Page 420 of 638 FirstFirst ... 320370395410417418419420421422423430445470520 ... LastLast
Results 6,286 to 6,300 of 9564

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

New post up at LF. It was an idea I had been considering for a long time but thought would make a weak post. I finally did it just to have it in the can in case there was a slow period and I didn't have anything better. But it turned out much better than I expected, and I'm really glad I did it.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• We Go On.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Nice posts, HBG2. I'm a huge Ken Anderson fan, so I love everything that has to do with his walk-through.

In other news, I found this nice video from Tokyo's HM (nevermind the fact that they call it "Haunted House"). Look for Purply Shroud at 9:50. Also great footage of beating-heart bride at 11:09.

• Minion

Just back from WDW. I think they may have jiggered with the Constance projection; she looks a little bit less hinky. Maybe I've just gotten used to her.

• We Go On.

I thought the WDW Connie was always pretty nicely aligned, it's Disneyland's that I think is all wonky.

Sneak preview of a graphic from the post for February. It came out really pretty. It's a photoshopped image combining two photographs, plus a little help to make it look like it did in 1969. (It's the emergency exit in the exit crypt complex at DL.)

This isn't quite a SUPERPOST, so instead we'll call it a...

PRETTYGOODPOST

Rolly Crump's autobiography is now out, as many of you know (It's Kind of a Cute Story), and I figured y'all would like to see any HM related artwork in there not seen before, in case you weren't going to buy the book.

There is a Museum of the Weird sketch that I don't thing has been previously published:

This clears up a long-standing mystery; namely, identifying that tall, brown item on his desk when he's showing off maquettes of the MotW during the 1965 tencennial program. Now we know:

Another item of interest in the book is the famous demon-eye wallpaper. At Doombuggies.com, at first it was attributed to Marc Davis. Then this was corrected to give Rolly credit for the design. Then, it seems that Claude Coats was also involved. Most of us (all of us?) have been giving Rolly more-or-less full credit for the design for a long time now.

But in the new book Rolly seems to give Claude quite a lot of the credit. "There were also man-eating plants in there [i.e. his concept of the HM]. Claude Coats took the man-eating plant design, and used it as the basis for that famous wallpaper in the Haunted Mansion." Later: "And like I said, even that infamous wallpaper, with the eyes that look at you, is eerily similar to drawings of a man-eating plant I did."

In the book, this drawing is identified as the one that inspired Coats:

If you compare it carefully with the demon-eye wallpaper, in my opinion you will find very little in common beyond the general tenor of the piece:

At least to my eye, the closest visual correlation would be between the claw-like branches of Rolly's plant and certain parts of the wallpaper design. That isn't very much. If this sketch really does represent the total sum of Rolly's contribution, then in my opinion the lion's share of credit should go to Claude Coats. There's little if anything there that he actually copied.

But here's a caution. Rolly mentions "drawings" in the plural, so it's at least possible that there are other Crump sketches out there of man-eating plants that bear a closer resemblance to the wallpaper design.

1981 photo from Gorillas Don't Blog:

• We Go On.

Is that Ezra in a mirror? It's so dark I can hardly tell.

Definitely Ezra, and a good pic.

The pot from the man-eating wreath reminds me of the "Helping Hands" from Henson's "Labyrinth."

Name:  h5W2Ts.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  4.1 KB
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Definitely Ezra, and a good pic.
    Brightened considerably. I will, of course, remove the picture if the original owner objects to the manipulation.

Name:  3-81-HitchhikingGhost_detail.png
Views: 508
Size:  142.9 KB

Howdy there~ :]

After some time lurking on these forums, I've finally come around to making an account.

Long story short; I'm a big Disney geek(as my username obviously says, hah) and I'm a big fan of the Haunted Mansion attraction.

It's really great to have found so many others with the same passion and love for the attraction!

• Yoiks!

Welcome to the tread! You are very welcome here (even if it is a little quiet!)

To everyone else, I hope your Christmas and other celebrations were great and have a Happy New Year!!!

Thank you for the welcome Kreepy Karl!

I have a question as well for everyone here. Hopefully it'll bring for some more discussion on here.

What are everybody's opinions on the ghost host? What are you ideas on who he might be??

• We Go On.

I'm pretty certain the Ghost Host is just meant to be a ghosty host. In the past people have suggested Master Gracy, but that's sort of been disproved. I don't really know the specifics, but I think old artwork and scripts in addition to the Story and Song of the Haunted Mansion album pretty much rule it out. I'm sure one of our resident thread-heads will have much more to say on that.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM