Page 445 of 596 FirstFirst ... 345395420435442443444445446447448455470495545 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,675 of 8926

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

SUPAH POST!
    Ok, picture time! I took these pics of WDW's HM yesterday and the day before. Feel free to use them as you please!
    Name:  580263_266685090133672_173597467_n.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  224.4 KBName:  422890_266659606802887_1788452580_n.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  27.8 KBName:  1708_266659383469576_996926067_n.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  26.0 KBName:  221723_266661106802737_723600794_n.jpg
Size:  87.2 KBAnd this one is for LOLZ!Name:  532908_267090230093158_1426414509_n.jpg
Size:  142.6 KB
    "Lemme outta here!"

Avatar from Ghost Relations Department and sig pic from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Thank you very much for those photos, FoolishMortal!

Came across this video from the MK in 2000. Parts I wish could see better are sadly pitch black mostly - the Sinister 11, the giant spider webs, but some very good footage of the period attic bride (glowing eyes and veiled blue visible face), and decent pop-up footage in the attic for at least one of the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Thank you very much for those photos, FoolishMortal!

Came across this video from the MK in 2000. Parts I wish could see better are sadly pitch black mostly - the Sinister 11, the giant spider webs, but some very good footage of the period attic bride (glowing eyes and veiled blue visible face), and decent pop-up footage in the attic for at least one of the heads.

Thanks and I'm loving the vid! Never seen it before.
    "Lemme outta here!"

Avatar from Ghost Relations Department and sig pic from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

• Inhospitable about happy

You WDW fans need to check out the new old construction photos at the Imagineering Disney blog, if you haven't already.

Also, here's some fun trivia via my pal Lonesome Ghost. Tony Baxter is a huge Indiana Jones fan, and apparently it's no accident that there are several name overlaps with Phantom Manor.

Owners
    Henry Ravenwood
    Martha Ravenwood

Servants
    Jasper Jones
    Anna Jones

"Henry" is Indiana's real name, also his father's.
    Marion, you will recall, is Marion Ravenwood.
    "Jones." Duh.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    You WDW fans need to check out the new old construction photos at the Imagineering Disney blog, if you haven't already.

Also, here's some fun trivia via my pal Lonesome Ghost. Tony Baxter is a huge Indiana Jones fan, and apparently it's no accident that there are several name overlaps with Phantom Manor.

Owners
    Henry Ravenwood
    Martha Ravenwood

Servants
    Jasper Jones
    Anna Jones

"Henry" is Indiana's real name, also his father's.
    Marion, you will recall, is Marion Ravenwood.
    "Jones." Duh.
    I always suspected that there was a connection.

Is Leota grounded again? I was there a week ago and she wasn't floating.

When was the last time she was up and about? Also, do any of you have a preference as to whether or not she floats? Last question; was she always set on the table when the HM opened?

• Evil is Sexy

Leota in DL's HM has been grounded since at least February, if not longer. I've never seen her float, so I can't answer the preference question.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
    Last question; was she always set on the table when the HM opened?
    Leota didn't start to float until early 2005, I believe. Prior to that, she was always on the table.

My preference: Grounded is more "classic" but the "plussing" here isn't too intrusive to the original setup (even though I can always see a light reflecting off of one of the wires). I would actually prefer if it oscillated from grounded to floating about a foot high. Best of both worlds.

When she was grounded last year there was always a bright spot betwen her nose and mouth. I assumed it was a side-effect of the internal projection system and wasn't visible from the angle you see her at when she's floating.

Is it still there?

• Inhospitable about happy

I think most of the hardcore prefer a grounded Leota. Me too. She's supposed to be an island of stability, not just in the room, but in the entire HM, thematically. Having said that, floating Mdm L is probably one of the less objectionable "plussings" over the past decade. No one seems to think it's ruined the Sťance Circle.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

I don't MIND Floating Leota, but I prefer Stationary Leota, mainly for two reasons:

1. The wire is clearly visible more often than not. It's as visible as the Hatbox Ghost's unlit face, which was enough reason for them to pull an entire figure out of the show.

2. When she's resting on the table, she gives the scene an anchor/focal point.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I think most of the hardcore prefer a grounded Leota. Me too. She's supposed to be an island of stability, not just in the room, but in the entire HM, thematically. Having said that, floating Mdm L is probably one of the less objectionable "plussings" over the past decade. No one seems to think it's ruined the Sťance Circle.
    Prefer grounded Leota as well. But also agree that it hasn't ruined the Seance Circle. Would rather see floating Tarot cards than a floating Leota. Or the spell book flipping its own pages as another poster has suggested. Really enjoy the tribute to 19th Century Spiritualism with all its gimmickry (e.g. Davenport Brothers Spirit Cabinet effects--the musical instruments playing themselves). I'm a fan of Spiritualism exposure books like Houdini's, M. Lamar Keen's The Psychic Mafia, and of more recent vintage, Mark Edward's Psychic Blues. Like with all special effects, it's fun to know how the mechanisms involved.

And for other HM illusions, Hiding the Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear by Jim Steinmeyer has one of the best accounts in print of the history and mechanics of the Pepper's Ghost illusion--at least 20 pages on the subject. As well as great chapters on the Davenport Brothers. Joe Nickell's Secrets of the Sideshows is another favorite.

Wondering if others here love the HM's illusions are into books on the subject, including theater lighting and other effects. I'm currently looking for a good book that goes into a good amount of detail about how scrim works / different scrim applications if anyone has a recommendation. Since scrim is used in so many Disney attractions.

• Minion

I prefer the floating Leota.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeerdas View Post
    I'm currently looking for a good book that goes into a good amount of detail about how scrim works / different scrim applications if anyone has a recommendation. Since scrim is used in so many Disney attractions.
    Hey there, Mikeerdas...I'm a theatrical scenic designer and use scrim all the time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. You can send a private message if you want so we don't clog up the thread.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Something I don't know we've discussed much (it's not that big a talking point) regarding the exit crypt - we've of course covered the Rolly Crump/Beauty and the Beast silent film arm sconces (also pictured below), the former Dead End sign, Little Leota, even the giant Monty Python-esque projection hand Florida got for a while.

sconces in the crypts by giddygirlie, on Flickr

However, I just really stopped to think about the fact the 'wall crypts' behind the fence are clearly shown to be caving in, and that cascade of grave dirt (likely painted cement) is a nice detail. The weight of the above ground crypts too much? Ground sinkage from the swampy land the house was built on?

Just a little thematic/atmosphere touch basically no average guest would remember or talk about. I am now rather fond of this, as in the grand scheme of things, it's 'pointless' theming that no one really is going to stop and look at, as they are either getting out of their doom buggy and hurrying to get out of the way of guests behind them, or proceeding up the ramp to ground level. The fact that it's designed with specific detail/idea in that location where no one much will care about it makes me like it all the more.

So, three cheers for the pile of dirt and a collection of 'loose' crypt stones!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM