Page 41 of 584 FirstFirst ... 163138394041424344516691141541 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    There are still a number of references to hitchhiking in popular media, and sticking one's thumb out is still the universal symbol for hitchhiking. Even if the cultural reference to hitchhiking is less known, the gag works without it. You can infer from the context what hitchhiking means when the ghost ends up in your doombuggy. Furthermore, the Ghost Host says "Hitchhiking Ghosts", indicating that it's not something that only ghosts do, but that these particular ghosts are engaging in that activity, if that makes sense.
    That's more or less what I think. There are enough thumbing hitchhikers in old movies and TV shows that it'll never lapse into complete obscurity. It's like candlestick telephones. Everyone recognizes them.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Still see the occasional hitchhiker here around the Baltimore area. Not quite as often as I used to, but I've passed several this year. I'm confident that it will not likely become an unrecognizable gesture, so long as there are people without transportation that need to get somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    It's like candlestick telephones. Everyone recognizes them.
    Recognize them, yes. Know they were called "Candlestick Telephones," no. I had to google that one. But, of course, I recognized them as soon as I saw an image.

Neither did I know about the "ala Dorian Gray" note. Makes sense though. I'm just glad they just took inspiration from the story rather than applying an amoral undertone to him.

But it's these information nuggets that began the thread and keep it alive.
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Minion

Exactly, i've still got 2 more of these epic threads to read through too. And any nuggets that aren't mentioned i'll happily mention/research them. What ever happenned to GDR (sp?)?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    Recognize them, yes. Know they were called "Candlestick Telephones," no. I had to google that one. But, of course, I recognized them as soon as I saw an image.
    Wow, you must be a really young whippersnapper! My grandmother had a candlestick telephone up until the mid-1960s. It had no dial, and no bell. The bell was in a big, black box mounted on the baseboard of the wall, and you had to lift the receiver and wait to speak to the Operator and have her dial the number for you. It was also on a "Party Line", where several families shared one phone line. You had to listen to the ring pattern to know if the call was for you - and your neighbors could listen in as well. She eventually replaced it with a standard beige desk phone with a dial.

I myself even had a reproduction candlestick phone with a real dial (not like those ones today with buttons instead). However, it was very cumbersome to use, requiring both hands to use or it had to be sitting on a table to use with only one hand. So, I upgraded to a real Western Electric desk phone (ala "I Love Lucy"). Refurbished it myself. I wonder how many kids today would not know how to use a dial telephone?

Ah, the good old days...

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Wow, you must be a really young whippersnapper!
    Actually, no. I was born a month (give or take) before the DL Mansion opened. But I definitely remember those phones in film or television. I just never knew the name.
    Last edited by RobotWolf; 07-09-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

Quote Originally Posted by Joelio View Post
    Exactly, i've still got 2 more of these epic threads to read through too. And any nuggets that aren't mentioned i'll happily mention/research them. What ever happenned to GDR (sp?)?
    GRD is now a Disney employee, which is good in one way, bad in another. Disney doesn't like their employees getting too chatty on chatboards, so they try to limit their participation. He's still lurking about, though, rest assured.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Wow, you must be a really young whippersnapper! My grandmother had a candlestick telephone up until the mid-1960s. It had no dial, and no bell. The bell was in a big, black box mounted on the baseboard of the wall, and you had to lift the receiver and wait to speak to the Operator and have her dial the number for you. It was also on a "Party Line", where several families shared one phone line. You had to listen to the ring pattern to know if the call was for you - and your neighbors could listen in as well. She eventually replaced it with a standard beige desk phone with a dial.

I myself even had a reproduction candlestick phone with a real dial (not like those ones today with buttons instead). However, it was very cumbersome to use, requiring both hands to use or it had to be sitting on a table to use with only one hand. So, I upgraded to a real Western Electric desk phone (ala "I Love Lucy"). Refurbished it myself. I wonder how many kids today would not know how to use a dial telephone?

Ah, the good old days...
    Heh. We still had a black dial telephone in our family room up until two or three years ago, and we had more than one youthful guest unable to use it without help. I guess passive observation of people using a dial phone in the movies isn't enough to get the hang of it.

• Minion

Thanks HBG2, spelling gaff aside, he seemed to know his stuff much like your goodself. as well as other frequent posters in these threads.

EDITED: after reading thread 5's merchandise discussion.
    Last edited by Joelio; 07-10-2010 at 06:57 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Does anyone know whether they sell prints of the changing portraits, or the portraits in either of the Mansions stretching galleries?
    At Disneyland, there are still some print on demand HM images I believe in the system. I have Marc Davis concept sketches in large format for the original "panther woman" and the alligator gal stretching portrait in my personal belonging.

• Minion

Thanks for the reply, i'll have to check the DLP Gallery in Disney Village and see if that offer is available.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Interesting tidbit, and this could mean 100 percent nothing, from today at the park just posted here on MC: 7/10/10 - A few pics from a quick lunchtime visit.

President of the resort George Kalogridis was spotted going in the side door of the HM during park hours for a visit. Of course, could just have been going in to check out capacity, current ride status, employee interaction, any number of things...but do we have anyone more informed here at the Thread as the frequency/regularity of management checking out attractions with regular guests during operating hours? Of course, this is nothing conclusive, but interesting if he was theoretically scoping it out for a specific future reason.

• Minion

Well on a related note, it was announced that it was going down early for HMH, maybe they'll use the time to sort the HBG's area, ready to slot the new AA in place after the Holiday season, one can only hope.

EDIT: As for the HBG, surely they could get it to work quite easily using scrim. double layered around the HBG's face (like a veil, but not) with a backlight, and a single layer of scrim in the Hatbox, then its just fluctuating light. Unless the actual method is alot simpler, just tossing an idea out there
    Last edited by Joelio; 07-11-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Well on a related note, it was announced that it was going down early for HMH, maybe they'll use the time to sort the HBG's area, ready to slot the new AA in place after the Holiday season, one can only hope.

EDIT: As for the HBG, surely they could get it to work quite easily using scrim. double layered around the HBG's face (like a veil, but not) with a backlight, and a single layer of scrim in the Hatbox, then its just fluctuating light. Unless the actual method is alot simpler, just tossing an idea out there
    The head in the hatbox was never a problem. As you say, scrim is the way to go. The original did it exactly that way, and it worked fine. It's getting the head on the shoulders to completely disappear that's the challenge.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

I was just browsing YouTube when I came across this video of the WDW Haunted Mansion (1993). Its interesting to see the well manicured lawn and the short awning.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO2EZOyFISA&feature=related]YouTube - Disney World Haunted Mansion 1993[/ame]

• Minion

So nice to see the pop-and-boo attic again.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM