Page 451 of 597 FirstFirst ... 351401426441448449450451452453454461476501551 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,765 of 8942

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Now that we know what it is and where it is, you can see it in a number of photos:

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Why just one lone, blank gravestone WAAAAY back there? Why not several blanks in the distance to make the graveyard seem larger?

Out of curiosity, can anyone find pictures of the sea captain ghost in the graveyard tea party

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hatbox999 View Post
    Out of curiosity, can anyone find pictures of the sea captain ghost in the graveyard tea party
    I have this one:

Name:  Graveyard Ghoul-Captain-Smaller.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  192.6 KB

...and this one:

Name:  JeffSCLphotog.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  30.4 KB

Not sure which Mansion is which...
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 04-14-2013 at 05:52 PM.

• Cunning infiltrator

Interesting....check them out!

The Haunted Mansion - Television Tropes & Idioms

Haunted Mansion Wiki (The wiki needs help, foolish mortals! Anyone can edit, please enhance the wiki!)

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Hatbox999 View Post
    Despite what Baxter and Surrell say, there's no sea captain among the Tea Party ghosts. Look at that guy's shoes in GG pix. Sea captain? Umm...no. Nothing he's wearing would indicate anything like a sea captain, and that goes for the concept art and the actual figure in all three HM's. How that story got started, and why such authorities endorse it, is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Interesting....check them out!

The Haunted Mansion - Television Tropes & Idioms

Haunted Mansion Wiki (The wiki needs help, foolish mortals! Anyone can edit, please enhance the wiki!)
    I won't be contributing to that wiki. I don't want to say exactly why, but you can probably figure it out yourself.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Despite what Baxter and Surrell say, there's no sea captain among the Tea Party ghosts. Look at that guy's shoes in GG pix. Sea captain? Umm...no. Nothing he's wearing would indicate anything like a sea captain, and that goes for the concept art and the actual figure in all three HM's. How that story got started, and why such authorities endorse it, is a mystery to me.
    I've mostly heard him referred to as "The Mariner". Maybe not so much with that first picture (which I believe is WDW), but I think the second is from DL. I've seen a clearer photo which shows he's wearing a hat more like the Gordon's Fisherman. He's also sometimes known as the "La la" singer, however that vocal is only in use at Tokyo now.

I didn't know his name but I have a shot of him, too.

Haunted Mansion Holiday- Graveyard by kerry richardson, on Flickr
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I've mostly heard him referred to as "The Mariner". Maybe not so much with that first picture (which I believe is WDW), but I think the second is from DL. I've seen a clearer photo which shows he's wearing a hat more like the Gordon's Fisherman. He's also sometimes known as the "La la" singer, however that vocal is only in use at Tokyo now.
    They've played around with his hat over the years, but I don't recall seeing anything like that. In the 80's he had a hat somewhat similar to what they still have at WDW (upper photo below). That may be the original from 69 for all I know. Since then they've replaced it with a smaller-brimmed hat (lower photo, from five or six years ago). He's always had those pointy shoes, however, and I don't think "mariners" of any kind have ever worn those. Even if someone could show us that Madagascar sailors in the 10th century had footwear like that (or whatever), it's certain that no one today associates shoes like that with sailors. As per the concept art, he's a medieval figure, and the "mariner," "sea captain" identification has nothing to commend it.

I suppose that someone speaking from a faulty memory remembered him as a sailor and called him that, and sources normally reliable and authoritative have repeated that thoughtlessly, without actually taking a good look at the figure. I don't care if Walt Disney called him a mariner, just look at him, he's not.

• Minion

I won't be contributing to that wiki. I don't want to say exactly why, but you can probably figure it out yourself.
    I won't be either, mostly because I think all these wikis for every little property of Disney is excessive and splinters a potential community one could have if people focused on expanding one Disney wiki and getting Muppet Wiki/Wookiepedia results out of it.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Finally.
    On July 18, 1987, me and the fam visited Disneyland. Combine a lousy video camera with a lousy videographer, and what do you get? Right. Well, I finally got our home movies transferred to DVD, and there are a few items of interest to Mansionheads. My few shots of the HM are crashingly unimpressive. I've patched together a couple of stills of the exterior from screen grabs. Blurry as hell, but that's how it is.

By far the most interesting thing going on was the early stages of construction of Splash Mountain next door. Here's a view of the construction fence leading to Bear Country taken from the HM front porch.

While standing in line for CBJ I took a panoramic sweep of the construction. Here's what I patched together. For you, Datameister:

• Member of Baxter's Army

I personally would only use the actual ride as canon. all the sources should be from the ride so I would only have one bride article and treat her as the same character through all the (Ride) incarnations (No 2003 movie or fan fic references)..
    On top of that the Wiki concept furthers the set storyline agenda and as a Marc Davis fan I oppose that not to mention having articles on PLQ elements.
    Last edited by HMF; 04-16-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    On top of that the Wiki concept furthers the set storyline agenda and as a Marc Davis fan I oppose that
    I don't know that this is true - the only thing setting a wiki apart from any other medium is that it is community-editable and generally each element or concept gets its own page. What have all of the Long-Forgotten threads been but a ton of information surrounding the possible inspirations, concepts, construction, placement, and (IRL) history of the physical props and effects of the mansion? That information could be translated into wiki pages without any imposition of storyline required. Information about storylines could be included, but there doesn't need to be any authoritative statement on what's "true", just a listing of the most popular theories, and their respective supporting evidence.

That's not to say that anyone should be contributing to any of the wikis, though. Being community-editable, any wiki will likely have problems given the large number of mansion fans out there who are very invested in storylines of varying canonicity. I'm just saying that the idea of an online mansion encyclopedia does not necessarily entail furthering a set storyline agenda.

• Minion

They've played around with his hat over the years, but I don't recall seeing anything like that. In the 80's he had a hat somewhat similar to what they still have at WDW (upper photo below). That may be the original from 69 for all I know. Since then they've replaced it with a smaller-brimmed hat (lower photo, from five or six years ago). He's always had those pointy shoes, however, and I don't think "mariners" of any kind have ever worn those. Even if someone could show us that Madagascar sailors in the 10th century had footwear like that (or whatever), it's certain that no one today associates shoes like that with sailors. As per the concept art, he's a medieval figure, and the "mariner," "sea captain" identification has nothing to commend it.

I suppose that someone speaking from a faulty memory remembered him as a sailor and called him that, and sources normally reliable and authoritative have repeated that thoughtlessly, without actually taking a good look at the figure. I don't care if Walt Disney called him a mariner, just look at him, he's not.
    I agree - there really is nothing to tie him to a "mariner", or any type of seafarer. (I've even heard him referred to as a pirate.)

So - just who or what is he supposed to be?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM