Page 413 of 616 FirstFirst ... 313363388403410411412413414415416423438463513 ... LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,195 of 9236

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Sneak preview of the next blog post.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Some very nice photo finds, my fine fellow Threadsters. First, here's a foggy day HM exterior shot from the first few years. Definitely before 1973 (it's still got a sail).

Second, a new HHG pic. There are several great photos of the threesome taken shortly before opening day for postcards, slides, souvenirs, etc. Here are three of those that we've all seen before:

Those are all nice. But for the longest time, this pathetic thing was my only copy of a fourth such photo. I know it looks a lot like #3, but look close; it's a different photo.

Well, I just found today a superb copy of that photo:

I don't know if this has appeared here before, but I just found some movie deleted scenes on youtube that I had not seen before. Please forgive me if this is a duplicated post, but I never saw this and wanted to share it with you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCnmj3V_Q2o

Even the bloopers from that movie are sub-par.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    On a wildly unrelated note, I clicked my way over to the Disney Parks Blog earlier today. Their blog pages have been displaying a selection of Disney Halloween-appropriate cover photos in the spirit of the season. Plenty of Mansion, Manor and Tower of Terror images. All nice, but nothing we've never really seen before. That is, until this little gem popped up for me this morning:

Attachment 24622

. . . I have basically no idea what to think about it. The art, to me, looks to contemporary to have been used in the creation of the original attraction, though not contemporary enough to make me think it's something they still plan on building (IE: Not for Mystic Manor). It must be some abandoned concept for . . . something. Looks very stylistically reminiscent of 80's/90's Imagineering Concept Art to me . . . and surely you can see why it seems Mansiony enough (even Museum of the Weird enough) that I would feel the urge to share it here.

Part of me seems to recall that when the Tokyo Mansion was in development there was talk of taking a radically different approach to their attraction . . . maybe it has something to do with that? I can't find anything else on it around the 'net. It really is a confusing piece . . . I'm not sure we've seen anything like it before.
    The Parks blog had a post today featuring all the new banners. They cite this as being a Magic Kingdom concept.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Have you guys seen this? It's a pretty decent video, sort of a Blair Witch realistic horror flick (until the end), featuring the HM.

Disneyland proposal goes horribly wrong in The Haunted Mansion - YouTube

Interesting publicity shot for the March 1970 Osmonds HM show that I hadn't seen before. First time I've had any idea of how the queue diverted at that point. More fun: I've never noticed that green birdcage before! Going thru old pix, it seems it was there from opening day to about 1974, give or take a year until some time between Aug 71 and June 72.

Last edited by HBG2; 10-31-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: date correction

• We Go On.

Why does the color of the ironwork look different in that picture?

? It looks normal-colored to me.

Superpost coming later on.

SUPERPOST

Sorta.

First, here's a new old picture of the DL attic bride. It's after 1975 but before 1995; in other words, it's a rare flash picture of good old "Round Eyes."

But here's the thing. In the process of identifying it as definitely Disneyland and not WDW, I realized to my dismay that much of our (my) discussion of the brides has been reliant on an erroneous identification.

Remember when this baby first surfaced, several years ago? The guy who put it up is the guy in the photo, and he confidently labeled it as Walt Disney World at the time of its opening, 1971. Besides being a butler, he had been active in getting the Orlando mansion going.

So there was the Corpse Bride, the original WDW version, and a seemingly reliable basis for further conclusions. I used the photo to identify another old bride photo as a subsequent version of the WDW bride from some later date...

...based on similarities in the photos' backgrounds, like a conspicuous knothole and light/dark coloration of certain planks.

Well, it's incorrect. I don't know how or why the guy got the identification of his photo completely wrong, but it's NOT WDW at all; it's Disneyland.

Here's a nice clear shot of the DL corner, from early 2005 (just before Constance). Distinctive features include those crazy sprinkler pipes, the aforementioned knothole, a conspicuous light crack running horizontally on a particular board, and another board with noticeable light/dark contrast on its left and right sides.

Makes it easy to spot DL, once you get familiar with these idiosyncrasies.

Now compare WDW, in these clear shots from 1989 and 1990.

There is this conspicuous forky widget of some kind in the corner (I think it's rope, actually), no funky sprinkler pipes, and a vertical board noticeably darker than its neighbors.

They make WDW's attic corner easy to identify. In this one, the bride herself is a dead giveaway of course.

So if you go back to our original Corpse Bride photo, it's obvious now that it's the DL attic and not the WDW attic. So what? Well, not only that one but the one I identified with its help must be reassigned to DL. It also means the 1975 photo of the DL Corpse Bride that caused a bit of a stir last year is simply (yawn) another photo of the same Corpse Bride in the 1971 photo—that is, if the date is correct. That's rather iffy now, isn't it? It also means that there is now no hard evidence that WDW ever had the CB, but that can still be inferred with a good deal of confidence. Remember that they knew they were going to build the WDW HM when they were building the DL HM and made duplicates of all the figures and effects. It stands to reason that if DL started out with the CB, a duplicate was readied for WDW. Someone might object that in the two years DL HM was running before WDW opened, changes might have been made based on dissatisfaction with the original effects at DL. That's why WDW never got the HBG, for example. But we also know that DL still had a CB as late as 1975, so apparently the figure was thought to work satisfactorily, and there's therefore no reason to suppose that the same figure wasn't in WDW when it opened.

So it isn't really a big deal. The only real change is the reassignment of these two photos to DL that previously were thought to be WDW. Update your files! And of course, add the rare flash photo of Round Eyes to your collection while you're at it.

And here's an updated version of the WDW historical lineup, since I should no longer use the above photo as the model for the "Round Eye" version in second place.

Last edited by HBG2; 10-30-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: typo fix

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Why does the color of the ironwork look different in that picture?
    I think the whole picture is just a little desaturated.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    ? It looks normal-colored to me.
    I guess the green just looks waaay lighter in that picture to me. Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

Aaaand this:
    Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel
    I think the whole picture is just a little desaturated.
    Last edited by WDITrent; 10-31-2012 at 01:21 PM.

• Minion

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

That's pretty neat.

• How's My Playing, Hattie?

Would anyone mind if we had a discussion on the Hitchhiking Ghosts?

I wanted to know what order all the DL models go in. I've seen multiple pictures and I wanted to get some dates on them.
    How many times can you listen to Baroque Hoedown until you completely lose it?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM