Page 417 of 603 FirstFirst ... 317367392407414415416417418419420427442467517 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,255 of 9032

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

In HM movie news...

*Del Toro briefly talked about the status of the project in a recent interview with FEARnet. Quotes:

"We are finishing the deal with a new writer to do a draft on it."
    "We are doing one more revision, and we are very close to getting the movie made. I think we need a fresh point of view on the screenplay."
    *According to IMDbPro, Mike Elizalde of Spectral Motion will be doing the creature and makeup effects.

*I found this intriguing video the other day, described by its uploader as "Storyboards for new Haunted Mansion film." It shows how a sequence set in the ballroom would play out, accompanied by the music of Vivaldi. Not sure if it's the real deal or not (if it is, whoever put it online could get in a lot of trouble), but you never know.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 11-11-2012 at 11:37 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

(1) The ball and chain restraining device was used from the 1880's to the 1940's, so it's much too modern for a Viking prisoner. I'm guessing that in popular culture, most people think it's a much older device, possibly even medieval, but that's still too late for a Viking. Gus may have picked up a detail or two from other, discarded ghost concepts, but I think he descends most directly from the blobby/furry ghosts seen in earlier Davis artwork with a ball and chain (around the neck!).

(2) Naval gazing, eh? Hmm. Well, "Widow's Walk" is a common architectural term, and it's an accurate architectural description of what is actually there outside the HM attic. The etymological origins of "Widow's Walk" are no more determinative of its meaning and function on any particular house than "garrett," which originally referred to a military watchtower. At the HM, the Widow's Walk seems to be facing inland, overlooking what is supposed to be a huge graveyard. So I don't assign any particular significance to the use or non-use of the term in any given WED document.

----------------

That video looks awfully good for a fake. Possibly a deliberate "leak" just to generate buzz?
    Last edited by HBG2; 11-12-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Something new at WDW:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ount=40&ref=nf

Seems the Caretaker now has a name, and "Gracey Manor" is once again official...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I approve at least of the Crump shoutout, the Gracey name being canon again/intended to be the ghost host...meh. But Yale Gracey himself deserves tributes, no two ways about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost
    Seems the Caretaker now has a name
    Silas Crump can't be the caretaker you see in the graveyard. The box is addressed to Gracey Manor in Hudson River Valley, Province of New York (which only existed from 1664-1775).

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost
    and "Gracey Manor" is once again official...
    This is the first time it's official, as far as I know. The house has always just been referred to in the park as "The Haunted Mansion," and Gastley Mansion in one instance (until they recently removed the sign bearing that name).

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond
    Gracey name being canon again/intended to be the ghost host...meh.
    This doesn't make Gracey the Ghost Host.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 11-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.

There isn't anything there to positively indicate that the HM is the intended address. Some guy named Silas Crump is the caretaker at some place called Gracey Manor. A couple of cute tributes to Crump and Gracey, with a hint at the HM (admittedly, because that's what those two worked on together from 59-62), but nothing that absolutely identifies it with the HM, so therefore the HM isn't necessarily being dubbed "Gracey Manor."

• Minion

The inference here is that it's goods coming into the Mansion, something that the Caretaker ordered, and I'm confident that was the intention of this prop. The fact that it reads "Province of New York" is likely an error in the period that the Mansion was built by whomever designed it. Few would know that it actually pre-dates the Mansion. Hard to ignore the connection between "Master Gracey" and "Gracey Manor" even if it weren't already used in the film. I really don't believe anyone reading it would think it was something being sent to another Hudson Valley mansion owned by another Gracey family member.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 11-13-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    The inference here is that it's goods coming into the Mansion, something that the Caretaker ordered, and I'm confident that was the intention of this prop. The fact that it reads "Province of New York" is likely an error in the period that the Mansion was built by whomever designed it. Few would know that it actually pre-dates the Mansion. Hard to ignore the connection between "Master Gracey" and "Gracey Manor" even if it weren't already used in the film. I really don't believe anyone reading it would think it was something being sent to another Hudson Valley mansion owned by another Gracey family member.
    I agree that that is the intent of whomever did this crate, but I'm just saying we needn't feel bound by it. Wiggle room, and all that.

If it's a screw up, it wouldn't be the first time local WDW Imagineering has proven inept in handling what little there is of the HM storyline that is set in stone. Remember the construction sign from 2007? The one that identified "Master Gracey" as the Ghost Host? Someone higher up on the WDI food chain made them erase it. I don't know how those Top Men would feel about the place being named "Gracey Manor." Now that special attention has been drawn to that crate, it will be interesting to see if it's just ignored/overlooked/regarded as acceptably canonical, or yanked/altered.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I agree that that is the intent of whomever did this crate, but I'm just saying we needn't feel bound by it. Wiggle room, and all that.
    Definitely agree. I prefer the Mansion to be a fantastic, mysterious enigma.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Silas Crump can't be the caretaker you see in the graveyard. The box is addressed to Gracey Manor in Hudson River Valley, Province of New York (which only existed from 1664-1775).
    Even leaving anachronisms aside, I don't think the caretaker we see is the caretaker of the house. He's in charge of the public cemetery.

If this Crump feller is indeed supposed to be someone we see or hear in the house, my money's on the Ghost Host/Hatchet Man.

Good point, but I wonder how many at WDI have figured out that he must be the caretaker for the cemetery, not the house.

=================

Microtrivia for Cabaret du Néant fans: In some pictures of the first room, you can see a painting on the wall that looks like an automobile running over people, but it's hard to make out.

Well, as it happens, there's a cartoon in Punch from 1903 that seems similar, so that helps with the deciphering.

---------- Post added 11-13-2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

Also, some time in the next day or two, the LF blog will likely get hit number 500,000. Half a mil! The Mansion rocks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Even leaving anachronisms aside, I don't think the caretaker we see is the caretaker of the house. He's in charge of the public cemetery.

If this Crump feller is indeed supposed to be someone we see or hear in the house, my money's on the Ghost Host/Hatchet Man.
    I totally forgot that detail. I'm guessing WDI did too... Not certain that the Ghost Host would have the title of "Caretaker". Caretaker (to me) refers to the groundskeeper, although I suppose anything is possible.

• Mr. Ghost

Some artistic soul has figured out how the ride layout would fit inside the WDW facade. Very creative

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post

One small problem with that theory and it brings up the dreaded issue of PLQ If you remember Carsillo's tour/response video he more or less pointed out (and more or less criticized this thread for) not noticing the caretakers footprints and his dog's pawprints embedded into the cement near the side so I am guessing that would imply he is the caretaker of the Mansion itself.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    One small problem with that theory and it brings up the dreaded issue of PLQ If you remember Carsillo's tour/response video he more or less pointed out (and more or less criticized this thread for) not noticing the caretakers footprints and his dog's pawprints embedded into the cement near the side so I am guessing that would imply he is the caretaker of the Mansion itself.
    Good point, and it just shows once again how dumb PLQ is. He's the old caretaker of this house, is he? And (now) they've got a bunch of crypts bearing testimony to long standing and ongoing ghostly activities like haunted organs and deceased but talkative poets, and yet when we see him, it's clear by his expression that he's never seen anything like this ghostly jamboree.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM