogue.
    Phineas is the head chef for some reason, complete with clichéd French accent. Ezra is the coachman and "the smart one." Gus is the groundskeeper instead of a ball-and-chained convict.
    There's no hitchhiking.

    *Additional ride homages include: a stretching gallery, a skeletonized Gracey portrait, a candelabra floating down a hallway, ghostly wedding attendees, skulls coming out of the organ pipes, a jazzy ghost band, a dog howl heard outside the mansion (the caretaker's dog), an owl on a tree branch.

    *Madame Leota speaks only in rhyme. She doesn't wise-crack or have any "sassy" dialogue, though the script ends with a goofy scene of her helping Jim bake a cake for his son's birthday.

    *Upon arriving at the mansion, the Evers see the old caretaker and his dog. The caretaker has one line (he gives them a spooky warning), and then he is never seen or mentioned again.

    *The horse-drawn carriage careens down the corridors of the house and goes straight through a mural before going into the graveyard. The ghosts in the graveyard are absent.

    *Most of Jim Evers' dialogue is rife with pointless pop culture references. There was a lot of that in the finished film, but here it's practically every other line.

    *The writer was obviously familiar with the Story and Song album.
    Example: "An unnatural fog chokes the old, crooked tombstones."

    *The key-bearing skeleton in the mausoleum is unambiguously Ramsley.
    Useless trivia: his first name is James.

    *There are a lot of trap doors and secret passages.

    *It is not shown or told how Gracey died.

    *The 13-hour clock is more significant.

    *No singing busts.


    If anyone wants a copy (in PDF format), PM me.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 06-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.

  7. #5887

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,408

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    *Upon arriving at the mansion, the Evers see the old caretaker and his dog. The caretaker has one line (he gives them a spooky warning), and then he is never seen or mentioned again.
    More useless trivia: The Caretaker was slated to be played by Don Knotts.

  8. #5888

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    HBG's most recent blog post prompted me to google the vaunted ride designer of old, Bill Tracy, and I stumbled onto this image, offered without context in a post on his Wildwood "Whacky Shack"...



    Who copied who?! I feel like this must have been talked about before, but I couldn't find anything. It says Whacky Shack was installed in '64; it seems like this sign could have been used any time contemporaneously within the HM waiting period ('64-'69).
    Now THAT is interesting. The Marty Sklar sign makes a clear reference to the Museum of the Weird ("Museum of the Supernatural"), a concept Walt came up with after that famous meeting in which Rolly's models intrigued Walt so much. That meeting was in the fall of 1964, after the World's Fair Projects were over. So Marty's sign did not go up until late '64 at the very earliest. If this Whacky Shack sign can be securely dated earlier than that, then Sklar brazenly stole the text from it.

    Worth delving into.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    I recently acquired an early script draft for the Eddie Murphy movie, dated 7/19/02.

    It's more or less on the same level as the finished film (awful), but it's interesting to see some of the differences.

    *The servants Ezra and Emma are absent. Instead, there is the ghostly trio of Phineas, Ezra, and Gus.
    Like in the earlier Jim Hill script, the HHGs are (or were) domestic workers at the mansion rather than random ghosts. Also like in the Jim Hill script, they are "comic relief" characters with childish dialogue.
    Phineas is the head chef for some reason, complete with clichéd French accent. Ezra is the coachman and "the smart one." Gus is the groundskeeper instead of a ball-and-chained convict.
    There's no hitchhiking.

    *Additional ride homages include: a stretching gallery, a skeletonized Gracey portrait, a candelabra floating down a hallway, ghostly wedding attendees, skulls coming out of the organ pipes, a jazzy ghost band, a dog howl heard outside the mansion (the caretaker's dog), an owl on a tree branch.

    *Madame Leota speaks only in rhyme. She doesn't wise-crack or have any "sassy" dialogue, though the script ends with a goofy scene of her helping Jim bake a cake for his son's birthday.

    *Upon arriving at the mansion, the Evers see the old caretaker and his dog. The caretaker has one line (he gives them a spooky warning), and then he is never seen or mentioned again.

    *The horse-drawn carriage careens down the corridors of the house and goes straight through a mural before going into the graveyard. The ghosts in the graveyard are absent.

    *Most of Jim Evers' dialogue is rife with pointless pop culture references. There was a lot of that in the finished film, but here it's practically every other line.

    *The writer was obviously familiar with the Story and Song album.
    Example: "An unnatural fog chokes the old, crooked tombstones."

    *The key-bearing skeleton in the mausoleum is unambiguously Ramsley.
    Useless trivia: his first name is James.

    *There are a lot of trap doors and secret passages.

    *It is not shown or told how Gracey died.

    *The 13-hour clock is more significant.

    *No singing busts.


    If anyone wants a copy (in PDF format), PM me.
    I don't need to PM, just send it to me!

    ------------

    New post up at El Bloggo. The synchronicity between it and the new post just put up at Passport-2-Dreams is amazing, but I assure you it's entirely a coincidence.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  9. #5889

    • Honorary Jungle Skipper
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    988

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    More useless trivia: The Caretaker was slated to be played by Don Knotts.
    I remember that hearing that rumor. In a better movie, that would've been wonderful.

  10. #5890

    • Mr. Ghost
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    380

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Some Haunted Mansion related news, I just ran across this: Some Ghosts of Haunted Mansion Past to be exhibited at D23

  11. #5891

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Juniper Hills, CA
    Posts
    422

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    Some Haunted Mansion related news, I just ran across this: Some Ghosts of Haunted Mansion Past to be exhibited at D23
    perhaps it will coincide with some kind of info for the film...

    also, great new blog entry HBG2! everyone check it out if you haven't already!!!

    edit: I also want to add my thanks to smelly for posting those comics; really great stuff!
    Last edited by skoolpsyk; 06-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.

  12. #5892

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,494

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Thanks for posting those comics! For some reason, I really love the image of the Ghost Host as a poor, put-upon working schlub trying to keep it all together despite all the wacky characters he has to deal with. Kind of like the Vincent Price character in the "Holiday Special" skits on Saturday Night Live.

  13. #5893

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    951

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    The Ghost Host lines "All our ghosts have been dying to meet you. This one can hardly contain himself. Unfortunately, they all seem to have trouble getting through" have returned to the Mansion. I've mentioned the missing "We find it delightfully unlivable..." audio in every other group of three buggies, but tonight for the first time I heard the three lines above in any buggy *not* playing the "We find it..." piece. On my 7 rides I heard either "We find it..." or "All our ghosts..." but never both, though the times at which they play do not seem to overlap. My last ride was Monday night and the "All our ghosts..." audio was not there.

  14. #5894

    • I am not a Krusty Krab
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Elsa's Snow Castle
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    the ghost host lines "all our ghosts have been dying to meet you. This one can hardly contain himself. Unfortunately, they all seem to have trouble getting through" have returned to the mansion. I've mentioned the missing "we find it delightfully unlivable..." audio in every other group of three buggies, but tonight for the first time i heard the three lines above in any buggy *not* playing the "we find it..." piece. On my 7 rides i heard either "we find it..." or "all our ghosts..." but never both, though the times at which they play do not seem to overlap. My last ride was monday night and the "all our ghosts..." audio was not there.
    really?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!?!!?!!?!?!!?


    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

  15. #5895

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    747

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    HM tribute art show starts tomorrow night @ Halloween Town in Burbank.
    This guy looks familiar...



LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •