Page 416 of 726 FirstFirst ... 316366391406413414415416417418419426441466516 ... LastLast
Results 6,226 to 6,240 of 10878

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    na·vel-gaz·ing (nvl-gzng)
    n. Slang
    Excessive introspection, self-absorption, or concentration on a single issue.
    na·val-gaz·ing (nvl-gzng)
    n. HBG2 made-up word
    Staring at nautical things.

They're never funny when you explain 'em, but even under the best conditions mine wasn't as funny as his, so it's no great loss.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by hbg2 View Post
    yes indeed, but when hm fans obsess over such trivial details, i think it's nothing more than naval gazing.
    haa!!

The famous wallpaper was featured in a recent ad:

• How's My Playing, Hattie?

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    na·val-gaz·ing (nvl-gzng)
    n. HBG2 made-up word
    Staring at nautical things.

That's incorrect technically. You put it as a noun. Your word would be a verb.

Nope, it's a noun. A gerund, to be precise, a participial form used as a noun. "Swimming is good for you."

• Dapper Dan-nabe

Ok, maybe I'm just being overly Mansion-minded, but does anyone else see an Ezra resemblance in the new collectible mug at Trader Sam's?
    Another Collectible Mug from Trader Sam
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    Ok, maybe I'm just being overly Mansion-minded, but does anyone else see an Ezra resemblance in the new collectible mug at Trader Sam's?
    Another Collectible Mug from Trader Sam
    Yep - that's old winky all right!

Looks a lot like him, no doubt.

I'm feeling good...got two more posts in the can and ready to go for el bloggo. One will be on the Headless Horseman scene in Ken Anderson's Ghost House, and the other will be on an approach to scaring people that they almost used but didn't.

• Minion

Neat! I can never get enough Headless Horseman.

Nope, it's a noun. A gerund, to be precise, a participial form used as a noun. "Swimming is good for you."
    Then wouldn't the definition be "The act/action of staring at nautical things."?

Swimming would be "The act/action of swimming."

"The act of doing something" = a noun.

"Staring" as a participle, a non-finite verbal form: "He is staring at other women."
    "Staring" as a gerund; that is, a noun: "His shameless staring at other women annoyed her." The verb in that sentence is "annoyed," and the subject of the verb is "staring." The subject of a verb is always a noun.

"The act of doing something" = a noun.

"Staring" as a participle, a non-finite verbal form: "He is staring at other women."
    "Staring" as a gerund; that is, a noun: "His shameless staring at other women annoyed her." The verb in that sentence is "annoyed," and the subject of the verb is "staring." The subject of a verb is always a noun.

o.O.... Okay... I'm done with this word.

We all know that for a long time they planned on having the raven as a talking character, and they planned on having him in various places where he is not today. One such place is the stretching room. We all know the "caw, caw, the coward's way" schtick pretty well. The question is, where was he going to be perched? He could have been standing on the head of one of the gargoyles. That would have worked, I think. But according to the "Story and Song" narrative, based on an X Atencio 1968 show script, the raven sits on a bookcase. I've often wondered what kind of bookcase, and where it would be.

I'll touch on this topic briefly in an upcoming post, but in the meanwhile, I wonder if any of you have speculated on the problem. Strictly for kicks and giggles, here's a quick and dirty photoslop I did to illustrate the only way it seems to me that it could have been done with a bookcase.

• Minion

We all know that for a long time they planned on having the raven as a talking character, and they planned on having him in various places where he is not today. One such place is the stretching room. We all know the "caw, caw, the coward's way" schtick pretty well. The question is, where was he going to be perched? He could have been standing on the head of one of the gargoyles. That would have worked, I think. But according to the "Story and Song" narrative, based on an X Atencio 1968 show script, the raven sits on a bookcase. I've often wondered what kind of bookcase, and where it would be.

I'll touch on this topic briefly in an upcoming post, but in the meanwhile, I wonder if any of you have speculated on the problem. Strictly for kicks and giggles, here's a quick and dirty photoslop I did to illustrate the only way it seems to me that it could have been done with a bookcase.

I had always imagined that one wall of the Stretch Room (presumably on one of the walls without a portrait) had a built-in faux bookcase, and after the lightning, the raven appeared on top while the lights were out. It would be just deep enough to house a raven AA figure, or else pop through a hidden door in the wall paper just above a flat bookcase. Something along those lines.

Seen in the recent D23 video, here's a sample from one of the late '60s X. Atencio scripts:

GHOSTLY WIND WAILING

4. :17

By this time sixty patrons will have filled the foyer and the doors closed behind them. The doors of the first elevator open and the voice of the GHOST HOST, loud enough for all to hear, comes from the far wall of the elevator.

GHOST HOST
    WELCOME, FOOLISH MORTALS - WELCOME TO THE HAUNTED MANSION. I AM YOUR HOST, YOUR INVISIBLE GHOST HOST. OUR TOUR WILL BEGIN HERE IN THE GHOSTLY GALLERY - SO KINDLY STEP ALL THE WAY IN, PLEASE, AND MAKE ROOM FOR EVERYONE. .... THERE'S NO TURNING BACK NOW!

Sixty patrons fill the first elevator and the doors silently close behind them like a sliding secret panel. As the elevator descends, the room seems to stretch, almost imperceptively. The Gallery is octagonal in shape, richly decorated but gloomily lit. There are portraits on four of the eight walls that likewise elongate with the stretching room.

---------- Post added 11-11-2012 at 09:10 PM ----------

Here's another script sample, describing the attic scene. Notice in the D23 video, it's in a different font than the stretching room script page, which I'm guessing was from an earlier version.

...TOUR OF THE HAUNTED MANSION. ONCE MORE, DIAPHONOUS 'BANSHEES' WAFT GRACEFULLY FROM THE TALL ORGAN PIPES TO THE TEMPO OF THE HAUNTING ORGAN RECITAL.

6:20 Sc. X - THE ATTIC

THE FAINT BUT UNMISTAKABLE SOUND OF A BEATING HEART BECOMES AUDIBLE AS THE STRAINS OF THE MAD ORGAN RECITAL FADE AWAY. THE HEART-BEAT SOUND INTENSIFIES UNTIL THE DISQUIETED VISITORS ARE BROUGHT FACE TO FACE WITH A WEIRD APPARITION, AN EERIE GHOSTLY BRIDE WHOSE, STRANGELY ILLUMINATED, HEART GLOWS WITH EACH RHYTHMIC HEART BEAT. THE HYPNOTIC FASCINATION FOR THE BEATING HEART IS INTERRUPTED BY IMPISH DEMONS THAT POP OUT OF TRUNKS AND BOXES WITH STARTLING IRREGULARITY.

THEN, OUT OF THE SHADOWS, ANOTHER GHOSTLY MANIFESTATION APPEARS TO STARTLE THE TOURISTS. A CLOAKED FIGURE, WITH AN EVIL GRINNING FACE, STANDS HOLDING A HAT-BOX. IN PASSING THEY REALIZE THAT THE GRINNING FACE DISAPPEARS FROM THE BODY AND GLOWS HIDEOUSLY FROM WITHIN THE HAT-BOX, ALTERNATING IN TEMPO WITH THE BEATING HEART SOUND.

6:50 Sc. XI - THE WIDOW'S WALK - TRANSITION TO GRAVEYARD

THE OMNIMOVERS EXIT THE ATTIC THROUGH A DORMER WINDOW AND CONTINUE ALONG A 'WIDOW'S WALK' OVERLOOKING A

---------- Post added 11-11-2012 at 09:48 PM ----------

About the attic script...

There's no implication of the Hatbox Ghost being the groom. The Story and Song album is really the only thing we know of that says that.

This is the first time I've seen the balcony that the Buggies descend from being called a "widow's walk." From the Wikipedia page on the subject:
    A popular romantic myth holds that the platform was used to observe vessels at sea. The name is said to come from the wives of mariners, who would watch for their spouses' return, often in vain as the ocean took the lives of the mariners, leaving the women widows.
    This is obviously what the original character represented - a bride forever waiting for her long-lost husband to return. So was the Hatbox Ghost always meant to be the missing groom, or was he just supposed to be another ghost haunting the attic, unconnected to the bride's circumstances?

The waiting bride thing can still work with Constance. That was probably the role she played after killing George, assuming his body wasn't found.

---------- Post added 11-11-2012 at 10:32 PM ----------

The dwarf prisoner is a Viking in the HM MPC model kit Escape from the Crypt. Note the horned helmet next to the hole he came out of.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM