Page 422 of 633 FirstFirst ... 322372397412419420421422423424425432447472522 ... LastLast
Results 6,316 to 6,330 of 9493

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

In the changing portrait hallway, the ghost host states "And now a carriage approaches, to take you into the boundless realm of the supernatural..." So it is right to describe a doombuggy as a carriage.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    To me, that doesn't contradict the doombuggies being actual physical carriages. The "perpetual levitation system" is what moves them. Maybe there's a carriage house behind the mansion with a large quantity of old carriages, which are now being used for HM tours.
    I suppose it's possible to imagine wheelless carriages suspended above ground like a Star Wars speeder, with no visible means of support, and hence "perpetually levitated," but in that case I would expect some sort of reference to carriages in the description. "Perpetual levitation for moving guests through the haunted halls and chambers" is the last item on a list of supernatural items "being installed," which I suppose is intended whimsically: The Disney artisans are putting impossible wonders in place even as we speak; that sort of thing, playing off the Disney reputation for doing the magical and the incredible on a routine basis. To my ear, "perpetual levitation for moving guests through the halls" sounds like a reference to the whole package, as opposed to, say, "levitating carriages for moving guests through the halls," which is more what I would expect if in fact carriages they are.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    In the changing portrait hallway, the ghost host states "And now a carriage approaches, to take you into the boundless realm of the supernatural..." So it is right to describe a doombuggy as a carriage.
    Except there is no choice but to say something like that. He has to tell you to get paired up and ready to board a conveyance, since nothing up to that point would lead you to suspect you were going to ride anything. What else could he call them? "Vehicles"? "Conveyances"? "Cars"? "Carriages" is about as neutral a term as one can imagine, under the circumstances. I put those instructions in with "safety bars" and "no flash pictures, please" and other things you wouldn't find in a real haunted house. Even if Marc Davis marched up to us and said, "The doombuggies are NOT 'real'; you're supposed to pretend they aren't there," the GH spiel would still have to have instructions about the omnimovers, and it would still have to call them something recognizable. I screen them out as necessary concessions to the reality of creating an experience like this in the real world.

I've always ignored the doombuggies when I rode the mansion. In my opinion they're paranormal forces that take you around the mansion. I've just finished a drawing on the computer (I should warn you, it's no Picasso) that represents my ideaName:  doom.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  25.5 KB
    Last edited by Hatbox999; 12-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Except there is no choice but to say something like that. He has to tell you to get paired up and ready to board a conveyance, since nothing up to that point would lead you to suspect you were going to ride anything. What else could he call them? "Vehicles"? "Conveyances"? "Cars"? "Carriages" is about as neutral a term as one can imagine, under the circumstances. I put those instructions in with "safety bars" and "no flash pictures, please" and other things you wouldn't find in a real haunted house. Even if Marc Davis marched up to us and said, "The doombuggies are NOT 'real'; you're supposed to pretend they aren't there," the GH spiel would still have to have instructions about the omnimovers, and it would still have to call them something recognizable. I screen them out as necessary concessions to the reality of creating an experience like this in the real world.
    I for one perceive the preboarding spiel as if it is really a part of the experience, so when he says it is a carriage I believe that he literally means carriage, and I'm sure others do as well. However, it really boils down to one's perception of the ride, which is what this ride is truly famous at creating - allowing one to perceive the ride in his/her own way without following a linear storyline.

Even the references to safety bars? The prohibition against flash photography?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Even the references to safety bars? The prohibition against flash photography?
    He connects each of those to the theme of the attraction. For example, for
    the flash photography he explains that "we spirits are sensitive to bright lights." He tells the guest to not lower the safety bar because "I will lower it for you." Both emphasize that you are in a place where there are ghosts everywhere.

Here's another small question. The WDW Haunted Mansion has 4 extra rooms(?) I believe it's The Library, the music room and the endless stairway along with the dark room with the glowing eyes. (Did I get that right? hah.) Has it ever been thought of or is it even possible to expand the HM to add these rooms in Disneyland CA?

• Minion

I would like to see the staircase scene to come in at the part when you board your doombuggy and ascend the staircase

• Minion

I suppose a "carriage" is anything that carries you.

I for one perceive the preboarding spiel as if it is really a part of the experience, so when he says it is a carriage I believe that he literally means carriage, and I'm sure others do as well. However, it really boils down to one's perception of the ride, which is what this ride is truly famous at creating - allowing one to perceive the ride in his/her own way without following a linear storyline.
    I agree. and really dislike when they start adding all these back stories to this ride and others. i always liked the "what the???" feeling I got when riding this and Pirates. Jack Sparrow and Connie can go run off together as far as I'm concerned!

He connects each of those to the theme of the attraction. For example, for
    the flash photography he explains that "we spirits are sensitive to bright lights." He tells the guest to not lower the safety bar because "I will lower it for you." Both emphasize that you are in a place where there are ghosts everywhere.

all good points. where it loses me though is when the Spanish narration kicks in; it really snaps me back to reality for a second there unfortunately

is it a 2nd Ghost Host? or is it supposed to be the same one now speaking Spanish? and why just Spanish? why not Japanese too? or _______ ?

what year did they start that anyway?
    Last edited by skoolpsyk; 12-28-2012 at 09:38 PM.

• We Go On.

Forgive me, but in the spirit of discussing this part of the attraction, I can't help but bring up a post of mine from a while ago:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5227/...9f6d4e3e_b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Myself, WDITrent, from a while back
    I have a concept for the Disneyland "Limbo" load area that doesn't include endless staircases. Not that I don't like the staircases. In fact, the ascension to the CoD is practically perfect for that scene. But I wanted to keep the integrity of the scene being a black expanse. The iron arches start at the beginning of the load ramp and end at the top of the staircase. Crump-like chandeliers in five different designs move along a track above the doombuggies at the same speed of the ride, and dim to black by the top of the staircase, where they circle around the back side of the load area, unseen, to rejoin the doombuggies at the curved staircase on north side of limbo.
    To which TheHatboxGhost replied:
    I am LOVING this but there is one problem: it looks "outdoors." Visitors wouldn't walk from an interior portrait gallery to outside, board a ride vehicle and then be carried up an interior staircase. That's the way it would be at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion.
    To which I now reply: Wasn't the "Boundless realm" of Limbo supposed to be sort of ambiguously outdoors/indoors like in the old Ken Anderson Claude Coats (whoops) rendering?
    Last edited by WDITrent; 12-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Forgive me, but in the spirit of discussing this part of the attraction, I can't help but bring up a post of mine from a while ago:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5227/...9f6d4e3e_b.jpg

To which TheHatboxGhost replied:

To which I now reply: Wasn't the "Boundless realm" of Limbo supposed to be sort of ambiguously outdoors/indoors like in the old Ken Anderson rendering?
    Actually, you mean Claude Coats. And I always thought your concept looked good.

First choice: black velvet on walls and ceiling so the place is genuinely black all around. As for illumination at floor level, see how far you can push it down before OSHA squeals. Maybe have a glowing pathway instead of lights shining.

Second choice: Something like WDITrent's concept, blurring inside/outside a la Coats

Third choice: Combination library and endless stairways a la WDW, but on a smaller scale.

• I'm a Lutheran

I wouldn't mind seeing the Grand Staircase from Phantom Manor...however, it'd be more so interesting to see it luxurious in what dim light is provided then turn decrepit, wooden, filthy, and green-glowing with every flash of lightning. Another idea'd be something along the lines of Trent's or that old Claude Coats rendering. ANOTHER idea'd be lowering the lights to cover the ceiling tiles, hide the walls and floor (not the carpet, the floor where the HMH mural is), and put in an HD surround sound system that ever-so-often utter the famous Corridor of Doors screams in addition to some brand-new ones, maybe with the occasional blur of a spirit going by.

A smaller library/staircase'd be cool as well. Much would have to be done with it though, judging by the fact that there're already two following-movement busts in the preceding corridor. What I'd REALLY like to see is Phantom Manor's Staircase. But...this thing'd be much different. It'd be lit dimly green with the window overlooking a barren storm-ridden landscape. The stairs feature hole-ridden carpeting and disembodied footsteps trotting along. A couple of Florida's Sinister 11 members (they can be new copies, not stolen from WDW) can reside on the wall opposite the buggy train along with a creepy-faced chair and the book with the never-ending page turn, just out of guests' reach. There'd be a lot of greatness here if done well. All of the stairs, stair-railing and everything'd be all rotten, wooden, and seeming to have been eaten alive by termites at some point. Then the occasional Corridor of Doors scream and shriek from hidden speakers'd just add on to the excitement.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• We Go On.

Hmmm...I'm starting to like that idea, MANEATINGWREATH. Provided there would be Crump-tastic wood carvings galore.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM