Page 399 of 586 FirstFirst ... 299349374389396397398399400401402409424449499 ... LastLast
Results 5,971 to 5,985 of 8789

• Killer of Threads

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Hey get a load of what I dug up - or rather, what Dan Olson hooked me up with over on the Doombuggies message board: Shots of the interior of the WDW facade!
    Name:  facade1.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  41.5 KBName:  facade2.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  47.9 KB

Just thought someone might be interested, since nobody seemed able/interested in producing any when I asked about them.
    Please step out to the left. Step out to the left, please. When the car stops, step out to the left.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Dan Olson = HBG2.

By the way, great blog post Dan.

• Killer of Threads

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Dan Olson = HBG2.

By the way, great blog post Dan.
    Of course, it WOULD be him! Shows what I know.
    Please step out to the left. Step out to the left, please. When the car stops, step out to the left.

• Inhospitable about happy

Ah, the secret is out. They have got to stop these security leaks from the White House.

Thanks, Smelly.

A little Mansion art mash-up, for no particular reason.

Last edited by HBG2; 08-04-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Hello. I just wanted to say, kind of new here and a really big fan of the mansion, who isn't, but I am really impressed by all the fantastic photos here, and I just wanted to say thanks to all of the posters here.

Also, I wanted to ask a question about the construction of the mansion. Some of the photos of the mansion being built are really great, but I thought of something when I looked at them. The area behind the mansion where the graveyard and the rest of the house almost looks like it was an after thought, like the ride was going to be next to the mansion, not behind it. And one photo, where you can see the area where the chickenexit is, also looked like that was done later, not planned originally. Is my observations right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bondfan2000 View Post
    Hello. I just wanted to say, kind of new here and a really big fan of the mansion, who isn't, but I am really impressed by all the fantastic photos here, and I just wanted to say thanks to all of the posters here.

Also, I wanted to ask a question about the construction of the mansion. Some of the photos of the mansion being built are really great, but I thought of something when I looked at them. The area behind the mansion where the graveyard and the rest of the house almost looks like it was an after thought, like the ride was going to be next to the mansion, not behind it. And one photo, where you can see the area where the chickenexit is, also looked like that was done later, not planned originally. Is my observations right?

Thanks
    Welcome, bf2K. The stretchroom elevators were built into the building when it went up in 1962, so clearly it was always the plan to have guests go out under the RR tracks to a show building outside the berm. That building didn't go up until 1968, however, since they hadn't settled on whether the HM was going to be a walk-thru or a ride, and if a ride, what sort of conveyance would be used.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like what you're referring to may be something covered in THIS POST over ay my blog.

Guillermo del Toro Talks HAUNTED MANSION and His Love of HARRY POTTER | Collider

Recent interview with del Toro. No real updates or new information, unfortunately.

Sounds like HE thinks the project is alive, though.

An advantage of the blog format is that you can occasionally improve on the images you post. This morning I replaced this...

...with this:

• Member of Baxter's Army

As we all know today is the 43rd Anniversary of the Manson, I mean Mansion.

And in honor of the 43rd birthday, let's have a...

SUPERPOST

Shoot, how long has it been? Anyway, I figure that a whole passel of concept art no one has seen around here is a superpost.

Allen Huffmann at Disneyfans.com has a gazillion Disney photos, and it occurred to be to check to see if he got any shots of the 2003 exhibit at the Disney Gallery, featuring lots of HM material. Sure enough, he did. Unfortunately, most of the photos are blurry, far away shots with lots of glass reflection on the framed artworks on the wall, but nevertheless, there are some real discoveries in there.

First of all, using one of his blurry shots, I was able to fill out a little the X Atencio concept art we posted a few pages back.

This mausoleum scene I've never seen before. It looks like either Anderson or Atencio. The reflections off the glass were murder in this one, and I tried to suppress them as much as possible. You can't see a lot, but what you can see is very interesting.

This staircase scene is also new to me. Looks like a Ken Anderson sketch.

And last, but not least, a couple of sketches showing that they considered giving the grandfather clock a ghostly inhabitant. The top sketch looks, again, like Anderson, and if so, the idea of a haunted grandfather clock is yet another idea that goes back to the Father of the Haunted Mansion. The bottom sketch is clearly X Atencio, picking up and running with another Anderson idea, it appears. Notice the cat's eye peeking out from behind the clock.

In the actual clock, you have demon faces in the tip of the pendulum as well as around the face. We may now recognize these as the remnants of more ambitious ideas not used.

Too too cool.

Great finds!

Good news. I got a nice big copy of one of those artworks from Lonesome Ghost. There's definitely going to be a blog post on the Grandfather Clock.

• Yoiks!

Those are some nice finds. It is good to know there are still things to rediscover out there. The staircase evokes images of an attic to me, and the crazy person locked away!

• whatever

Geez, it's been awhile - can't believe this is still going on! I haven't had much time to read over everything I've missed but there are a few things I wanted to know about that I've seen recently.

I saw this on Imagineering Disney the other day and was wondering if any of you guys discussed about the feller on the right:

Where'd he come from?

Also, I was at Tom's Farm in Corona a few weeks ago and spotted these guys in a shooting gallery:

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmotion View Post
    Geez, it's been awhile - can't believe this is still going on! I haven't had much time to read over everything I've missed but there are a few things I wanted to know about that I've seen recently.

I saw this on Imagineering Disney the other day and was wondering if any of you guys discussed about the feller on the right:

Where'd he come from?

Also, I was at Tom's Farm in Corona a few weeks ago and spotted these guys in a shooting gallery:

The guy on the upper left (droopy eye) is an old pop-up head. I don't know where the other two might have come from.

Well, just got back from DL the other day, and I rode the HM a dozen times or so. Here's my review, including the usual mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

1. The foyer chandelier is quite dusty and has some small traces of cobwebs on it, which conflicts with my argument that the place is immaculate until you get to the load area. I looked very close, and I think it's all natural, actual dust and cobwebbery, not phony. They've neglected it on purpose, and this is what you get after years go by. So the place is a little unkempt here and there even from the beginning. Not a big deal, really.

2. The stretchrooms looked good. All the frames were behaving well, and there was very little wrinkling or other defects to be seen anywhere.

3. The darkness level is a mixed bag. If your eyes are not used to the dark, you can hardly make out a thing in the changing portraits when not transformed by lightning. But if your eyes are used to the dark, it isn't bad in there. They should increase the lighting on the paintings a little.

4. The load area was actually dark enough to work most of the time, unless your eyes were truly and fully adjusted to the dark. The cobwebs weren't glowing very much, and they really do need to do something about the wall on the right toward the far end, where it juts back toward you and runs alongside you. That wall is always obvious, and always obviously just a blank wall painted flat black. It needs to be covered with a dense skein of cobweb. It's a bit of bad show. So is the horrible black rectangular block next to the right-side gryphon at the foot of the stairs. On the opposite side the wall is obvious and has a lit-up control panel indented into it. This stuff has been this way for a long time, but that doesn't make it right. It is VERY hard to enjoy the gryphons at all with these distractions right beside them.

5. The sound in the doombuggies was fine every time I rode. One amusing thing that happened is that I happened to pick car #13 on one trip (the CM told me I had just done so), and I went around and rode again very soon after. The same CM recognized me and told me that this time I had picked #113.

6. It's too dark to see either one of the doors with the blowing drapes in them. On those rides when my eyes were fully used to the dark, and I looked very close, I could barely see the drapes, and they weren't moving at all.

7. As others have reported, two-thirds of the forbidden monologue is in use. The GH says, "All our ghosts have been dying to meet you; this one can hardly contain himself," followed shortly by "Unfortunately, they all seem to have trouble getting through." But the remainder is missing ("Perhaps Madame Leota...").

8. We had a lengthy discussion about gas vs. electric lighting in the HM on this Thread some time back, and I argued that the little lamp on the table in the COD, which looks a lot like an electric lamp, was actually an example of a much-less-common gas desk lamp. Well, it definitely is supposed to be a gas lamp: it has a gas mantle in it, not a light bulb, so that micro-trivial issue is settled absolutely.

9. The face of the clock is not easy to read right away because it reflects light. They should tilt the clock slightly left or right and eliminate this very-very-long-standing problem.

10. The ectoplasm in the Sťance room is a disgrace. It's just a dull gray smudge with a dull purplish ball rolling around in it. Otherwise, I thought that the Sťance room looked okay, for the most part. Mdm L was in sync, and you couldn't see any wires unless your eyes were fully accustomed to the dark, and even then it was difficult. However, when your eyes are used to the dark, a lot of crap on the ceiling is visible. They should hang long black fabric curtains around the holes up there where the wires hang down.

11. The right end of the ballroom needs more light. You can't see granny's chair when she's not visible in it, and the guy on the mantelpiece is glowing away by himself. You can't make out the Lucretia bust or the mantel itself in the dark.

11. This was there the last time I was at DL: Something is blocking off part of the wraiths as they fly in from the window. Looks bad.

12. I didn't think this was a problem at DL, but it is. You can see reflections of both the Ambrose and Frank portraits in the ballroom glass. Not a good thing.

13. Constance looks like absolute crap. Embarrassingly bad. She's just a movie on a screen, and misaligned at that. *sigh* The attic is so boring now. I wish they would retire Connie and her hubbies and bring back some mystery. I miss the blast-ups terribly. They were so good in there. On the positive side, the changing portraits in there were all working very well, so at least guests have a good "gee whiz, how do they do that?" effect to puzzle about.

14. When you go out on the balcony after the attic, there are some spotlights 'way 'way over on the far left that are REALLY distracting. Been that way for a long time. You can't help but notice them and look at them. Bad show.

15. There's a very obvious wire or rope holding up one of the tree limbs. Just looks tacky.

16. The popups look terrible. They're slow, and their skirts are flimsy, tacky things that don't even cover the mechanism. I think they should dispense with the skirts entirely and use non-fluorescent clothing on them, letting their faces alone glow. And speed them up. Put in a new rubber band or something.

17. On the other hand, Ol' Blasty looked good. I kept missing him (timing-wise), until I finally got a nice, pranky-spirits stop right in front of him! I love that effect. Long may he rave. They better not replace him, the last of his kind.

18. As others have noted, the graveyard is dark and murky, especially the mummy scene. The three figures were literally the only things you could see over there, and there was an odd shadow on the scrim in one spot that needs to be remedied. It looks to me like the murkiness is not simply a lighting issue, but the figures look overdue for new skins and paint. The fluorescent paint fades over time, and highlights are lost. (Black lighting is hard on things.) But general lighting levels are also part of the problem. You simply cannot see some gags, like the bulging crypts (except for one of them). DL is sadly in need of a good refurb. Unfortunately, the occasion when it's likely to get it is probably also the occasion when the mirror HHG's will be replaced with the new CG barf. (Yes, I'm a little fatalistic about it; I don't realistically expect it to be kept out of Anaheim.)

19. Oddly enough, I couldn't get too awfully worked up about the general murkiness, however. "Real" ghosts are frequently described just like that: vague, blurry apparitions. It would be nice to be able to make out, e.g., the features of the headless knight's face, but I can't say he doesn't look like a ghost.

20. Maybe this effect has been around a long time and I just never noticed it on my more recent trips, but the floating teapot gag was plussed at some point. The pouring stream was originally just a solid glass (or plastic) piece, but now it has lighting within in, producing a realistic-looking animation that looks like pouring water. Oddly enough, however, it looks backwards to me. It looks like the water is pouring up into the teapot from the cup!

21. I never noticed before how lively and animated is the Gus figure in the headsman trio. He's bustin' some moves up there.

22. I couldn't look at the HHG beside me in the mirror without a touch of sadness and anger, strongly suspecting that this may well be the last time I see this effect. So the guy in the mirror next to the ghost never looked like he was having as good a time as he was.

23. Little Leota looked great, I thought. As I was consistently successful in being the last in my group, there was no one behind me, and I could walk backwards on the escalator and enjoy the tableau literally as much as I wanted.

Also, I talked briefly with a lot of CM's. Not one of them had ever heard of the Long-Forgotten phenom, either this Thread or the blog, but a lot of them know about it now, so we'll see.

---------- Post added 08-19-2012 at 07:18 PM ----------

I'm no photographer, but I brought my wife's camera and took a few snaps. First is the obligatory, yes-I-was-there shot. It was very hot and very humid, but the crowds were not bad.

If you know what these are, you don't need commentary. If you don't know what they are, commentary won't mean much.

We also went to the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley (where I grew up!) and saw the impressive Disney display currently there. I got a few shots. This is the actual eyes-follow-you Medusa from WDW, and these are of course a few of the actual HHG's, now removed and replaced with something lesser.

---------- Post added 08-19-2012 at 08:09 PM ----------

Speaking of pix,

I would love to get a good photo of the door to the left of the clock, which you can see partially in this shot. Need it for an upcoming post. Some of you DL guys, get busy!

And for you videographers, here's a badly needed item: video that shows the rain effect outside the first two windows in the changing portrait hall. I believe this effect is unique to DL and has not been successfully photographed, so unless you've been to the original HM and looked at it, you have no idea what it looks like, and may never even have heard of it. It's a classic Yale Gracey special effect (and if you look just right through one of the windows, you can see the football-shaped mirror ball that makes it possible). It's a challenging thing to video, I'm sure, but give it a shot guys. The geniuses at WDI may replace it with something "better" some day, and then we'll all be cursing the fact that no one ever video'd it.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM