Page 446 of 609 FirstFirst ... 346396421436443444445446447448449456471496546 ... LastLast
Results 6,676 to 6,690 of 9127

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    However, I just really stopped to think about the fact the 'wall crypts' behind the fence are clearly shown to be caving in, and that cascade of grave dirt (likely painted cement) is a nice detail. The weight of the above ground crypts too much? Ground sinkage from the swampy land the house was built on?
    I always looked at it as I exited. I assume it's the aftermath of restless spirits exiting their crypts. We've already seen bulging crypts in the cemetery from someone/something trying to get out.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    My preference: Grounded is more "classic" but the "plussing" here isn't too intrusive to the original setup (even though I can always see a light reflecting off of one of the wires). I would actually prefer if it oscillated from grounded to floating about a foot high. Best of both worlds.

When she was grounded last year there was always a bright spot betwen her nose and mouth. I assumed it was a side-effect of the internal projection system and wasn't visible from the angle you see her at when she's floating.

Is it still there?
    I too prefer grounded Leota. As to the light reflection, it is probably from front projection. There are two different Leotas, and the floating one has the projection from the inside, while I believe the stationary Leota is the old-style front projection, hence the one bright spot on the crystal ball. The candles on the table also reflect on the ball with the intent to mask the projector's light spot reflection.

When floating Leota is out of commission, she's usually still up there off to one side with a piece of black fabric draped over her.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I too prefer grounded Leota. As to the light reflection, it is probably from front projection. There are two different Leotas, and the floating one has the projection from the inside, while I believe the stationary Leota is the old-style front projection, hence the one bright spot on the crystal ball. The candles on the table also reflect on the ball with the intent to mask the projector's light spot reflection.

When floating Leota is out of commission, she's usually still up there off to one side with a piece of black fabric draped over her.
    One does wonder why Leota has been grounded so often at Disneyland since Floating Leota debuted considering at WDW I have only heard of her being grounded once since 2007.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    One does wonder why Leota has been grounded so often at Disneyland
    Her California mother is stricter.

As for the crypt dirt, Regions is right, no one ever talks about it. I've never fully understood what the intended takeaway is, but as he says, that's part of the charm.
    On a practical level, they don't want to put anything too interesting over there, because they want you to pay attention to disembarking.
    Thematically, here's a guess: They may be suggesting that the old crypt you are in has become structurally unsound and is in danger of collapse, ensuring that you are indeed #1000.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    As for the crypt dirt, Regions is right, no one ever talks about it. I've never fully understood what the intended takeaway is, but as he says, that's part of the charm.
    On a practical level, they don't want to put anything too interesting over there, because they want you to pay attention to disembarking.
    I think it's still part of the "show," albeit a subtle one. You still have Little Leota to pass by (definitely a "show element") and the final parting shot -- the chuckling laughter right as you exit the crypt doors to the real world.

Thematically, here's a guess: They may be suggesting that the old crypt you are in has become structurally unsound and is in danger of collapse, ensuring that you are indeed #1000.
    I don't believe that the Mansion is at any time trying to kill you. If anything, the exit chuckles are an indication that they know they don't have to kill you, the last laugh will always be death/the Mansion.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Her California mother is stricter..
    I should have expected that.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I think it's still part of the "show," albeit a subtle one. You still have Little Leota to pass by (definitely a "show element") and the final parting shot -- the chuckling laughter right as you exit the crypt doors to the real world.
    But those occur after you disembark. I think the show recedes to a bare minimum so that people pay all their conscious attention to getting out of the buggies, and after that has safely transpired the show swells back up again for LL and the exit.

I don't believe that the Mansion is at any time trying to kill you. If anything, the exit chuckles are an indication that they know they don't have to kill you, the last laugh will always be death/the Mansion.
    If I'm right, it's much too strong to call it a threat to kill. It's more like stirring up a vague anxiety, vague doubts about the safety of the place. You're underground (note the roots coming through the walls and ceiling in places), and the broken crypts and dirt are evidence that the structure is not in good repair and has succumbed to pressure in some places.

• Mr. Ghost

It may have been brought up before, but here is a Dark Shadows /Haunted Mansion link that I thought of last night. During the "Dream Curse" storyline, characters would wander through a "corridor of doors" as it were, in their nightmares. This hallway consisted of black walls and a few doors that seemed to float around the walls. This is the best link I could find with pics.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    It may have been brought up before, but here is a Dark Shadows /Haunted Mansion link that I thought of last night. During the "Dream Curse" storyline, characters would wander through a "corridor of doors" as it were, in their nightmares. This hallway consisted of black walls and a few doors that seemed to float around the walls. This is the best link I could find with pics.
    I'm always bringing up Dark Shadows parallels on HBG2's blog! Stepping into the haunted mansion is like visiting a real-life Collinwood.

Especially the Dream Curse, with it's narration that's so reminiscent of the "When hinges creak in doorless chambers" speech.

Through sight and sound and faceless terror;
    Through endless corridors by trial and error;
    Ahead a blazing light does burn;
    And one door leads to the point of return.

(I can also just imagine Barnabas and Jeremiah's portraits coming to life and fighting that duel over and over...)

Since they were in development about the same time, and neither could realistically have copied the other, I've always though that DS and the HM must have spring from the same place in the zeitgeist of the time. They certainly had all the same cultural and literary influences to choose from.

• Mr. Ghost

I had a dream of a Dark Shadows themed Haunted Mansion once. Jossette's wedding dress filled in for the old ghost bride.

There's also a pretty familiar-looking corpse bride in that episode.

Our friend Craig Conley has come across what may have been an inspiration for a Ken Anderson concept painting. It's from the 1900 issue of Wide World. Not close enough to be certain, but close enough to raise suspicions. Yeah, another one of those.

[QUOTE=HBG2;1056949815]But those occur after you disembark. I think the show recedes to a bare minimum so that people pay all their conscious attention to getting out of the buggies, and after that has safely transpired the show swells back up again for LL and the exit.

If I'm right, it's much too strong to call it a threat to kill. It's more like stirring up a vague anxiety, vague doubts about the safety of the place. You're underground (note the roots coming through the walls and ceiling in places), and the broken crypts and dirt are evidence that the structure is not in good repair and has succumbed to pressure in some places.[/QUOTE

To me it seems as if the Doombuggy is supernaturally floating off the balcony in a smooth manner. The way they tip backwards just feels like floating, IMO.
    "Lemme outta here!"

Avatar from Ghost Relations Department and sig pic from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

(Off topic)
    I found this funny pic on Tomblr. LOL It was too big to post so here's a link:
    tumblr_m02q1xNHFW1r62cdpo1_500.png
    "Lemme outta here!"

Avatar from Ghost Relations Department and sig pic from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

• Minion

Seen at the Carroll County "Peep Show" here in Maryland:

Name:  Haunted Mansion-Peeps Diorama.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  77.8 KB

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM