Page 418 of 584 FirstFirst ... 318368393408415416417418419420421428443468518 ... LastLast
Results 6,256 to 6,270 of 8750

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Something new at WDW:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ount=40&ref=nf

Seems the Caretaker now has a name, and "Gracey Manor" is once again official...
    I still like the name "Horace Fusslebuttom" from the comics.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Even leaving anachronisms aside, I don't think the caretaker we see is the caretaker of the house. He's in charge of the public cemetery.

If this Crump feller is indeed supposed to be someone we see or hear in the house, my money's on the Ghost Host/Hatchet Man.
    I was thinking this too.

• Inhospitable about happy

Something you didn't know about the HM!

Here's the ticket booth that used to be out in front of the HM, down toward the river:

And here are Sam McKim's drawings of his concept for the HM, from the late 50's. Notice the ticket booth next to the entrance gate.

So what? Well, they used to have ticket booths like that right in the queues for attractions, both to collect tickets and to sell them. The one in the chateau for the bobsleds is still there (locked up), as is the mushroom ticket booth at Alice in Wonderland, with its window long since walled up. You can find old photos showing the ticket booth in the middle of the line for Snow White, etc.

Later, they put them further away, like that Frontierland booth, and only sold tickets from them. They only had ticket collectors at the rides.

Well, in 1961-2, they were still doing it the old way, and so on the very oldest blueprints for the HM—the one they actually built—they've got a ticket booth parked right alongside the entrance gate:

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Some more microtrivia. Everybody knows that the above sign was put up outside the HM in 1963. Marty Sklar wrote the copy, and he is always telling people it went up in 1963. This is explictly found in Surrell's book twice, and it's implied at Doombuggies.com in its history section. I've seen it elsewhere too.

Well, bunk. No matter what Marty or anyone else tells you, it went up in February of 1965. The copy refers to the "Museum of the Supernatural," another name for the Museum of the Weird, and Walt himself came up with that concept in a famous episode that took place one day in the fall of 1964. But more conclusively, I recently saw a blueprint for the sign, and it's clearly dated 1-28-65. It's called a "new sign" on the print, too.

• Minion

Hmm. A new mystery on the Disney Parks blog. Could this be Mansion-related?

Name:  por111512SMALL.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  86.1 KB

Anyone else think this looks like Tony Baxter?

Pretty sure it's for Thunder Mountain.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Anyone else think this looks like Tony Baxter?
    It looks like Donald Sutherland.

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    It looks like Donald Sutherland.
    Oh my goodness, YES! Just give his upper lip a slight curl of disdain, and voila!

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."
    - A.A. Milne

"I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

My first thought was, "Looks like Tony Baxter," and only then did I scroll down enough to see GG's comment, so there you have two identical instant reactions. The "obsession with gold" thing points to Thunder Mountain (Smelly's right, IMO). Maybe they're going to go full-tilt Thunder Mesa. If it IS tied to Thunder Mountain, then the resemblance to Tony would be something of an inside joke, since that was his baby.

• AKA - DisneyChris

Odd that that Ticket Booth says "Frontierland Central Ticket Booth" when it is right in the Middle of New Orleans Square - I guess it is meant to cover Frontierland Bear Country and New Orleans Square. But didn't they have ticket booths in those other lands too? I remember one near the Mark Twain dock, and I have seen pictures of the Bear Country one floating around the web.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

The other day, Daveland posted a series of photos taken at the HM in December 1969. This was one of them:

The table area and all that in this photo reveals nothing new. There are oodles of early photos of Leota, some dating from before opening day, for postcards, slides, publicity, etc.; and there is the stock film footage as well. So why did this photo fascinate me?

It's the tambourine. In all of the early photography, you never see anything in the air. You see them in concept artwork and in models, but never the real thing. I'm thinking, but offhand, I'm not aware of a single photo that shows the actual floating objects before 1990. The tambourine in this photo makes it unique.

I hate to start rumors, but look at the way his eyebrow is raised. Reminds me of the HBG.
    The fact that it's a painting and the attic has paintings of former husbands, it makes the whole mystery even more interesting.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I hate to start rumors, but look at the way his eyebrow is raised. Reminds me of the HBG.
    The fact that it's a painting and the attic has paintings of former husbands, it makes the whole mystery even more interesting.
    Doubt it, Otherwise Connie would appear in the painting.

Besides...wrong eyebrow.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I haven't been on this site for a while and just found a blog entry that I think will be of interest to LFHM enthusiasts. Forgive me if this has been discussed already. The link is:

Davelandblog: Vintage Haunted Mansion Tour

---------- Post added 11-17-2012 at 12:20 AM ----------

Who's the artist that painted the Tony Baxter portrait? It's quite flattering.

---------- Post added 11-17-2012 at 12:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Good point, and it just shows once again how dumb PLQ is. He's the old caretaker of this house, is he? And (now) they've got a bunch of crypts bearing testimony to long standing and ongoing ghostly activities like haunted organs and deceased but talkative poets, and yet when we see him, it's clear by his expression that he's never seen anything like this ghostly jamboree.
    They're clueless, I tell you. Utterly CLUELESS.

---------- Post added 11-17-2012 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    I found this intriguing video the other day, described by its uploader as "Storyboards for new Haunted Mansion film." It shows how a sequence set in the ballroom would play out, accompanied by the music of Vivaldi. Not sure if it's the real deal or not (if it is, whoever put it online could get in a lot of trouble), but you never know.
    That doesn't look like any storyboard I've ever seen.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM