Page 401 of 596 FirstFirst ... 301351376391398399400401402403404411426451501 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,015 of 8930
  1. #6001

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Autobot Base
    Posts
    2,111

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Between how fantastic Paranorman was and del Toro's plans for a stop motion Pinocchio, I'd much rather see his Haunted Mansion movie be stop motion rather then live-action. Would definitely be a better choice to allow for the visuals to closer resemble the attraction and stop motion just goes well with the macabre these days.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

    Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

  2. #6002

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    747

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Eh, no thanks. The HM's not supposed to be a cartoon (except for PLQ).

    I didn't really care for ParaNorman.

  3. #6003

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Autobot Base
    Posts
    2,111

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Eh, no thanks. The HM's not supposed to be a cartoon (except for PLQ).
    But it was designed by animators. And translating Marc Davis concepts into animation can really get cool results.


    Mansion concepts brought into three-dimensions without as much of the Gibson filter would be pretty cool to see.

    Being dismissive about an imbalance between characters in the parks and original content or complaining about the visual inconsistencies in an attraction such as what the PLQ stuff has done is one thing, but the last thing I expect to see on a Disney board is something about how cartoons are bad. Animation can tell any story after all.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

    Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

  4. #6004

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Juniper Hills, CA
    Posts
    421

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Between how fantastic Paranorman was and del Toro's plans for a stop motion Pinocchio, I'd much rather see his Haunted Mansion movie be stop motion rather then live-action. Would definitely be a better choice to allow for the visuals to closer resemble the attraction and stop motion just goes well with the macabre these days.
    that's actually an intriguing idea! in fact, I would have more faith in this than GLTs live action movie--I totally agree about having the visuals closer to the original design; my big fear is they will start changing character designs to match the movie. (I wish the POTC movies never happened...)

  5. #6005

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    that's actually an intriguing idea! in fact, I would have more faith in this than GLTs live action movie--I totally agree about having the visuals closer to the original design; my big fear is they will start changing character designs to match the movie. (I wish the POTC movies never happened...)
    Since we know that HBG will be a, if not the main character, we should rest easy in this area, since odds are we have a good idea of its appearance, and he's quite conservative and traditional.

    LINKY
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  6. #6006

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I was looking at the map in the guide brochure from my DL trip last week. Look at the peculiar rendering of the HM:



    It's purely coincidental, I'm sure, but look how well that rendering supports the interpretation of the building wherein the back of the place looks very little like the front. Look at the gables and such. I wouldn't count this as "evidence," but it's certainly interesting. Note also the graveyard in the corner, exactly where the original family plot was located. That's probably coincidental also, but possibly not.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  7. #6007

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Pirates Queue Modifications Though speculative and premature This observation has me thinking, considering no other attraction has gotten the PLQ treatment since PLQ debuted do you reckon our reaction to PLQ has made Disney re-consider or the practice of shoving interactive elements into existing attraction queues. Now I maintain no illusion that PLQ is going anywhere in the near future but we might have saved other attractions from suffering the same fate.
    Last edited by HMF; 08-26-2012 at 12:16 PM.

  8. #6008

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    949

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    This observation has me thinking, considering no other attraction has gotten the PLQ treatment since PLQ debuted do you reckon our reaction to PLQ has made Disney re-consider or the practice of shoving interactive elements into existing attraction queues.
    There's also the bean-counter angle of cost-benefit analysis. Especially for an existing attraction, did this bring any additional value from a financial and/or operations standpoint to what was already there? Are more people cycling through the attraction because of the additions or are the guest surveys trending higher because of the additions? If either or both are status quo or negative then, from a financial standpoint, it does not make sense to expand this practice, regardless of how much "fun" is added to the attraction, most of which are quite popular as is.

    And, specifically, Disneyland's Mansion never really had a long line this year -- maybe 20 minutes on the busiest days. Even on Leap Day in the late evening at the park's most crowded (when, in fact, the main gate closed due to the park being full) I waited 45 minutes.

    And, Mansionistas, go over to this thread and vote for the Mansion. It's currently getting creamed by PotC and neck-and-neck with Indy and Splash Mountain:
    What is your favorite "E-ticket" as of 2012?

  9. #6009

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Bigcat is right. They'll do an analysis and see if it was worth it in purely pragmatic terms. There's been blowback from a lot of HM fans, but the positive reception from the general public is probably much bigger, if less intense.

    The HM has the most loyal and intense (some would say fanatical) fanbase of any Disney ride, and Disney has finally figured that out. Recall for a moment the overblown and relentlessly cheesy hoopla and merch extravaganza that accompanied the 40th Anny, and "40th" isn't even much of a milestone number, traditionally. They know we're here. What difference that makes in their planning for the HM's is hard to say, but I don't think they ignore the fact that the HM is unique.

    However, I don't think they think HM fans are particularly bright. They keep thinking that objections to PLQ are all about "style." If you don't like it, you're supposed to withhold criticism until you've actually seen it in person. That defense doesn't apply to conceptual objections, however, and the biggest objections to PLQ are conceptual. No matter that there are show spoilers and self-references, and no matter that a WDI-generated fan tribute for a ride is now installed as the opening act for the ride itself, we still get the Sam-I-Am rebuttal: You do not like it, so you say. Try it, try it, and you may. Try it, and you may, I say.


    Last edited by HBG2; 08-26-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  10. #6010

    • Yoiks!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Regions Beyond
    Posts
    234

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

    That's the funniest thing I've seen in awhile.

    I'm sure there will be a cost/benefit analysis but I think the queues are a Next Gen idea being pushed to keep the parks modern and relevant. They also serve the purpose of allowing newer members to add their "signature" to the parks.

  11. #6011

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Thanks.

    New postee up at the blog.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  12. #6012

    • Cunning infiltrator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Now that summer is over. Many attractions are getting their desired refurbs. Though, I don't think the overlay is going to completely fix or address those problems we saw this summer. The 'overlay' simply adds the theme....rather than fixing.

    For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

    Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

  13. #6013

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    A few pages back I lamented the fact that there are no photos or videos that show the neat, Yale Gracey-invented, rain effect outside the windows in the DL portrait hall. Well, make that ALMOST no photos. I never noticed it before, but in one of Daveland's nicest window shots you can plainly see the rain. Here's the pic as Dave did it and a second one with a little tweaking to highlight the rain.





    I guess I never noticed it because the lacy curtains against the blue sky grabs all your attention. Anyway, there's the rain, a warm, yellowish color, imitating the look of rain lit from the inside by a lighted window. (They rain descends in an endlessly repeating rolling motion, for those of you who have never seen it.)
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  14. #6014

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Sneak preview of an upcoming post.

    Last edited by HBG2; 09-11-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: fix pic
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  15. #6015

    • Lurker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    211

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I thought you guys might get a kick out of this:

    Is This Small World Actually Stretching?

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •