Page 443 of 618 FirstFirst ... 343393418433440441442443444445446453468493543 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,645 of 9257

Haunted Mansion eye-following bust effect reused at Disney's Aulani resort in Hawaii

A little off topic, but while I was at Disney's Aulani resort in Hawaii, something caught my attention: the eye following bust effect from the Haunted Mansion's Library scene. Here, a "menehune" character who's eyes seem to follow you as you pass by. This is located in the children's area of the Aulani's lobby:

Video was shot with a 3D camera but I haven't enabled 3D in the YouTube upload. Not sure which 3D format was appropriate given the choices YouTube provided.

Anyway, thought it was a nice homage to the Haunted Mansion. Gorgeous resort, the Aulani.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Maybe a realization of the study as suggested by a Marc Davis early sketch (ghost of a big game hunter vs. tiger-skin rug.) Mounted animal heads, very lush wood and furnishings

Karstens Creations - Original Art & Custom Dreams

http://kkarstens.wix.com/karstenscreations

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Hatbox999 View Post
    It would be interesting if they had the museum of the weird. There is one Ken Anderson concept That would be a creepy addition
    It would be eerie if you'll see shadowy hooded figures going across the spiral staircase.
    3:20 in...

Disney could still make a museum of the weird. Obviously there's no space for it right next to the Haunted Mansion but maybe it could be somewhere else in the park. But what would be hard, is finding a proper location for it. Hmm.

Anyone else ever hear this before? (was NEWS to me!)

When you leave the attic and go to the graveyard… you fall out of the attic window. And that’s why at that point you see the ghosts in a full figure… because you “die” Also that’s why you go down the ramp.
    Chimpie Explains It All

• Inhospitable about happy

A little more info on the Grand Staircase has come in over the transom from Lonesome Ghost. Originally, the candlesticks were not going to be stuck on the newell posts but floating (via wires) in tandem with the footsteps, as if the ghosts were carrying them. They would go out and the footsteps would vanish, and after a bit they'd both reappear and walk the other direction. But it was too difficult to get the two effects to coordinate tightly and this effect was scrapped. As for why they use projections, the bottom line is cost.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    Anyone else ever hear this before? (was NEWS to me!)
    Chimpie Explains It All
    We went through that not too long ago. Personally, I don't buy it because there's a Disney ride that "kills" you and sends you to Hades and it ain't subtle. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, of course.

We went through that not too long ago.
    My apologies...I must have missed that somehow when reading through the older posts...I'm new here...but thanks for takin' time to answer my inquiry, much appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, of course.
    LOL...my fave bit in that:

The Judge: GUILTY!!!!
    Last edited by karcreat; 03-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by mikeerdas View Post
    The interactive queue at WDW I saw once and never felt the need to see twice. I'm happy if others like it. In a selfish way, maybe I ought to be glad for its existence--by avoiding it each visit, I'll get into the HM quicker. It's nice that it's outside, rather than inside, the Mansion. Easily avoided if one wants..
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless you subscribe to Disney's Data-mining/Big Brother program you will be forced to go through PLQ.

• Member of Baxter's Army

[QUOTE=HBG2;1056946617]I think that some form of the Laffite übertheme originally conceived by Eddie Sotto is alive and well in the imagination of a powerful WDI person whom I shall not name, QUOTE]

So it's not Tony, there goes my theory.
    "someone who thinks it fitz the New Orleans setting".
    An accedental mispelling or a coded message?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    We went through that not too long ago. Personally, I don't buy it because there's a Disney ride that "kills" you and sends you to Hades and it ain't subtle. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, of course.
    I tend to agree that the whole "you die falling out the attic window" thing isn't really supported by the ride - everything the Ghost Host says to you after that is consistent with what he says before; you don't take part in the graveyard party, you pass through and leave; and having the hitchhiking ghosts follow you home when you're a ghost too doesn't really make sense - but I just wanted to mention that there was one additional Disney ride that kills you by the end, and it was significantly more subtle about it. If you really were supposed to die on the Haunted Mansion, it would really be a new height of murderous subtlety on Disney's part, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    I tend to agree that the whole "you die falling out the attic window" thing isn't really supported by the ride - having the hitchhiking ghosts follow you home when you're a ghost too doesn't really make sense.
    (Face palm)...EXCELLENT point...VERY logical...thanks...

• Minion

Granted, the previous version of the HHG effect wasn't scary or spooky.
    It was to me!

The best part about it, though, is that it fits seamlessly into the reality of the rest of the house. The new CGI ones yank you out of the narrative.

I'm not so sure the HBG fits into the new Attic scene. unless they redo it when Del Toro's movie comes out, I think I'd probably place him somewhere in the graveyard scene instead. Or maybe the ballroom.

Love the idea of a haunted game room! Or maybe a kitchen, although a haunted stove and icebox might look too much like the Carousel of Progress. Maybe a bedroom, with glowing eyes under the bed and peeking out of a slightly open closet door. You could have a figure appearing and disappearing under the covers.

• Inhospitable about happy

The one traditional haunted room that's completely ignored in the HM is the cellar. I suppose the crypt substitutes for it, and the type of activity you might find there is covered by the attic. Still, the dreadful secrets are often "buried in the cellar."
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The one traditional haunted room that's completely ignored in the HM is the cellar. I suppose the crypt substitutes for it, and the type of activity you might find there is covered by the attic. Still, the dreadful secrets are often "buried in the cellar."
    Wines and spirits!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM