Page 400 of 559 FirstFirst ... 300350390397398399400401402403410450500 ... LastLast
Results 5,986 to 6,000 of 8380

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I always come out of the DL HM depressed because it's in such bad shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    I never noticed before how lively and animated is the Gus figure in the headsman trio. He's bustin' some moves up there.
    I noticed that too on my last visit.

---------- Post added 08-19-2012 at 08:45 PM ----------

Here's Rolly telling the story about the prank they pulled on the janitor(s).

• whatever

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    13. Constance looks like absolute crap. Embarrassingly bad. She's just a movie on a screen, and misaligned at that. *sigh* The attic is so boring now. I wish they would retire Connie and her hubbies and bring back some mystery. I miss the blast-ups terribly. They were so good in there. On the positive side, the changing portraits in there were all working very well, so at least guests have a good "gee whiz, how do they do that?" effect to puzzle about.
    I agree 100%

And for you videographers, here's a badly needed item: video that shows the rain effect outside the first two windows in the changing portrait hall. I believe this effect is unique to DL and has not been successfully photographed, so unless you've been to the original HM and looked at it, you have no idea what it looks like, and may never even have heard of it. It's a classic Yale Gracey special effect (and if you look just right through one of the windows, you can see the football-shaped mirror ball that makes it possible). It's a challenging thing to video, I'm sure, but give it a shot guys. The geniuses at WDI may replace it with something "better" some day, and then we'll all be cursing the fact that no one ever video'd it.
    I'll take a video next time I'm there, which will most likely be this week sometime.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmotion View Post
    I saw this on Imagineering Disney the other day and was wondering if any of you guys discussed about the feller on the right:

Where'd he come from?
    The guy on the upper left (droopy eye) is an old pop-up head.
    I believe you meant the one on the right. I think he's the graveyard pop-up featured prominently with a fright wig in the old stock footage from 1969. The one on the left looks to me like the man with the rifle behind the Auctioneer at the left end of the bridge in POTC. "Quiet, you scum! [BANG]"

8. We had a lengthy discussion about gas vs. electric lighting in the HM on this Thread some time back, and I argued that the little lamp on the table in the COD, which looks a lot like an electric lamp, was actually an example of a much-less-common gas desk lamp. Well, it definitely is supposed to be a gas lamp: it has a gas mantle in it, not a light bulb, so that micro-trivial issue is settled absolutely.
    Seems to me it was pretty much settled back then. Since then I've seen a desk lamp almost identical which was indeed gas.

A mailbox...? Is that new?

I would love to get a good photo of the door to the left of the clock, which you can see partially in this shot. Need it for an upcoming post. Some of you DL guys, get busy!

I had no idea there even was a door to the left of the clock. I always thought it was just a wall panel there. There isn't a door in that spot at WDW, is there?
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 08-20-2012 at 02:08 AM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmotion View Post
    I'll take a video next time I'm there, which will most likely be this week sometime.
    Groovy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I believe you meant the one on the right. I think he's the graveyard pop-up featured prominently with a fright wig in the old stock footage from 1969. The one on the left looks to me like the man with the rifle behind the Auctioneer at the left end of the bridge in POTC. "Quiet, you scum! [BANG]"

Seems to me it was pretty much settled back then. Since then I've seen a desk lamp almost identical which was indeed gas.

A mailbox...? Is that new?

I had no idea there even was a door to the left of the clock. I always thought it was just a wall panel there. There isn't a door in that spot at WDW, is there?
    Yes, that's right, I meant "right," all right? Right. As for the clockroom door, yes it's in WDW (and Tokyo I'm sure). It's a good contender for "most ignored door" you pass in the whole place. That's why I need a good photo. I'm going to be mentioning it in connection with an upcoming post on the clock, and no one ever photographs it.

The mailbox is not original, but it's been there some time. I think we've talked about it before. You can see it on the far left in this photo.

The real purpose for that particular photo was to have something that indicates EXACTLY where the RR track originally lay when the park opened in 1955. Yep, it was this far forward, going through the grassy edge of what is now the HM front lawn. It was moved at least twice before it ended up where it is now. I know we talked about THAT too, a long while back, but some people may not remember.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

What indicates that the tracks were there?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

One of the main reasons I preferred the DL Mansion to the WDW one was the lighting; I find it way too dark at WDW even to see a lot of the things you're supposed to see. It sounds like maybe the lighting in Anaheim is being reduced to Orlando levels. Oh, well - one less reason to envy the West Coasters, I guess. You still have the walkthrough corridor, though. And the real hitchhikers, for now.

If you put mail in that mailbox, does it go straight to the Dead Letter Office? (har har)

Did anyone else see that they announced what this year's HMH gingerbread house design?
    SNEAK PEEK: Jack
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Did anyone else see that they announced what this year's HMH gingerbread house design?
    SNEAK PEEK: Jack
    Ha! Love the fondant Zero!

What indicates that the tracks were there?
    Aerial photos, old and new, superimposed.

• Yoiks!

Thanks for the sneak peak of the gingerbread house. It looks cool.

HBG2: When you write about the grandfather clock you should look at the 1933 Micky Mouse Cartoon "The Mad Doctor" It might have influenced the original design. (But you probably know that already

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    Thanks for the sneak peak of the gingerbread house. It looks cool.

HBG2: When you write about the grandfather clock you should look at the 1933 Micky Mouse Cartoon "The Mad Doctor" It might have influenced the original design. (But you probably know that already
    Yes indeed, and I'm giving credit to our own Waltzing Ghost for first drawing my attention to it way back HERE.

Total change of subject: Here's a gif of Ol' Blasty in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    One of the main reasons I preferred the DL Mansion to the WDW one was the lighting; I find it way too dark at WDW even to see a lot of the things you're supposed to see. It sounds like maybe the lighting in Anaheim is being reduced to Orlando levels. Oh, well - one less reason to envy the West Coasters, I guess. You still have the walkthrough corridor, though. And the real hitchhikers, for now.

If you put mail in that mailbox, does it go straight to the Dead Letter Office? (har har)
    Like you i have always been interested in the difference in the lighting of both mansions and after reading the HBG2 review i got to say it was like reading the review i never wrote on the wdw graveyard. I was at WDW a few months back and his description in almost every respect is what i saw but at the florida mansion regarding the graveyard. Dark and murky and yes especilly the mummy scene you cant see the egyptian looking crypt or the others and the shadow on the scrim same thing in FLA. But whats uncanny is i could not make out the headless knights face it was blurry i kept thinking the same thing. Plus i could bearly see the tea party Hearst if at all.But the pop ups looked great poped up fast and descend slowly anyway looks like WDI wants the lighting the same on both coasts.

• Member of Baxter's Army

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    I always come out of the DL HM depressed because it's in such bad shape.
    How so?

• whatever

Groovy.
    I'm going tonight - gonna try to take some videos and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    How so?
    It's not necessarily in bad shape, but like Dan said earlier, things are just a bit off right now. Most of the issues have to do with the positioning of elements within the ride like lights, projections, and detail stuff like that - I like to call it 'fine tuning' and they're just in need of some.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM