Page 424 of 597 FirstFirst ... 324374399414421422423424425426427434449474524 ... LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 8941

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Hatbox999 View Post
    Let me create a new discussion, fellow fans, what's your favorite scene. Personally, mine is the grand hall.
    I have always been fascinated by the Attic Scene in all it's various incarnations. I can't really explain why, though.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Hatbox999 View Post
    Let me create a new discussion, fellow fans, what's your favorite scene. Personally, mine is the grand hall.
    Mine was always the Seance - prior to the floating Leota. For years, I was fascinated trying to figure out how it was accomplished. Next choice was the Ballroom: trying to figure out how that was accomplished, and I adore the organ music from that scene.

• Inhospitable about happy

I like the COD for terror and the Ballroom for spectacle. The Ballroom's got so much going for it: a classic magic trick on a previously unheard-of scale and a perfect blending of input from all the main Imagineers. There's something in there you can point to and attribute directly to each one of them (except for X). Lots of detail, great soundtrack. The Pepper's Ghost effect really does give you a perfect ghost look.

There are times, though, when I go with the Changing Portrait hall at DL, because you can be absolutely alone in there if you work the crowd right, and that's an unbeatable experience.

The Graveyard is great, but it's not as original as the rest of the house. Somewhere I call it "Pirates of the Caribbean with dead guys."
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I like the COD for terror and the Ballroom for spectacle. The Ballroom's got so much going for it:
    The Ballroom is definitely the ne plus ultra of the Mansion, almost too ultra since I'm invariably frustrated that the viewing time is so short (about 30 seconds) for everything going on. Only once did the ride stop at that point for me, for about five minutes, and that even seemed too short. For some reason the ride seemed to break down when I was in front of Connie a lot, one time for about 15 minutes (I was close enough to the attic exit to notice that GGG and the ghost pianist's wedding march changed keys harmoniously from verse to verse throughout their durations).

That said, I'd still pick the Corridor of Doors since in the Ballroom I'm an observer whereas in the CoD I feel like a (nervous) participant.

There are times, though, when I go with the Changing Portrait hall at DL, because you can be absolutely alone in there if you work the crowd right, and that's an unbeatable experience.
    It's likely to happen if you want to study details in there you've recently read about on a certain blog but you'd be surprised (literally) by how often CMs use the side doors in there. Also, at night when only one stretch room is in use the other is often parked at the bottom with its doors open and lights on, diminishing the effect somewhat.

A brief interruption, if you please. This is a souvenir from our favorite French cabaret that I've never seen before.

Okay, back to topic.

• Minion

My favorite scene is the ballroom because it looks so stunning, and you can believe that you are in a room with ghosts.

• hatbox ghost believer

At DL: the attic is my most favorite "scene" in the "normal" attraction (although I prefer the original bride the most) followed closely by the stretching room. During "Haunted Mansion Holiday", I adore the grand hall scene the most.
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• We Go On.

Portrait Hall, Corridor of Doors, and the Attic for me. For WDW, I love everything from the load area through the Corridor of Doors, and I prefer their graveyard. But not their Hitchhiking Ghosts.

For some reason, there's something reassuring about things like this. There's a piece of bric-a-brac that's been on the same table since before the DL HM even opened. That's a pre-opening publicity shot on the right, a recent photo on the left.

For some reason, there's something reassuring about things like this. There's a piece of bric-a-brac that's been on the same table since before the DL HM even opened. That's a pre-opening publicity shot on the right, a recent photo on the left.

Wow, thats seems pretty amazing, considering something that small could have easily been rotated out for some other little thing, or done away with all together.

Very cool!

• Minion

I've been thinking about this "favorite scene" thing for a while now. So hard to choose!

There's the stretching room, which is where time and space fist start to get messed up. And the sheer audacity of a Pepper's Ghost the size of the ballroom!

But I think I have to go with the graveyard jamboree. That's where all the tension - artistic, musical, and dramatic - that's been building up since you got in line finally released and washes over you with ghoulish delight.

• I'm a Lutheran

That object near the organist...it has been moved over the years...by ghosts. See it's little things like that! Little things like that can tell a story in a thousand words. And that's just something that's been moved around in refurbishments since 1969! In my mind I'm thinking that a prankish spirit moved it, even though I actually know it was a human culprit. That's incredible. Kudos for an unintentional mind-puzzler, Imagineers.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Is the vase in the center of the table still the original one? Can't really tell from the "modern-day" photo if it's the same one.

I've recently picked up a minor obsession with the technical side of the HM, and at the moment I'm trying to learn all I can about the blast-up ghosts, which I understand is a popular subject around here. Based on what I've found so far (for which these threads have been invaluable), I've got a couple of questions I wanted to run past the experts around here:

1. It looks like there has been more than one design for the blast-up mechanism used in the parks. Particularly, compare this image from Daveland:

a. Name:  blastupHM_Shrieker.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  29.3 KB

and this image posted at one point by HBG2:

b. Name:  secret_blast4.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  5.9 KB

to this image also posted by HBG2:

c. Name:  andersonblastiesandreal_edit.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  13.6 KB

and the blast-up ghost blueprint, also posted by HBG2 (where is this from, by the way? I can't find it in any of the blueprints I've been able to get my hands on):

d. Name:  schematic.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  62.7 KB

The latter two images show two clearly visible wire guides on the sides of the head, and the wig on the head of the prop shown in picture c seems like it's exactly covering where the blueprint shows a mounting strip running over the top of the head. The first two images, however, seem to show the wires going to guides mounted significantly farther back and inboard on the head, such that the guides aren't visible (red circles in the images below), as well as a lack of a visible mounting strip. Additionally, where the blueprints seem to suggest a simple cup underneath the head to receive the air jet nozzle, these heads seem to have some kind of post projecting from the bottom of the skull (blue circles in the images below). Although it's clearly not in use at the time, so it may have simply been removed, the green head in picture c doesn't seem to have such a post either. Though I can't find the picture now, I feel reasonably confident that I've seen a picture of a wig-headed blast-up in use in-ride (other than HBG2's photoshop recreation). That suggests that the blueprint-style mounting was used at some point. All the videos I've seen of the remaining blast-up in the DL graveyard look like the style in the first two pictures. Images with highlights for comparison:

Name:  blastupHM_Shrieker_edit.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  secret_blast4_edit.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  12.1 KB

Was there more than one generation of blast-up technology? If so, why the change-over to the post? Making the wire guides less visible obviously improves the illusion, but adding the post seems to have the opposite effect. Or am I mistaken here, and it's all just a trick of the camera angles?

2. In my travels, I came across this auction (not currently active, as far as I can tell) for prop heads that the seller suggests, but does not explicitly claim, came from the HM:

DISNEYLAND HAUNTED MANSION VINTAGE 60's BLUE GHOST CREATURE FACE HEAD HORROR PROP
    DISNEYLAND HAUNTED MANSION VINTAGE 60's 70's DARK GREEN GHOST CREATURE FACE HEAD HORROR PROP
    DISNEYLAND HAUNTED MANSION VINTAGE LIGHT GREEN GHOST CREATURE FACE HEAD HORROR PROP

Now, they're clearly not the organ banshee faces we know, but they are very similar in idea, and they seemed suggestive of the "wrinkled" faces GRD999 said were at one point used on the blast-up mounts (Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?, #167). Those threaded rods at the top could be mounting points for the wire guide assembly (though the blueprint above seems to indicate only one such point, not two). So: fakes, fan/competitor replicas, or real?

• Mr. Ghost

Speaking of the attic, I ran across this post from Seize The Future on tumblr.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM