Page 396 of 602 FirstFirst ... 296346371386393394395396397398399406421446496 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,940 of 9023

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Ok, have not been on this tread for a couple of months, miss you all, plan on getting back soon, but thought of you all today when I took a trip to Disney display at Regan Library. Do not attempt to break in, secret service guards the place:

Name:  7579528768_e12d3ac6b2_z.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  199.5 KB

Also up close with beating heart. Smurf? Not sure:

Name:  7579534184_d923135c94_z.jpg
Size:  246.9 KB

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    AHEM! (Fast forward to 15:30)

None of you seem to be catching what I find now to be an interesting fact. In the video above, Artist Kevin Kidney states very clearly that he cast the head of his first afterlife-size Hatbox Ghost — the one he created for D23 — from the original Disney molds. (FF to 16:54.) Yet, up until this video, everyone at Disney (including Senior VP of Creative Development, Imagineer Tony Baxter) has stated that the original molds no longer exist and no one knows what happened to them.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 07-16-2012 at 12:16 AM.

• Minion

None of you seem to be catching what I find now to be an interesting fact. In the video above, Artist Kevin Kidney states very clearly that he cast the head of his first afterlife-size Hatbox Ghost — the one he created for D23 — from the original Disney molds. (FF to 16:54.) Yet, up until this video, everyone at Disney (including Senior VP of Creative Development, Imagineer Tony Baxter) has stated that the original molds no longer exist and no one knows what happened to them.
    I seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere else that the molds did still exist, and were used to make replacement heads for other AA figures and pop-ups. Isn't it the same head as HHG Phineas...?

What I'm wondering is if that first custom figure that was photographed inside the Mansion is where the story Al Lutz told a few years back about a new HBG figure actually being built but not installed yet originated from.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 07-16-2012 at 03:18 AM.

As stated above, that head has been used quite a bit in the mansion and it's quite obvious that the mold existed. Also, it's quite possible that they created a new mold using the old heads.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Note to self: If you have enough money and clout, you can hire Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily to make you lifesize replica Hat Box Ghost.

Step one: acquire money and clout...

In the spirit of the LEGO Disney thread, check these out:

LEGO® CUUSOO | Haunted Mansion Theme (Part 1)

LEGO® CUUSOO | "Haunted Mansion" Theme {Part 2}

How cool would that be! I guess people get to vote on which designs they like the best, and if they get enough votes, the product is produced. I think both of the pages have some really neat designs, and as a bonus - a LEGO HBG!!!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Also up close with beating heart. Smurf? Not sure:

Name:  7579534184_d923135c94_z.jpg
Size:  246.9 KB
    Yep, that is the WDW Middle Bride (96-07) or Smurfette as she became known though they seem to have made her hair slightly less wild for the exhibit.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere else that the molds did still exist, and were used to make replacement heads for other AA figures and pop-ups. Isn't it the same head as HHG Phineas...?
    Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth. (Fast forward to 3:14.)

• Minion

Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth. (Fast forward to 3:14.)
    Yes, I'm aware of what Tony Baxter said, but he's been known to make some mistakes and give erroneous information in the very video that clip was taken from. Also, that video is about 15 years old, so they very well could have been found since then. As I said, I recall reading elsewhere that the molds did still exist. Where I read it, I have no idea now. The Kidney video actually shows them using a mold, stating it was the original. As most heads are made from latex, and latex deteriorates rapidly, I tend to believe the original molds do still exist.

Additionally, the Tokyo Disneyland Mansion opened in 1983, so it's very likely the original molds were used for all the figures for there, including HBG's head.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 07-18-2012 at 02:12 AM.

That was my thought, that they used the TDL Ezra molds for the HBG...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    That was my thought, that they used the TDL Ezra molds for the HBG...
    They're the same heads. Same mold. TDL likely used the 1969 original.

Really? Wow, you learn something new every day! I assumed that they had a)misplaced the original molds or b)made new ones so that they didn't have to wear the existing molds any more than they had to. What are the molds made of (if you know)?

Forget about TDL, Didn't Carsillo and co. use the original molds when the AA Figures of the HHG were updated last year?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Forget about TDL, Didn't Carsillo and co. use the original molds when the AA Figures of the HHG were updated last year?
    No. According to the Disney-produced backstage video about the new figures, they had new heads sculpted. I presume this was done in attempt to more closely resemble their animated counterparts in the mirrors.

No. According to the Disney-produced backstage video about the new figures, they had new heads sculpted. I presume this was done in attempt to more closely resemble their animated counterparts in the mirrors.
    I am aware that they added more details eyelids etc but I am sure they used the original molds as reference at least. BTW, If the idea was to make them match the mirrors they really should have studied Ezra's hands and appearance closer.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM