Page 4 of 591 FirstFirst 1234567142954104504 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I always thought the candle was a easy visual metaphor for "searching" or being lost in her case, given she used to look forlorn mostly, if not ambiguously eerie. Trying to light her way for whatever she was looking for. Plus, yes, HM exists in the pre-electricity era as a concept...so could be as simple as, it's nighttime, and the attic is dark!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Is she looking for a pair by Jimmy Choo perhaps?
    Hahahaha Nice... Took me a second then I noticed my flub.
    I think we have all given some great ideas as to why the candle is there.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

As to the candle: If she needs a light source to see in the dark, how come all the other ghoulies don't need one?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Brilliantly solved!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    More bullet hole talk, less candle talk.
    Okey-dokey.

Despite the plausibility of the hole in the wall being caused by the same bullet that made the hole in the mirror, I still feel like it's too unlikely to be true. I mean, if you look at HBG2's close-up of the hole, you can see that it lines up perfectly (or very near to that) under the center area on the painting, and exactly on the dot in the flower design.

It's my guess that the fact that the two holes could possibly line up is just coincidence. A more likely scenereo is that they either repaired/concealed the actual hole in the wall, or the ammunition got stuck in the glass itself. After all, how do we know that the shooter wasn't using something like a BB gun? Or to take that even further, if the shooter was never caught, how do we know it wasn't a child?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    More bullet hole talk, less candle talk.
    Candle candle candle candle candle!

Just kidding.

In the meantime, though, here are a couple (I believe) new to the Thread pics of the old model bride...

Uncle Glen's Lounge Party: Even More Haunted Mansion Pix

And this one is at Disney World, I believe...

The bride of Haunted Mansion. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

• Minion

More Bride! Less bullet hole talk.

My favorite bride is the original lighted eyes bride. According to her blueprints, she was supposed to be lit up all over from within, under the dress - not just the eyes and heart.

• Budding HM Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlinMcFly View Post
    Rode Mansion today! I stared at the bullet hole, and as we went by the spiderweb I noticed that they did not match up. HOWEVER! If you keep your eye on it as the buggy starts to turn, and imagine that the person who fired the gun was keeping it fairly low so as to hide it from the buggies around it, and the shot was at the last second before you turned.....That seems like a lot of specifics, but that's the logical way someone would have fired it. Perhaps working up the nerve, not wanting to make the person in the next buggy think that the gun was aimed at them?
    Makes perfect sense! Good jorb! I would hate to be the person in the next buggy over. That loud pop would have scared me half to death, regardless of where the gun was pointed... thus making Mansion the most terrifying ride ever!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garfieldo View Post
    It's my guess that the fact that the two holes could possibly line up is just coincidence. A more likely scenereo is that they either repaired/concealed the actual hole in the wall, or the ammunition got stuck in the glass itself. After all, how do we know that the shooter wasn't using something like a BB gun? Or to take that even further, if the shooter was never caught, how do we know it wasn't a child?
    There's also the fact that I've pointed out before that there is a huge exit wound on the back of the wall from where the bullet went through, according to a rather reliable source. I have experience with BB guns, and true they could go through glass, but that's a pretty hefty hole in the glass caused to be caused by a BB gun.
    dreams. come. true.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I always thought the candle was a easy visual metaphor for "searching" or being lost in her case, given she used to look forlorn mostly, if not ambiguously eerie. Trying to light her way for whatever she was looking for. Plus, yes, HM exists in the pre-electricity era as a concept...so could be as simple as, it's nighttime, and the attic is dark!
    Here's a linky to my discussion of the bride's candle 'way back in Thread 2. Here's the conclusion:

But Connie has no candle (and no flowers), only a hatchet that appears and disappears.

If you're waiting for a grand conclusion in which I grouse about the loss of the candle, I'll surprise you. Constance should not have it. The candle is not in any way a nuptial accouterment but belongs to someone who is trying to see, someone looking for something, someone on a search. The candle is for the victim looking for justice, for vindication, or for clues as to what happened, or for something lost. The villains, on the other hand, are not curious. They already know what happened, since they did it. They want darkness, obscurity, a continuing cover-up. Bad guys do not forlornly search; they want the truth to stay hidden.

So the Imagineers' instincts were right: No candle for Constance.
    Also, I'm getting some feedback on my dismissal of the unity candle ceremony as modern. The bottom line is that I still have heard no evidence that it existed prior to the 20th c., still less that it is a part of any official or traditional wedding liturgy. Let's keep our eye on the ball: Did the Imagineers give the bride a candle because, you know, she's a bride, and brides have candles; or is the candle an additional element to her status as a bride? I think that not only is it the latter, it's obviously the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfieldo View Post
    After all, how do we know that the shooter wasn't using something like a BB gun?
    Because, you will recall, our report says that the shooter also shot up ATIS and Primeval World, and the holes were determined to be from a .22.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Oh, and apropos of RB's excellent discussion of the wealth of popular traditions concerning mirrors and the supernatural, let's not overlook one of the best-known examples: vampires have no mirror reflection.

There are also any number of old traditions about mirrors being portals to the unseen world. Magic mirrors, and all that.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

dreams. come. true.

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlinMcFly View Post
    Thx. Worth the link, if for no other reason than to grab the well-done Alligator Girl parody there.

• Who are you again?

if anyone here has played 'Luigi's Mansion' for the gamecube (I doubt any of you did) has anyone noticed the Candelabra is sorta like the Endless hallway in HM
    here's a blurry photo

the Blurry thing is a three stalk Candelabra that is gold, sounds like a familier candelabra?
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Kawasaki Kreep

Wow...

I step away for a few days and not only is thread 6 buried 5 pages but thread 7 is on page 4!

Nice to know one of my favorite spots to lurk is still going!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Jenny1987 View Post
    Oh dear sweet zombie jesus on a stick no.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    if anyone here has played 'Luigi's Mansion' for the gamecube (I doubt any of you did) has anyone noticed the Candelabra is sorta like the Endless hallway in HM
    here's a blurry photo

the Blurry thing is a three stalk Candelabra that is gold, sounds like a familier candelabra?
    I have played it and thought the same thing. If I can find my copy of it, I will try and screen capture it - or video, or not. You never know these days...

As for the bullet holes lining up or not we are forgetting one variable -- the size of the shooter. I would think how long of a torso one has would make a big difference in the angle of the shot and us, as viewers, trying to view the same thing. Not impossible, just more difficult.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• I'm a Lutheran

I love Luigi's Mansion, so many references (Or mistaken references) to the Haunted Mansion in it!
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM