Page 449 of 618 FirstFirst ... 349399424439446447448449450451452459474499549 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,735 of 9267

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by mikeerdas View Post
    Not to drag this too far off topic, but - "Universe of Energy - a dinosaur themed dark-ride." What a blatant rip-off (I assume). Sad that Disney used to be the innovators and the one to copy; now they seem to lag behind...

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Sorry to get off topic guys, but today I had some free time on GIMP.
    Prepare to be terrified! :P
    Name:  Eddie Hatbox.png
Views: 405
Size:  125.4 KB
    "Lemme outta here!"

Avatar from Ghost Relations Department and sig pic from Pure Imagineering

Be sure to visit xfoolishmortalx.tumblr.com!

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Not to drag this too far off topic, but - "Universe of Energy - a dinosaur themed dark-ride." What a blatant rip-off (I assume). Sad that Disney used to be the innovators and the one to copy; now they seem to lag behind...
    What about "Piraten in Batavia" at the same park? Looks awfully similar to another famous Disney dark ride:

They even cribbed many of the same scenes. The ship battle, the town on fire, the jail scene (with a monkey teasingly holding the keys instead of a dog), etc. I'd expect that sort of thing in China but not Europe.

[QUOTE=mikeerdas;1056953966]Geisterschloss in Germany (Ghost Castle?) at Europa Park seems to be another HM knock-off. Haven't watched the full ride video but it seems to have doombuggy-like ride vehicles and there is a 4 bust projection like the GGG guys. Anyone know of others?

Also seems to be an Epcot-style geodesic dome housing a Space Mountain type ride:

Europa-Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/QUOTE

As you can read in the Wikipedia article Europa Park is the second most visited theme park in europe after DLP and the most popular seasonal park in the world. I know some people from the UK that tell me a lot of europeans like the Geisterterschloss better then phantom manor kock off or not

I wonder why people would prefer Geisterterschloss to PM or Piraten in Batavia to POTC? I watched both videos, and to me it was just a slavish copy of the Disney-based rides. Like mikeerdas said, I would expect that in China or maybe even Nara Dreamland, but not Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    I wonder why people would prefer Geisterterschloss to PM or Piraten in Batavia to POTC? I watched both videos, and to me it was just a slavish copy of the Disney-based rides. Like mikeerdas said, I would expect that in China or maybe even Nara Dreamland, but not Germany.
    I know what you mean i think it has a 18 to 30 demographic going for it also the above video is not the best one i have seen of it plus the HM does not have a mad scientist so i can see they borrowed from other dark rides aswell.And theres the weird fact that it was a decade before the europeans would warm up to disney eneyway as you may recall the financial hardship of euro disney.

• Minion

Universe of Energy's the most jarring to me. They could have easily given their dinosaur ride another name, but they go with a name that has nothing to do with their ride because it's the name of a ride that has dinosaurs in it as well?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Yeah, that was very strange. I sat trying to figure out why they would do that, especially with an English name. Too bizarre.

• Inhospitable about happy

I don't know why, but for me there's something depressing about it all. Same with Nara Dreamland. That's my reaction for some reason.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Coming soon...

Hello everyone.

Long time HM thread series lurker, rare poster here. I rarely have any interesting nuggets to add.

However, I have been to Europa Park, only last year actually. It is no Nara Dreamland. It's genuinely one of the best parks I've ever been to!

The Universe of Energy comparison is only the name. In fact, in the park the ride title is in German, not English, so not sure where this information is coming from. The name is translated into English on the map, but the ride signs in the park use the German version. It has dinosaurs, that's the comparison over.

As far as comparisons go to the HM and PM rides, I would like to ignore the word knock-off. Whilst they are both heavily inspired by, and actually lifting a fair share of elements (singing busts, stretch room, omnimover cars for Geisterschloss - general theme of Piraten) they are actually very different rides. Both hail from the 1980's if I remember correctly, which means they precede their Parisian counterparts, but obviously came after the DL/WDW rides.

Focussing primarily upon Geisterschloss, the only comparisons/stealing of ideas revolve around technical elements and a few scenes lifts. The rest of it is a far more macabre spookhouse, and having ridden it my suspicions of it being a total rip-off were dashed, and it's actually really fun! There's a very tongue in cheek sense of horror throughout.

Honestly, ignoring the stretch room, omnimover and singing busts copied elements, it's really not even slightly similar.

I took a few photos of the ride when I was there, which I shall share here. The ride itself is located in the Italy section of the park. The queue is really good, and is indoors unlike the HM queues.

The effects on the ride were really cool, and were very much cheekier than the Disneyland original HM. One that really shocked me was the spitting ghosts (with a shocking leg-targetting blast of water) and the great use of smoke effects throughout. Also, the stretch room floor shakes which took me by surprise. The music as well is phenomenal, rivalling the Phantom Manor music and pre-dating it by a few years.

Yes, the copied elements do really stink of stolen ideas, BUT ignoring that, it really does actual feel a great and original ride that I reckon HM die-hards would really enjoy.

For the record as well, Europa Park is gorgeous. I mean, wow. It's a huge park with some excellent theming.

So, in short, I wouldn't black-list Europa-Park as a knock-off park too quickly
    Last edited by Scorchio; 04-07-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks for posting and confirming that europa park is a major resort with four hotels and alike when i met my british friends i had all kinds of questionsabout DPL and they told me but all they wanted to talk about was europa park and efteling. Not that they dislike disney but my questions about PM lead to them telling me about the geisterschloss and that it was a great ride but to scary for kidz. But the thing i think is funny is that europa parks mascot is a mouse.

Thanks for the EP info, Scorchy. Actually, the HM ripoffs bother me far less than the POTC ones, because it's all part of the spookhouse tradition to steal use the same effects other spookhouses have successfully used. There's a low-brow element (trashy, if you will), that's actually part of the charm. The HM tips its hat to these garish, rattletrap, boardwalk forebears with the popup ghosts, and the Geisterschloss seems even more blatant about its humble roots, so the HM borrowings in that particular ride don't bother me quite so much.

Thanks Scorchio and welcome. I may have to check out Geisterschloss some time. Not against it really since I'm a huge fan of dark rides in general. Just surprised at all the borrowed elements. Perhaps a bit too many, but it is what it is. Some other elements in Geisterschloss that also seem to be borrowed from the Haunted Mansion are:

* A caretaker figure with his dog
    * A hatbox ghost-like character without the cool teleporting head effect (doesn't really count perhaps since there is no HBG in any of the Disney Haunted Mansion attractions)
    * A full on ballroom scene with dancers and large chandelier (without the cool Pepper's Ghost effect)
    * Self-knocking door knockers and, I think, an opening and/or bulging door

There may be more. Hard to see everything from the few YouTube videos I've seen of it. But combined with others, I'd say that's quite a lot. It's not a replica of the Haunted Mansion, but looks heavily influenced by it. But it does have its own unique elements, like you say, that I might like to see some day. Thanks for writing, posting pictures, and contributing to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    Hello everyone.
    Long time HM thread series lurker, rare poster here. I rarely have any interesting nuggets to add.

However, I have been to Europa Park, only last year actually. It is no Nara Dreamland. It's genuinely one of the best parks I've ever been to!

As far as comparisons go to the HM and PM rides, I would like to ignore the word knock-off. Whilst they are both heavily inspired by, and actually lifting a fair share of elements (singing busts, stretch room, omnimover cars for Geisterschloss - general theme of Piraten) they are actually very different rides. Both hail from the 1980's if I remember correctly, which means they precede their Parisian counterparts, but obviously came after the DL/WDW rides.

Focussing primarily upon Geisterschloss, the only comparisons/stealing of ideas revolve around technical elements and a few scenes lifts. The rest of it is a far more macabre spookhouse, and having ridden it my suspicions of it being a total rip-off were dashed, and it's actually really fun! There's a very tongue in cheek sense of horror throughout.

Honestly, ignoring the stretch room, omnimover and singing busts copied elements, it's really not even slightly similar.

The effects on the ride were really cool, and were very much cheekier than the Disneyland original HM. One that really shocked me was the spitting ghosts (with a shocking leg-targetting blast of water) and the great use of smoke effects throughout. Also, the stretch room floor shakes which took me by surprise. The music as well is phenomenal, rivalling the Phantom Manor music and pre-dating it by a few years.

Yes, the copied elements do really stink of stolen ideas, BUT ignoring that, it really does actual feel a great and original ride that I reckon HM die-hards would really enjoy.
    Last edited by mikeerdas; 04-07-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Thanks for the EP info, Scorchy. Actually, the HM ripoffs bother me far less than the POTC ones, because it's all part of the spookhouse tradition to steal use the same effects other spookhouses have successfully used. There's a low-brow element (trashy, if you will), that's actually part of the charm. The HM tips its hat to these garish, rattletrap, boardwalk forebears with the popup ghosts, and the Geisterschloss seems even more blatant about its humble roots, so the HM borrowings in that particular ride don't bother me quite so much.
    I agree about the POTC borrowings. Far more obvious and seems to have been attempted as a copy. Liked what you said about the spookhouse / pretzel dark ride commonalities and traditions. It's not as if other haunted attractions can't or haven't had spooky portraits, etc.

To get us back to the HM (not to cut off the other conversations if they want to continue), here's a mini gallery. The new queue at WDW has been widely panned, but it has some okay elements. The new graveyard has lots of headstones with tributes to Imagineers missed the first time around, plus nods to characters from the ride, both used and not used. They went overboard with the latter, jamming in everyone they could think of, but overall it's fairly innocuous fun.

There are some headstones and monuments which, because of their location, rarely show up in the typical photos you see online. I've finally put together a fairly full set of these more elusive types from photos scavenged from hither and yon.

First are a couple of Imagineer tributes that actually DO show up in lots of pictures, although not usually this clearly. Dorothea Redmond and Harriet Burns.

Then there are the singing busts, Cousin Algernon, Uncle Theodore, and for good measure Ned Nub (who does show up in lots of photos).

The HHG's Gus and Ezra are commonly seen, and I suppose that Phineas Pock, also commonly seen, is supposed to cover both the third hitchhiker and the singing bust of that name. Similarly, the name of the fifth singing bust, Rollo Rumkin, is already taken for use on one of the new wall crypts.

Three Ken Anderson characters are there. A couple of them are rarely seen in photos. I could still use a better pic of Priscilla.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM