Page 444 of 719 FirstFirst ... 344394419434441442443444445446447454469494544 ... LastLast
Results 6,646 to 6,660 of 10778

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    It was to me!

The best part about it, though, is that it fits seamlessly into the reality of the rest of the house. The new CGI ones yank you out of the narrative.
    EXACTLY...spot...on.

I'm not so sure the HBG fits into the new Attic scene. unless they redo it when Del Toro's movie comes out, I think I'd probably place him somewhere in the graveyard scene instead. Or maybe the ballroom.
    All they need to do to make him 'fit' in the attic is remove the pics of Constance's 'other husbands'...

Love the idea of a haunted game room! Or maybe a kitchen, although a haunted stove and icebox might look too much like the Carousel of Progress. Maybe a bedroom, with glowing eyes under the bed and peeking out of a slightly open closet door. You could have a figure appearing and disappearing under the covers.
    OK...WEEEEIIRD! You basically just described (with your 'Maybe a bedroom, with glowing eyes under the bed and peeking out of a slightly open closet door' comment, exactly what I have planned for my Mutual Attractions' Haunted Nursery' scene, which I am making in miniature right now...here's the first effect I finished, a rough test...miniature hallway (about 18" tall) of my first ever Pepper's Ghost effect attempt...

PS...First post on page 444! WOOT!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    A little more info on the Grand Staircase has come in over the transom from Lonesome Ghost. Originally, the candlesticks were not going to be stuck on the newell posts but floating (via wires) in tandem with the footsteps, as if the ghosts were carrying them. They would go out and the footsteps would vanish, and after a bit they'd both reappear and walk the other direction. But it was too difficult to get the two effects to coordinate tightly and this effect was scrapped. As for why they use projections, the bottom line is cost.
    Interesting. Thanks HBG2. Love the concept. Too bad they couldn't implement it to their satisfaction. Perhaps they could sort it out in the future--by projecting the candlesticks separately on black scrim or some other suitable suspended projection surface. Guess it wouldn't look as good as physical candlesticks but who knows. Love floating candlesticks in general, like in the Endless Hallway. I had some fun a few seasons back with two cheap props from Walgreens creating a floating candelabra. Never did use it for anything but it was a fun, easy, inexpensive build:

The one traditional haunted room that's completely ignored in the HM is the cellar. I suppose the crypt substitutes for it, and the type of activity you might find there is covered by the attic. Still, the dreadful secrets are often "buried in the cellar."
    LOVE THIS!
    Mind if I 'borrow' the suggestion for my miniature attraction, make an animated scene based on your ideas? (THE CELLAR! BRILLIANT! Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless you subscribe to Disney's Data-mining/Big Brother program you will be forced to go through PLQ.
    Sorry HMF, I don't follow you. What does PLQ stand for? And do you mean some sort of RFID-based ticket?

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by karcreat View Post
    LOVE THIS!
    Mind if I 'borrow' the suggestion for my miniature attraction, make an animated scene based on your ideas? (THE CELLAR! BRILLIANT! Thanks...
    Sure, go ahead.

Oh, and PLQ stands for Pepe Le Queue, a shorthand reference to the new WDW queue by those who think it stinks.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Love that miniature hallway test - very effective, even in small scale. Hope the larger finished version works out even nearly as well!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by mikeerdas View Post
    Sorry HMF, I don't follow you. What does PLQ stand for? And do you mean some sort of RFID-based ticket?
    Shorthand for Haunted Mansion's interactive queue and yes Disney is indeed planning on requiring guests to wear RFID Tracking devices as part of their NextGen initiative. Also, These interactive queues seem to be bringing out the worst in guest behavior as noted in this Jim Hill article.
    Are Disney's new interactive queues actually encouraging theme park Guests to be more destructive?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless you subscribe to Disney's Data-mining/Big Brother program you will be forced to go through PLQ.
    Shorthand for Haunted Mansion's interactive queue and yes Disney is indeed planning on requiring guests to wear RFID Tracking devices as part of their NextGen initiative. Also, These interactive queues seem to be bringing out the worst in guest behavior

How sad. I guess I won't be riding the HM if and when I get back to Florida again. Glad I rode it while I can!

I guess I can see the interactive queues training the guests to poke and prod things within reach, wondering "what does this one do?" and being disappointed when things don't do anything (but the thing they grabbed remains broken).
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

The unspoken rule in this location: "Touch, grab, yell at, bang with your fist."

The unspoken rule in all other locations: "Look but don't touch."

And they're surprised at the noticeable uptick in queue vandalism? The ability to grasp that distinction right there is well beyond the intellectual horizon of some guests.

​Uh huh. It's sad.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

To go to a concrete example. Let's say we had a PLQ at DL. What's to prevent a kid after that from thinking he should yank and twist and pull on the bat stantions, and swing on the chains, when he gets to the portrait hall? He just wants to see "what will happen," after seeing all the fun things that happened when he behaved the same way in the queue. Then he gets hurt. Then the lawyers make them stick yellow warning tape on the floor, with lights shining on it every three feet, and change the chains to solid concrete hand rails with rubber strips on the tops (see, I told you it was a concrete example).

The unspoken rule in this location: "Touch, grab, yell at, bang with your fist."

The unspoken rule in all other locations: "Look but don't touch."

And they're surprised at the noticeable uptick in queue vandalism? The ability to grasp that distinction right there is well beyond the intellectual horizon of some guests.
    Absolutely. Pretty early in my theme-park-going career, it became obvious that park guests are like water over stone - an erosive force that will inevitably wear away at a ride, but if you allow there to be anything for that friction to grab hold of (from a chip in the paint to a nice, interactive doodad), the water will rush in, and people will pick, pick, pick until, in a matter of days to weeks, it's dust and sand. I've seen people do it, and in the little things I think that half the time it isn't even conscious (obviously for things like the painting mentioned, it's intentional, whatever the absurd reason given at the time). Bored humans pick at things, unless they've been carefully trained not to. If you do the opposite of training them not to (i.e., tell them to bang on things), then that's just turning the stream into a river. You might do that at a playground, but playgrounds are built to take that kind of abuse. Ride queues generally aren't, and can't be, if you want to reach a certain standard of theming. The fact that WDI is apparently unaware of this is just bizarre.

Good discussion, and thanks to HMF for linking the Jim Hill article. Hill gets a lot of flack, but he puts some good stuff out there too, and the Imagineer's thoughts he quotes are valuable. (I'm assuming they're genuine.)

Not to change the subject (unless we're done with it?), but suddenly, out of the blue, comes a...

SUPERPOST

It absolutely amazes me how even after all this time and all this attention to the HM, new things continue to surface. I've just gotten hold of yet another piece of concept art previously unknown. It seems like a bottomless pit sometimes. You wonder just how much artwork this project generated all told. Truly staggering.

This looks to me like a Ken Anderson sketch. It's especially apropos in light of the earlier remarks about haunted cellars, since that's sorta what it looks like.

It's obviously inspired by this piece of Eyvand Earle concept art for the Sleeping Beauty walk-thru (especially if you reverse it, which I did). It's one of the best examples I've seen of cross-pollination with other Disneyland attractions.

It's POSSIBLY a Claude Coats piece. Coats worked on the Sleeping Beauty walk-thru as well as Anderson, and even though we scarcely need it, we happen to have solid proof that both men had plenty of exposure to precisely this Eyvand Earle sketch.

Like I said, I think it's an Anderson piece. It just looks like his work, and it's also reminiscent of this other Anderson sketch, of which I have only this wretched postage-stamp sized copy:

I toyed with the idea of turning this into a LF blog post, but I figured...naw, put 'er up on the Thread first.
    And to conclude by stating the obvious, it's a really crool* sketch, isn't it?

*wickedly scary, but nevertheless cool.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

That is a very good 'new' sketch - great stuff, thank you Dan!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

How sad. I guess I won't be riding the HM if and when I get back to Florida again. Glad I rode it while I can!
    I have actually theorized since the nature of the NextGen inititative became public knowledge that PLQ may have been deliberately designed to be objectionable so that traditionalists would be more willing to tolerate Fastpass +/RFID Datamining to avoid it. It certainly looks like that's what might happen whether it's deliberate or not. That said (portrait vandalism aside, BTW, Certain people in WDI might have secretly wanted that portrait vandalized considering how unpopular Tony is in Glendale right now thus explaining why it was put in such a guest accessible place to begin with. It's a really toxic climate at WDI now.) The Big Thunder Queue actually turned out pretty well and the interactive elements "Mostly" make sense in the context so we can only hope WDI has learned it's lesson from the PLQ backlash.
    Last edited by HMF; 03-26-2013 at 12:14 AM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM