Page 409 of 584 FirstFirst ... 309359384399406407408409410411412419434459509 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,135 of 8757

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

As I understand it, the Dead End sign was removed in DL because the little wall it was on was taken out in order to facilitate evacuation of wheelchair-bound guests in that part of the ride when the ride goes down.

---------- Post added 10-03-2012 at 04:04 PM ----------

Latest from Del Toro on the Haunted Mansion movie HERE.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• How's My Playing, Hattie?

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I'm going to WDW for my first time as a fan (I was there once before but I didn't care much for Disney at the time). Going in about 2 weeks. Anything anyone needs me to take pictures of or anything like that?
    How many times can you listen to Baroque Hoedown until you completely lose it?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

HBG2: Oh, how I miss the dead end sign. It was one of my favorites (along with the shrieking attic pop-ups and Beating Heart). Sad losses, all....

PianoGhost: More shots of the hillside cemetery please! Especially the smaller tombstones in back, odd props like shovels and that gargoyle statue/fresh digging which people have said are there, etc. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    PianoGhost: More shots of the hillside cemetery please! Especially the smaller tombstones in back, odd props like shovels and that gargoyle statue/fresh digging which people have said are there, etc. Thank you!
    In the graveyard? Do you have any pictures so I know where?

The latest blog is the Haunted Mansion in Miniature, but what about...

The Haunted Mansion in Maxiature?

The look-alike Haunted Mansion house in Atlanta is UP FOR SALE.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by PianoGhost View Post
    In the graveyard? Do you have any pictures so I know where?
    The exterior cemetery (where Madame Leota, Brother Claude, etc tombstones are) and I believe the area largely unphotographed is towards the house itself on the right/up a hill. Some tombstones and thematic elements up beyond the 'closer' row of stones to the fence/walkway. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The exterior cemetery (where Madame Leota, Brother Claude, etc tombstones are) and I believe the area largely unphotographed is towards the house itself on the right/up a hill. Some tombstones and thematic elements up beyond the 'closer' row of stones to the fence/walkway. Thanks!
    Rule of thumb: If it's really hard to get into a good position to photograph it, that's the stuff.

Anything anyone needs me to take pictures of or anything like that?
    Close-up shots of the pet cemetery tombstones, with the epitaphs and everything.

---------- Post added 10-04-2012 at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhoulishMortal
    One thing that snagged my curiosity was what happened to the "DEAD END" sign at both American mansions?
    I've never seen that sign at the WDW HM. Was it there at one time?

I'll see what I can do. I'll take pictures of all the original queue just to be safe.

I'd love to see that Haunted Mansion replica house in person. It's killing me knowing that I may never see the entire inside.

---------- Post added 10-04-2012 at 01:44 PM ----------

Did anyone else notice that they say its a "replica of the one at Disneyland". When If you take a good look at it, it's not very exact. There's no tower on the top, the triangular top is only on the front and the green exterior goes all around both sides.
    Last edited by PianoGhost; 10-04-2012 at 12:45 PM.

• Minion

Detailed recreation of the WDW Mansion in Roller Coaster Tycoon 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55cEyFTNnU

• Member of Baxter's Army

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I'm going to WDW for my first time as a fan (I was there once before but I didn't care much for Disney at the time). Going in about 2 weeks. Anything anyone needs me to take pictures of or anything like that?
    Anything in the Attic would be appreciated.

---------- Post added 10-05-2012 at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post

That would be great if PLQ was bypassed.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post

What I want to know is where they got a hold of what appear to be source tracks of the new WDW graveyard ghost vocals? I've been wanting to get my hands on those...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    What I want to know is where they got a hold of what appear to be source tracks of the new WDW graveyard ghost vocals? I've been wanting to get my hands on those...
    They're live recordings, enhanced a bit with some added reverb.

The Murder of Crows

This topic has been touched upon a few times in the course of the long and winding Thread, but I've got a new bit of curious data to add.

As we know, there frequently appears a flock of crows at the DL HM in the evening. Since the collective noun for crows is "murder," it makes for some great fun, speaking of the "murder" at the HM every evening.

The crows have been photographed frequently.

How long have they been exhibiting this behavior? That's been anyone's guess until now, but there may be a bit of overlooked evidence out there. This photo from about 1965 has been widely published, but it's usually cropped more than this:

I wonder if that's our murder, a habit extending over several generations of crows:

Gee, I've been meaning to comment on your trip report for the longest time...

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    1. The foyer chandelier is quite dusty and has some small traces of cobwebs on it, which conflicts with my argument that the place is immaculate until you get to the load area. I looked very close, and I think it's all natural, actual dust and cobwebbery, not phony. They've neglected it on purpose, and this is what you get after years go by. So the place is a little unkempt here and there even from the beginning. Not a big deal, really.
    For a week or so there was a spiderweb that extended between one of the gargoyle's candles in the forward stretchroom. It was amusing to see a real cobweb and to see it on successive visits.

2. The stretchrooms looked good. All the frames were behaving well, and there was very little wrinkling or other defects to be seen anywhere.
    One of the walls in the left-hand stretchroom developed a scratch in the wallpaper sometime during the spring.

3. The darkness level is a mixed bag. If your eyes are not used to the dark, you can hardly make out a thing in the changing portraits when not transformed by lightning. But if your eyes are used to the dark, it isn't bad in there. They should increase the lighting on the paintings a little.
    Agree. I do prefer the paintings changing by lightning (as described in the storybook) instead of the steady fade up and down.

6. It's too dark to see either one of the doors with the blowing drapes in them. On those rides when my eyes were fully used to the dark, and I looked very close, I could barely see the drapes, and they weren't moving at all.
    Somewhere you mentioned the broken window in the conservatory as an important narrative point, but I have not ever seen it due to the low light levels there. Did you see it? HMH is much brighter all over but I forgot to look for it during my one ride through.

7. As others have reported, two-thirds of the forbidden monologue is in use. The GH says, "All our ghosts have been dying to meet you; this one can hardly contain himself," followed shortly by "Unfortunately, they all seem to have trouble getting through." But the remainder is missing ("Perhaps Madame Leota...").
    Having experienced both "versions" multiple times I have to say that even though you lose the strong narrative provided by the extra narration I prefer the GH be silent through the CoD. With the GH talking you can't really hear the environmental audio and it's simply not as spooky to be accompanied as to be alone. I'm convinced that the vehicles traveling backwards is intended to throw the rider off balance. We're not accustomed to new and sometimes startling things appearing first in our peripheral vision. With nothing but screams and groaning voices it's much more effective. It works for me that way, anyway.

Otherwise, I thought that the Sťance room looked okay, for the most part. Mdm L was in sync, and you couldn't see any wires unless your eyes were fully accustomed to the dark, and even then it was difficult. However, when your eyes are used to the dark, a lot of crap on the ceiling is visible. They should hang long black fabric curtains around the holes up there where the wires hang down.
    I really wish they'd do something with the ceiling too. It looks like panels are missing and you can see the rafters. It does work if my eyes aren't light-adjusted, as you say, but I always notice the glint of the wire stretching back from Leota at a 45-degree angle, even though I try not to.

One tiny detail I noticed when listening to the 1976 ride-through on your site is that the timing of Leota's incantations and the responses seems to have changed. Then there was a definite overlap between the two -- the bell starting to ring before Leota actually says "ringing a bell," for example (IIRC) but now she finishes before any response is heard.

11. The right end of the ballroom needs more light. You can't see granny's chair when she's not visible in it, and the guy on the mantelpiece is glowing away by himself. You can't make out the Lucretia bust or the mantel itself in the dark.
    The one figure that is almost indiscernible is the guy on the immediate right of the lady blowing the candles out. There's a dull red blob there, but it is clearly a well-lit party-goer in photographs on your site.

15. There's a very obvious wire or rope holding up one of the tree limbs. Just looks tacky.
    Umm, I see a lot of wires supporting the trees. I do like the descent to the graveyard because it reminds me that though I was a terrible scaredy-cat as a kid I know I rode the HM twice, the first with my mother and the second with my sister who pointed out that the crow in the tree is pointing right at your neck! I don't know if that's literally true but it gives him an extra bit of "plussing" for me.

Also, did your ride Snow White's Scary Adventures on your visit? The trees and forest scene is quite something in there. Look out for bats! Tonally it's an interesting contrast with the HM since it contains skeletons of humans obviously tortured to death and though the HM is quite macabre it contains nothing quite that brutal (Constance's murders are more implied than actually shown, for example).

16. The popups look terrible. They're slow, and their skirts are flimsy, tacky things that don't even cover the mechanism. I think they should dispense with the skirts entirely and use non-fluorescent clothing on them, letting their faces alone glow. And speed them up. Put in a new rubber band or something.
    I'd maybe prefer they become random if they're not going to be scream-synced to the soundtrack as they once were, though that's one more break to the original script. The one in front of the band is synced to lines within the verses rather than between them and I have intentionally not figured that out since getting a good startle really adds to it (for me). The next one behind the sarcophagus with the moving lid (which unfortunately is misaligned and reveals its mechanism) is also synced differently but it's so dark I don't think the poor thing can scare anything. I believe sarcophagus-guy appears at "restless bones etherealize."

21. I never noticed before how lively and animated is the Gus figure in the headsman trio. He's bustin' some moves up there.
    One thing they fight with AAs is inertia so a smaller figure would have greater latitude to move and they probably took advantage of that. The Hopper AA in DCA's It's Tough To Be A Bug is one of my favorites. It's huge and moves like crazy, probably due to its more recent construction.

22. I couldn't look at the HHG beside me in the mirror without a touch of sadness and anger, strongly suspecting that this may well be the last time I see this effect. So the guy in the mirror next to the ghost never looked like he was having as good a time as he was.
    Unless they can shoehorn changes into the period when they remove the HMH they really don't have a lot of time to close the HM to the public. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

23. Little Leota looked great, I thought. As I was consistently successful in being the last in my group, there was no one behind me, and I could walk backwards on the escalator and enjoy the tableau literally as much as I wanted.
    Another sister was so amused by LL that she wouldn't stop saying "Don't forget to bring your death certificate" for many weeks after a long-ago Disneyland visit.

And then, perhaps my favorite extra touch is the GH's laugh right as you exit through the turnstiles. I had never known about that until I discovered it this year and now I always make sure I hear a good hearty laugh before I leave. (It's the same laugh occasionally heard by the sarcophagus with the pop-up behind it mentioned earlier.)

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM