Page 442 of 585 FirstFirst ... 342392417432439440441442443444445452467492542 ... LastLast
Results 6,616 to 6,630 of 8761

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by disneydisneygeek View Post
    I'm not asking for the queue but I do have to say the Orlando's HM Interactive hitchhiking ghosts are pretty cool. Why can't California's HM have this addition?
    I hope we don't get it. How many years until the new effect becomes "old hat?" The old effect is outdated - that's part of its charm, and the reason that it works so well; people are always over-guessing what the effect is...

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The return of HBG was no rumor. He was going to be put in for the 40th Anniversary, but the installation was cancelled at the last minute, supposedly to free up funds for another project (sounds dubious). The story was covered at MiceAge, and I've communicated with people involved in the project. The technical problems with the effect are solved.
    Supposedly, the money earmarked for it went to Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy.
    Of course, if you wanna go the conspiracy theory route, I am assuming Tony Baxter was in charge of the project and considering the way certain people in the Company went out of their way to undermine his career culminating in the events of a few weeks ago, It would not surprise me if certain people in WDI (particularly someone by the name of Tom F.) cut the money for the new HBG as a political move to curb Tony's influence.
    Last edited by HMF; 05-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Supposedly, the money earmarked for it went to Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy.
    Of course, if you wanna go the conspiracy theory route, I am assuming Tony Baxter was in charge of the project and considering the way certain people in the Company went out of their way to undermine his carrer culminating in the events of a few weeks ago, It would not surprise me if certain people in WDI (particularly someone by the name of Tom F.) cut the money for the new HBG as a political move to curb Tony's influence.
    Actually, it was merely because TDA thought that spending the money on Ghost Galaxy would bring in more guests than installing the HBG.

The HBG has been sitting for a few years, waiting to be installed. The funds just need to be allocated to its installation.

If we were to see the hatbox come back at a point. How do you think Disney will go about it? Will there be an enormous announcement of some sort?

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by disneydisneygeek View Post
    Also, on another note I was wondering. Why is it that Orlando's HM seems to get special treatment in everything? I'm not asking for the queue but I do have to say the Orlando's HM Interactive hitchhiking ghosts are pretty cool. Why can't California's HM have this addition?
    As for why the Orlando Mansion get's preferential treatment (Though that certainly was not the case prior to 2007) Supposedly Magic Kingdom Park VP Phil Holmes started his career as a ride operator on the Florida Mansion has a special fondness for it and agrees to let WDI play with it more than other attractions in Magic Kingdom (Mansion is one of the few attractions in the park that is in relatively pristine condition show quality-wise. The budget for the 09 refurb of Space Mountain on the other hand was mercilessly slashed by Phil resulting in the lack of on-board audio like at Disneyland and rickety condition of the almost 40 year-old ride track)
    As to the HitchHikers, They will probably show up in DL eventually I think, Hopefully without the unnecassary additional props in the tableau and of course with an improved CG Ezra.(The one in Florida has numerous appearence inconsistencies with the Animatronic and established character design)
    As for PLQ I strongly doubt it will end up in DL. First of which the reason it exists is because of Disney's new Fastpass+ part of their Next Gen initiative (or as I refer to it Big Brother Inititive due to the privacy invasion this initiative entails.)
    The standby lines for attractions that do not usually need fastpass due to high capacity such as Mansion that they are forcing Fastpass+ onto will be artificilly inflated because of this and due to the artificially long lines they felt the need to keep guests in the standby lines occupied during their artifificially long wait (Also to disguise the fact that lines are longer than they should be )Thus, you have PLQ with it's gimmicky theme-spoiling interactive stuff.
    While Disneyland is supposed to get the Next Gen program eventually. Those knowlegeable about it say that due to the difference in audience and culture they will have greater difficulty implementing the project fully due to the fact that the Disneyland Audience will simply not accept being taken advantage of the way the WDW Audiene (largely) does. Also PLQ is toxic and WDI knows this, Thanks largely to the panniing it recieved from this thread. If they attempted to replicate PLQ in California there would be a massive Public Relations disaster that I think even they are smart enough to not want to provoke.
    Last edited by HMF; 03-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

I think that some form of the Laffite übertheme originally conceived by Eddie Sotto is alive and well in the imagination of a powerful WDI person whom I shall not name, someone who thinks it fitz the New Orleans setting. If real people like Jean Laffite and Andrew Jackson and real events like the War of 1812 are going to be woven into an area master theme, that same someone probably doesn't think that things like Captain Culpepper's bubbling Tubsoleum belong in such a world.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

An expanded queue wouldn't fit. Think what you will about HMH, but for the many months it takes up residence the regular queue area is full and routinely spills outside of the gate into a makeshift queue in the plaza next to the Mansion. I only saw the regular Mansion do that once -- during One More Disney Day. They need every inch of queue they have.

HHGs 2.0? They claim they're more "interactive" but on just about every ride-through of the Anahaeim HM I took last year I saw people reaching for the ghosts, i.e. "interacting" with them. And the classic effect is so bulletproof it works from every angle. If you look at the buggies ahead of or behind yours you continue to see the proper dimensional illusion making it a perfect magic trick. I don't know if it's just me but in this video of the Florida 2.0s the effect seems to flatten out unless the camera is dead-on to the "mirrors". So, if you see your own buggy's effect and think "How did they do that?" you can look over and say, " Oh, it's done with a screen."
    Haunted Mansion Hitchhiking Ghosts augmented reality - YouTube
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 03-24-2013 at 06:32 AM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    An expanded queue wouldn't fit. Think what you will about HMH, but for the many months it takes up residence the regular queue area is full and routinely spills outside of the gate into a makeshift queue in the plaza next to the Mansion. I only saw the regular Mansion do that once -- during One More Disney Day. They need every inch of queue they have.

HHGs 2.0? They claim they're more "interactive" but on just about every ride-through of the Anahaeim HM I took last year I saw people reaching for the ghosts, i.e. "interacting" with them. And the classic effect is so bulletproof it works from every angle. If you look at the buggies ahead of or behind yours you continue to see the proper dimensional illusion making it a perfect magic trick. I don't know if it's just me but in this video of the Florida 2.0s the effect seems to flatten out unless the camera is dead-on to the "mirrors". So, if you see your own buggy's effect and think "How did they do that?" you can look over and say, " Oh, it's done with a screen."
    That's an EXCELLENT point about interacting with the traditional mirror HHG's. You see people ALL the time posing their hands to grab Ezra's hat brim, scooting over to "make room" for the ghost, and things like that. If that isn't interactive, what is? Glendale, they're ALREADY INTERACTIVE and always have been and probably always will be, if you leave them alone.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Evil is Sexy

Went to DL yesterday. Visited our favorite attraction. Finally saw the spider/web in the ballroom. Now I need to look across the way and see the hole in the wallpaper under the dueling portrait. Nothing really new to report. The "serving set" is still out on the balcony above the entrance doors. Our favorite pop up head (HBG) is still by the musicians. I didn't see our air-rocket pop-up in the graveyard. The second elevator was not working when we went. It was in the bottom position, open. Perhaps prestaged for handicap exit.

PS - The cast members all give my husband the "odd" look everytime he Muahahahaha's when he walks by them. LOL.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    The interactive queue at WDW I saw once and never felt the need to see twice. I'm happy if others like it. In a selfish way, maybe I ought to be glad for its existence--by avoiding it each visit, I'll get into the HM quicker. It's nice that it's outside, rather than inside, the Mansion. Easily avoided if one wants.

Couldn't agree more about the HHG 2.0--big thumbs down. Just because one can do something technically doesn't mean one ought to. The classic effect was terrific and, like you said, viewable from all angles. The new CG version irks me.

Mostly, I think, because it reminds me of my disappointment with the latest Spaceship Earth makeover at Epcot. In replacing the more foreboding Jeremy Irons narrative with the perkier Judy Densch one, speeding up the motion of the animatronics, and adding the same video capture gimmick and game on your backwards descent at the end of the ride (vs. leaving you to yourself to soak in the atmosphere and reflect), they took a lovely dark ride and made it less special. Although there are "new" elements I liked as well--adding the composite Great And Mighty Woz / Steve Jobs garage scene.

Now of course that's a completely subjective judgment, whether it's now "better" or "worse" ride for the changes. But I believe it's the latter given my tastes (huge fan of dark rides and the atmosphere they create). Now, if they tried to replace the Paul Frees Ghost Host narrative in the HM with something goofy like "The Three Amigos Present" (thinking the Mexico ride in Epcot), or Eddie Murphy doing the narration based on the film version of the Haunted Mansion, then the magic would truly be dead (for me anyway). Wouldn't reflect the Gravity of the Situation, so to speak.

Granted, the previous version of the HHG effect wasn't scary or spooky. But it gave a good sense of wonder. All I can think of with the "upgrade" is "more cheap CG." Although I know how both effects are done, there's more suspension of disbelief for me with the old effect than the new one.

That said, the grand staircase rehaunting is so well done that it's hard to complain too much or too bitterly about the other parts I dislike. It's a genuinely "plussed" element, in keeping with the spirit of the ride I know and love. And that is compensation enough for what I consider new HM minuses. The implementation of an originally imagined effect (the ghostly footprints) and the Winchester House influence, is incredibly cool. Wonderful artistry that deepens the ride experience vs. the (ironically?) dated CG of HHG 2.0 that cheapens it. There's a timelessness to the Mansion that the CG effect seems to take away from.
    Last edited by mikeerdas; 03-24-2013 at 02:49 PM.

OK, a tad off topic (RE HHG CGI, etc)...but I am curious...I know most HM fans are utterly against alterations/additions (and I tend to heartily agree), BUT, if you could 'add a new room' to the HM...a completely new scene with effects of your choosing, say in a dream version of the world's coolest attraction...what would it be?

I personally think a 'haunted nursery' would be spooktacular, tho I know the vast majority of folks might think of it as 'too dark' (I recall a story of a young Disney engineer during discussions on making the WDW HM 'Endless Staircases' suggesting what he thought was a great creepy possibility/addition...a child's ball bouncing eerily down the stairs as little footprints appeared next to the bounces...he was greeted with blank stares as one older employee flatly stated, 'Disney doesn't DO 'dead kids'...LOL...but I think it sounded wonderfully CREEPY...
    Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://www.karcreat.com

Also, I see a lot of animated GIF posts here for fun...so here is one I just created, using a few select frames from the wonderful Hatbox Ghost (created by 'Kevin & Jody') footage I downloaded for reference...might Hattie look like this should he return? (with, of course, the additional 'head vanishing/appearing' effect added)...

Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://www.karcreat.com

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    OK, a tad off topic (RE HHG CGI, etc)...but I am curious...I know most HM fans are utterly against alterations/additions (and I tend to heartily agree), BUT, if you could 'add a new room' to the HM...a completely new scene with effects of your choosing, say in a dream version of the world's coolest attraction...what would it be?

I personally think a 'haunted nursery' would be spooktacular, tho I know the vast majority of folks might think of it as 'too dark' (I recall a story of a young Disney engineer during discussions on making the WDW HM 'Endless Staircases' suggesting what he thought was a great creepy possibility/addition...a child's ball bouncing eerily down the stairs as little footprints appeared next to the bounces...he was greeted with blank stares as one older employee flatly stated, 'Disney doesn't DO 'dead kids'...LOL...but I think it sounded wonderfully CREEPY...
    Good question. I'm all for alterations and additions that add mystery, wonder, and atmosphere while staying within the parameters of taste (for Disney) and maintaining the spooky-but-not-terrifying character of the place. If I had to imagine new rooms, I guess I'd think about places like the Biltmore Estate (and its Butler's Tour) and Monticello for reference and choose types of rooms not currently featured. While there is an actual walk-through Servant's Quarters in the HM, it would be interesting to have a ride through one. But maybe I've been watching too much Downton Abbey. Ghostly servants performing various house tasks like cleaning, cooking, making up beds, working in a wine cellar, etc, would be interesting. There's certainly Room For One More (Pepper's Ghost effect).

Perhaps a gameroom with a haunted chessboard, billiard table, etc:

Haunted Ouija board, although the seance room with Madame Leota already covers that. And it might be a bit too outre' for the Mansion:

The Tarot cards could possibly be animated or moving.

A blue, red, or green laser vortex effect might be neat to see in the cemetery. Possibly too over the top (or commonplace these days in Haunted Attractions and even Halloween Yard Haunts). Perhaps similar to the non-laser vortex lighting effect seen at the beginning of Epcot's Norway pavillion Maestrom ride:

Last edited by mikeerdas; 03-24-2013 at 03:44 PM.

It would be interesting if they had the museum of the weird. There is one Ken Anderson concept That would be a creepy addition
    It would be eerie if you'll see shadowy hooded figures going across the spiral staircase.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Maybe a realization of the study as suggested by a Marc Davis early sketch (ghost of a big game hunter vs. tiger-skin rug.) Mounted animal heads, very lush wood and furnishings, a few of the Sinister 11 portraits from Florida with the Scooby Doo 'eyes follow you' effect, motion by way of a book flipping itself on a desk or books going in and out of shelves like in Florida.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM