Page 419 of 559 FirstFirst ... 319369409416417418419420421422429469519 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,285 of 8381

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

It gets good at 7 min. 34 sec. I tried to cue it but MiceChat disregards the time extension on the link.

• How's My Playing, Hattie?

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I just want to put this out there because this is the best place.

I want to start collecting paperwork from the making of HM. Like early scripts and logs of audio takes. If you have any scans of this kind of stuff, please PM me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I especially want to find a high-quality scan of the paper that says "'Bloodmere' is the name of this house."
    Last edited by PianoGhost; 11-17-2012 at 04:14 AM.
    How many times can you listen to Baroque Hoedown until you completely lose it?

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    That doesn't look like any storyboard I've ever seen.
    The two-DVD Collector's Edition of The Incredibles has videos of storyboards of unused scenes, and they look exactly like this HM thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PianoGhost View Post
    I just want to put this out there because this is the best place.

I want to start collecting paperwork from the making of HM. Like early scripts and logs of audio takes. If you have any scans of this kind of stuff, please PM me. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I especially want to find a high-quality scan of the paper that says "'Bloodmere' is the name of this house."
    If you're quick with your pause button, there are a lot of documents to be screen-grabbed in this D23 video that we all were looking at earlier.

D23 Presents Armchair Archivist: Tales from the Haunted Mansion - YouTube
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• How's My Playing, Hattie?

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    If you're quick with your pause button, there are a lot of documents to be screen-grabbed in this D23 video that we all were looking at earlier.

D23 Presents Armchair Archivist: Tales from the Haunted Mansion - YouTube

Where do you think I found out about it?

I know they're there, but they don't show the full page. I want to get the entire page in a legible state.

Also, any information that is known about the numbers for the audio recording sessions would be helpful. I want to know why it's "KU6688" and not "Take 1".
    Last edited by PianoGhost; 11-17-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    How many times can you listen to Baroque Hoedown until you completely lose it?

[Edit: I'm having second thoughts about this possibility...See post down below]

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Threadsters, and I've got a holiday treat.

One question that has hung out there since forever is whether there were ever any plans for guests to go across the back of the HM, from one side to the other. The general opinion seemed to be that no, that was never in any plans. Too narrow. This artwork on the souvenir park maps was puzzling, and it has generally been dismissed as bizarre and inaccurate.

APPARENTLY NOT!

That 1962 blueprint I referred to earlier, the one showing a ticket booth by the front gate, also indicates for the first time where the original queue was expected to go.

There was a narrower walkway (8') that diverted from the wider main walkway to an additional queue area on the south side, apparently for busy days. It hooked around onto the south porch and up into a brick paved area, where undoubtedly there would be switchbacks, and it eventually made its way along the south porch and turned onto the front porch. Some of this is still the same today, of course. But if I'm reading this blueprint right, it looks like a single loop might go around the back of the house and along the northern face!

I've incorporated this and other information from that blueprint into a radically revised version of the "Lost Graveyard" post at the blog (Feb 2012).
    Last edited by HBG2; 11-23-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: disclaimer

• We Go On.

Interesting about that blueprint! It makes me wonder: Is the long-forgotten north pet cemetery a leftover from when the plans called for queue on that side?

Well, that pet cemetery came along much, much later, supposedly to give wheelchaired guests something to look at over there when they used to enter on that side. I've never seen any evidence of the pet cemetery idea in the early days.

I'm having some second thoughts about that queue strip, however. I've been doing some measurements on the blueprint, and it would have been about five feet wide, allowing just a 30" width for the guest queue in each direction. Under such tight conditions, why would they retain that strip planter there, which takes up two feet? The space is still there today, with strip planter and everything, except that they put in that access lean-to for a staircase, and that of course would have ended any possible plans for guest queues. They took out a section of strip planter in the plans so as to allow access around that lean-to.

Does anyone know what the absolute minimum is for a queue line? in 1962? (skinnier people then, remember)
    Last edited by HBG2; 11-23-2012 at 03:49 PM.

• Mr. Ghost

My guess is three feet.
    (that is based on sidewalks, but here are guidelines for sidewalks in from the Federal Highway Administration)
    Last edited by Mr.Fenwright; 11-23-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: new information

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Well, that pet cemetery came along much, much later, supposedly to give wheelchaired guests something to look at over there when they used to enter on that side. I've never seen any evidence of the pet cemetery idea in the early days.
    Was it just landscaped prior to the construction of the pet cemetery?

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Was it just landscaped prior to the construction of the pet cemetery?
    The area has always been carefully landscaped. The cypress trees have always been there. I don't know exactly what was in that particular spot when they put in the pet cemetery. My guess would be that there was just lawn there, and they plopped the animal markers on it, because it wasn't a major project, just a quick thing to give the place some visual interest for wheelchaired guests, and besides, the large sarcophagus slab that has always been there (part of the roof for the escalator) looks best in a lawn, I think.

A couple of pix from 1965:

From 1966:

Basically, they show that it's always been carefully landscaped.

• We Go On.

Do you think it's possible that when they scrapped the idea of the wrap-around queue, it was late enough in the planning that they didn't bother to fill in the gaps?

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Do you think it's possible that when they scrapped the idea of the wrap-around queue, it was late enough in the planning that they didn't bother to fill in the gaps?
    Not sure exactly what you mean, but on that very early bprint they have large areas just marked "planting," including the future pet cemetery site. I imagine they just turned it over to the grounds and landscaping guys and didn't worry a lot about those areas. Any kind of well-kept gardening would be pleasant viewing for the queue.

If you're a fan of the Cabaret du Néant (and if you're not, why not?), then this is a. . .

MAJOR DISCOVERY

Fellow Threadsters, the Cabaret was STILL OPEN
    when the Haunted Mansion opened in 1969.

• Mr. Ghost

Speaking of the Cabaret du Neant, earlier this month I ran across a post on the Cafe from Hell or Le Cafe de L'Enfare on Tumblr.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    Speaking of the Cabaret du Neant, earlier this month I ran across a post on the Cafe from Hell or Le Cafe de L'Enfare on Tumblr.
    Wow! That looks incredible, I'd love to see something like that built now.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM