Page 421 of 618 FirstFirst ... 321371396411418419420421422423424431446471521 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,315 of 9268

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Its simple, he's my boyfriend nah jk, i have personal opinions on who he is, he's the phantom of the manor IMO

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Is it for sure that the hanging man in the stretching room is the ghost host?

I also remember hearing this guy was supposedly the ghost host?

Name:  wdwhatchetman3.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  59.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The disembodied voice in the stretch room intones "There's always my way!" right before the hanging corpse reveal, which insinuates pretty strongly he's referring to the body as his as result of suicide (being trapped inside the chamber with no doors, that's his way out) and that he maybe potentially lived in the Mansion, unlike ghosts such as Caesar at the birthday party or the mummy or the various musicians you see later. The axe-and-noose combo in that painting definitely tie it in with the hanging body, plus the clothes match.

But I think that's it: the painting was done specifically as a nod to the character narrating the ride. Whether or not he owns/owned the house while alive is up for debate and there is no strong evidence that he did in the show narration in final format, only that he either lived or visited there/was physically present in order to die there.

Also, welcome to the thread!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by disneydisneygeek View Post
    Is it for sure that the hanging man in the stretching room is the ghost host?

I also remember hearing this guy was supposedly the ghost host?

Name:  wdwhatchetman3.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  59.0 KB
    This guy sure doesn't look as awesome as the Ghost Host-Paul Frees sounds! Just can't imagine that amazing voice coming from this dude; I don't know, I've just never been a fan of this painting...

Whether or not this is the Ghost Host has been debated for years. I remember when this thread (or one of the previous threads) got quite a few pages added to it because people were trying to figure this out. It's just one of those mysteries of the mansion. People have different opinions on it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• I am not a Krusty Krab

I like what Regions beyond said. its eerie to think about

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Whether or not this is the Ghost Host has been debated for years. I remember when this thread (or one of the previous threads) got quite a few pages added to it because people were trying to figure this out. It's just one of those mysteries of the mansion. People have different opinions on it.
    Not really a mystery or debate anymore, IMO.
    I've seen the concept sketch by Marc Davis where the character is labeled as the Ghost Host. The hanged skeleton is dressed in the same clothes as the character in the portrait, albeit a bit faded. Even the hair matches.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond
    which insinuates pretty strongly he's referring to the body as his as result of suicide (being trapped inside the chamber with no doors, that's his way out)
    I don't think he committed suicide due to being trapped in the stretching gallery. The cupola has windows.

• Minion

It was my impression that most believed him to be the head butler. He is wearing a butler's uniform.

Many erroneously equate Master Gracey with the Ghost Host, mainly due to the original layout of the family plot outside the WDW Mansion. They would see the Master Gracey stone featured prominently just before going into the Foyer. Then they see the changing portrait also displayed prominently in the Foyer and make the assumption that's Master Gracey. When the disembodied voice begins speaking, they continue to make the assumption that's the Master of the House speaking to them, even though there is no direct connection between the three characters.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 12-28-2012 at 02:40 AM.

I don't know if we've talked about this one:
    Is the Ghost Hostess (AKA "Little Leota") a younger version of Madame Leota?

Yes, because...
    *Same face!
    *Although her version wasn't used, Eleanor Audley also recorded the "hurry back" lines.
    *Another ghost, Constance, appears as a young woman despite dying at an old age.

No, because...
    *Different voice.
    *One is a fortune teller and the other is a "lady in white" type ghost.

?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    It was my impression that most believed him to be the head butler. He is wearing a butler's uniform.
    Press material from 1969 says the Ghost Host's role is the majordomo (head butler) of the mansion's staff.

Lovely new photos. Thank you. i really like these photos and all photos are brilliant work

• Inhospitable about happy

Smelly's right that he's called a "majordomo" in an early 1969 press release, but even though that can easily mean "head butler," it doesn't necessarily mean that. "Majordomo" is used more widely. He's basically "the guy left in charge." In the press release, it says the GH is majordomo over the "skeleton staff" running the place, so "head butler" would certainly be a natural assumption.

In looking through those older newspaper clippings based on Disney press releases, I did notice something I hadn't noticed before: the answer to the question, "What is a doombuggy?" That's always been a point of controversy. Opinion is split between "it's something" and "it's nothing." I side with Nothing in an old post at my blog, arguing that the doombuggy is a mysterious compulsive force that makes you walk in the direction you walk, but otherwise it's something you're supposed to ignore, like a marionette's strings. Others argue that it's Something, an actual carriage (or coffin, or chair), in which you ride. Smelly has always held that it's a wheelless carriage provided by the ghosts.

Well, in an early press release, we are told that the Mansion is going to supply "perpetual levitation for moving guests through the haunted halls." So I was wrong in that you're not walking after all but being carried, but the carriage theory is wrong too, since you can only be "levitating" if there's nothing visible holding you up. "Perpetual levitation" appears to be the earliest official explanation for what a doombuggy is, and I'm not aware of any other explanation that falls within the imaginative world of the ride, as opposed to concessions to the real-world necessities of operating a safe dark ride (safety spiels and all that kind of thing). You suddenly find yourself floating, held up and carried by some unseen force.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Inhospitable about happy

So how many tens of thousands of posts is that, and we're still learning new things?
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    Smelly's right that he's called a "majordomo" in an early 1969 press release, but even though that can easily mean "head butler," it doesn't necessarily mean that.
    True.
    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    "Perpetual levitation" appears to be the earliest official explanation for what a doombuggy is, and I'm not aware of any other explanation that falls within the imaginative world of the ride, as opposed to concessions to the real-world necessities of operating a safe dark ride (safety spiels and all that kind of thing).
    To me, that doesn't contradict the doombuggies being actual physical carriages. The "perpetual levitation system" is what moves them. Maybe there's a carriage house behind the mansion with a large quantity of old carriages, which are now being used for HM tours.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM