Page 452 of 618 FirstFirst ... 352402427442449450451452453454455462477502552 ... LastLast
Results 6,766 to 6,780 of 9257

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I agree - there really is nothing to tie him to a "mariner", or any type of seafarer. (I've even heard him referred to as a pirate.)

So - just who or what is he supposed to be?
    Pretty hard to say. There's a surprisingly thorough and scholarly-sounding history of the pointy-toed shoe fashion in Europe HERE. They came into fashion at the beginning of the 12th century and were popular at least until the end of the 14th. Mostly found among the privileged classes, apparently. In the Davis sketch he has a Robin Hood-ish hat. So, some medieval English fellow is about as close as I'd care to identify him. And the Robin Hood hat isn't even used. I think he's one of the less successful ghosts in the mix, for the very reason that he doesn't "place" very well at a glance, or even when scrutinized closely.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I agree - there really is nothing to tie him to a "mariner", or any type of seafarer. (I've even heard him referred to as a pirate.)

So - just who or what is he supposed to be?
    I suppose you really have to hone in on what he's most conspicuously wearing - that feather in the hat and the pointy shoes. Can't say much about what time period the hat would particularly hale from, but looking up ''pointed shoes'' on Wiki I found a reference to krakows (also called poulaines) being worn in 15th & 16th century Europe.

And, now that I just posted the above, I see HBG2 just beat me to it...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Pretty hard to say. There's a surprisingly thorough and scholarly-sounding history of the pointy-toed shoe fashion in Europe HERE. They came into fashion at the beginning of the 12th century and were popular at least until the end of the 14th. Mostly found among the privileged classes, apparently. In the Davis sketch he has a Robin Hood-ish hat. So, some medieval English fellow is about as close as I'd care to identify him. And the Robin Hood hat isn't even used. I think he's one of the less successful ghosts in the mix, for the very reason that he doesn't "place" very well at a glance, or even when scrutinized closely.
    Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    I suppose you really have to hone in on what he's most conspicuously wearing - that feather in the hat and the pointy shoes. Can't say much about what time period the hat would particularly hale from, but looking up ''pointed shoes'' on Wiki I found a reference to krakows (also called poulaines) being worn in 15th & 16th century Europe.

And, now that I just posted the above, I see HBG2 just beat me to it...
    Well, the sketch makes him look like a Minstrel. Seems like he would fit in with the Graveyard Band.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I personally would only use the actual ride as canon. all the sources should be from the ride so I would only have one bride article and treat her as the same character through all the (Ride) incarnations (No 2003 movie or fan fic references)..
    On top of that the Wiki concept furthers the set storyline agenda and as a Marc Davis fan I oppose that not to mention having articles on PLQ elements.
    If the Tron Wiki can acknowledge the split timeline that occurred when Tron Legacy overwrote the Tron 2.0 game, I think you can acknowledge the other incarnations.

Personally, I'm starting to adopt Grant Morrison's Hypertime concept for DC when looking at tangled knots of continuity or retellings like how there's all these versions of the Haunted Mansion from over the years or the whole Mickey/Donald universe.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Evil is Sexy

Well, the sketch makes him look like a Minstrel. Seems like he would fit in with the Graveyard Band.
    Maybe he wandered over from the band for a spot of tea.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    If the Tron Wiki can acknowledge the split timeline that occurred when Tron Legacy overwrote the Tron 2.0 game, I think you can acknowledge the other incarnations.

Personally, I'm starting to adopt Grant Morrison's Hypertime concept for DC when looking at tangled knots of continuity or retellings like how there's all these versions of the Haunted Mansion from over the years or the whole Mickey/Donald universe.
    That is exactly what I am talking about. I like fictional universes to be a single consistent History. Alternate Universes and such don't appeal to me, In fact I am terrified that Star Wars Episode VII will destroy consistency with the existing Universe that has been built over the past two decades. Once you have multiple timelines and multiple realities I stop "believing" in your fictional universe. This is also why I hate re-boots unless there is very very good reason (ala, Batman & Robin)

• Evil is Sexy

That is exactly what I am talking about. I like fictional universes to be a single consistent History. Alternate Universes and such don't appeal to me, In fact I am terrified that Star Wars Episode VII will destroy consistency with the existing Universe that has been built over the past two decades. Once you have multiple timelines and multiple realities I stop "believing" in your fictional universe. This is also why I hate re-boots unless there is very very good reason (ala, Batman & Robin)
    Star Wars Episode 1 already destroyed the consistancy. They should just ignore the "New Republic" storyline and go back to the Old Republic, 3000 years prior. *nod nods*

Anyway... back to the HM...
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

Batman's not the best example seeing as DC and Marvel have been operating on a multiverse system for a long time, DC moreso to an extent of having all the various Crisis stories.

I think it's healthy for alternate realities and Elseworlds to exist as ways for reinterpretations of characters to grow and it keeps some characters from growing stagnant.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Professional Obsessive

Despite what Baxter and Surrell say, there's no sea captain among the Tea Party ghosts. Look at that guy's shoes in GG pix. Sea captain? Umm...no. Nothing he's wearing would indicate anything like a sea captain, and that goes for the concept art and the actual figure in all three HM's. How that story got started, and why such authorities endorse it, is a mystery to me.
    I was actually around for the start of that. Most of the rumors about the ride that still haunt us today originate on alt.rec.disneyland, which then migrated over to a website called hidden-mickeys.org. Obviously this ensured the longevity of them in an era when the internet was a smaller place and newsgroups were dying out. Hidden-Mickeys.org was an early gathering place for Disney esoterica and history (not just hidden mickeys) and most of the stuff it posted then migrated over to Doombuggies.com when that message board was created.

The idea that was being circulated is that you can see all three of the hitch-hiking ghosts in the ride before the end. Obviously we all know about the old man being in the graveyard (sorry guys, even after all these years I still can't bring myself to use their fan names), and the similarity between the thin hitch-hiker and several pop-up ghosts is obvious. The remaining carpetbag guy was said to be located in the Ballroom (pretty sure they were thinking of the guy at the table raising a toast, and there is indeed a surface similarity if you're dedicated to finding them).

From there the idea mutated into one that claimed that all of the ghosts seen in the portraits at the start of the WDW Mansion can be found elsewhere in the ride, and this was probably fueled by the idea that the first portrait on the left was the Ghost Host and the "Opera Glasses Lady" could interpreted to be Madame Leota. From there it's not too far to say, for example, that the Vampire is the guy in the coffin, that December is in the Ballroom by the fireplace, or that the guy with the floppy hat in the Graveyard is the Mariner in the big portrait.

Of course this is nonsense but its been continued to be promoted by sites like Doombuggies forums, Ghost Relations Department and in Jason Surrell's book. WDI leadership continues to demand adherence to their officially corporate sanctioned idea of "story", which is why parts of Surrell's book - and the WDW queue and the new Attic scene - continue to propogate the idea that the Mansion is some hugely carefully planned out meta-universe instead of being a bunch of random ideas thrown together that just so happened to result in something brilliant. I'm sure we'll continue to see stuff like this so long as we have the Tolkien, Potter and Star Wars universes to contend with as dominant cultural forces.

So anyway, that's where the idea came from.

We frequently hear that the idea of a hitchhiking ghost pre-dates the era of the automobile, but it's nice to actually see some evidence, especially with this kind of eye appeal. This isn't exactly an example of HHG-ing, but it's quite close. From a 1904 Cosmopolitan magazine, hat tip Professor Oddfellow.

Random question:

How did the audio work in the doom buggies up until the 90s, before the advent of digital sound and electronics to provide audio? Did they have a different tape player synched up to each doom buggie? Something onboard, or a big room full of tape loops for each car?

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Random question:

How did the audio work in the doom buggies up until the 90s, before the advent of digital sound and electronics to provide audio? Did they have a different tape player synched up to each doom buggie? Something onboard, or a big room full of tape loops for each car?
    I've got an answer for that from Lonesome Ghost:

Back in the day every 2nd buggy was equipped with an audio receiver. As the buggies went over a certain audio zone, there was an infrared beam that went across the track underneath that was tripped by a plate of "fingers" under the first buggy. It would send a VERY low frequency audio to the buggies and the speakers. Sometimes an audio zone would have several audio tracks for the narration and they would trip as the buggies went by. In order to supply multiple buggies in a row with audio, each few sets of buggies would have a different set of "fingers" and the same audio track, on a different frequency, would start playing to only those buggies. Since there were 6 "fingers", they could be broken off in a select order to determine which buggy it was, and which frequency to play it on.

Last edited by HBG2; 04-18-2013 at 08:27 PM.

​This is a really great sketch/picture!

We frequently hear that the idea of a hitchhiking ghost pre-dates the era of the automobile, but it's nice to actually see some evidence, especially with this kind of eye appeal. This isn't exactly an example of HHG-ing, but it's quite close. From a 1904 Cosmopolitan magazine, hat tip Professor Oddfellow.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Behold my friends, first on-ride images of Mystic Manor!! HK Disney completes expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Hatbox999 View Post
    Behold my friends, first on-ride images of Mystic Manor!! HK Disney completes expansion
    Judging from the pics this ride looks whimsical and a bit cartoony with little or nothing to compare to the HM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM