Page 44 of 606 FirstFirst ... 193441424344454647546994144544 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    The best I have is this:

Note the very large speaker on the floor to the right. Only about five (four?) years ago, they fixed that so the load area spiel would play from there (seemingly coming from the chair) which apparently was there originally and then stopped working (so I'm told). They had just put that back about a year or so before the big refurb took it away again.

[Never did like that 1970s version of a hurricane lamp. The real ones never looked like that.]

• Death Certificate on hand

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    I was about 6 when it happened. (I'm 26 now)

It took a good while to even get back onto the ride (try 2005) , but I'm such a sucker for horror, and ghost stories that I couldn't stay away forever. Plus learning about it made it... less intimidating.
    I was also 6 on my first ride [probably July, August or September 1969]. The screaming pop-ups scared me so much that I covered my eyes through the attic for the next few years. Hattie could have been dancing a hornpipe in his spot and I would never have known. But I never missed riding through the Mansion on any trip to DL [my dad worked at TRW and got the night party tix once or twice a year].So even though the attic scared me, I loved the rest of the HM too much to miss it. I think I had my eyes uncovered by 1975.
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRose View Post
    I was also 6 on my first ride [probably July, August or September 1969]. The screaming pop-ups scared me so much that I covered my eyes through the attic for the next few years. Hattie could have been dancing a hornpipe in his spot and I would never have known. But I never missed riding through the Mansion on any trip to DL [my dad worked at TRW and got the night party tix once or twice a year].So even though the attic scared me, I loved the rest of the HM too much to miss it. I think I had my eyes uncovered by 1975.
    I think until my junior year of high school we only went back one more time, and I refused to get on. Junior year it was closed the two days we were there (I think, I remember my sister being so upset about not being able to ride), and it was closed on Grad Night, so yeah, '05 was when I forced myself on.

But I am so glad to be able to ride it and enjoy it.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    WHAT???

When did this happen?

Are you talking about at Disneyland, Walt Disney World or both?
    As it happens, this is the topic of my latest blog.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    As it happens, this is the topic of my latest blog.
    *Gasps, followed by bursts of laughter*

I finally understand my tombstone!

Trivia question, something that came up while researching that blog post.

Something is wrong with this tombstone. What?

• Minion

Well, its not dated, RIP is over two lines, surely its "In Memory", the unreadable caption, thats not a parody of an imagineer or a member of the Mansion, it was removed after a HMH overlay?

Purely guesses on my part.

• =)

It's supposed to be IN MEMORIAM, not IN MEMORIUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    It's supposed to be IN MEMORIAM, not IN MEMORIUM.
    Ding ding ding.

The misspelling is very common, but it's still a misspelling.

• Minion

Seriously? It's an "a", not a "u"? I don't think I've ever seen it spelled with an "a".
    Hmpf. Learn something new every day.

• =)

I think I learned that in one of the precursors to this very Thread.

I've got a wrinkle to add to one of our classic Long-Forgotten mini-histories, the one about the progressive oxidation of the front gate plaques. You know the story: they started out all bright and shiny—almost gold-colored; they turned a nice bronze-brown within a year; and finally they slowly turned green over the course of the next decades.

I put together a montage of dated photos.

Well, here's the wrinkle. By 1988 the plaques were thoroughly green with only the barest trace of brown left.

Someone at TDL didn't like what was happening and decided to polish them up again, getting back to the bronze tone (the original golden tone is probably out of reach). About this time (probably 1989) they were taken down and polished. As it happens, they made a children's GGG sing-along video at that time (the one with Donald Duck dancing around under a ghost sheet while Thurl sings GGG nice and slow and you follow the bouncing pumpkin). One plaque was finished and up again, restored to brown, while the other was still down! That was the state when they made the video, which I understand was released in 1990.

In a different, 1991 video you can see the finished plaque all nice and bronze-toned.

But that was the only attempt to intervene in the process, apparently. It didn't take very long for the plaques to go green again, and I guess they realized that they look just fine that way.

Which they do.

• Forgotten Spirit

Gah, I'm torn between the bronze and green....its all so good looking :P

• Minion

I thought they were intentionally aged. I wonder if PM's was like that in 1992 :/ Time for some ol' picture hunting

EDIT: PM's was always green as far as i'm aware. Since the manor was meant to look decrepid, aged, weathered and not looked after. Since in Europe nothing screams haunted house more than a delapidated building. Also as soon as I find some pics from 1992 (of my own) i'll scan them in and upload them.
    Last edited by Joelio; 07-19-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelio View Post
    I thought they were intentionally aged.
    It's possible that they've been given some chemical help, but it's not necessary. It's been 40 years, and that's what bronze does naturally.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM