Page 453 of 728 FirstFirst ... 353403428443450451452453454455456463478503553 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,795 of 10914

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Between the Dread Family of the "My Special Day at Chuck-E-Cheese Fun Crypts" and the Darrow Family of the recent Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated (which was probably the best thing that ever happened to that franchise), any more history behind the whole "family that went nuts from greed and fighting over treasure and collapsed as a result" type of story?
    Last edited by FigmentJedi; 04-20-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by mansionman View Post
    Judging from the pics this ride looks whimsical and a bit cartoony with little or nothing to compare to the HM.
    Well, it was never intended to be another Haunted Mansion. It was instead of the Haunted Mansion. However, it does share some similarities, in general.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Well, it was never intended to be another Haunted Mansion. It was instead of the Haunted Mansion. However, it does share some similarities, in general.
    I can see a little bit more Museum of the Weird in it and the rest of Mystic Point as far as the whole "collection of strange stuff" aspect goes, though it's nothing as occultish and arcane as what Crump drew.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Inhospitable about happy

Two words that should send chills down the spine of any rational adult:

Cute monkey.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

• Minion

I find the lack of Omnimovers troubling. They contribute the "you are alone" element that open, multi-seat vehicles will lack. Also, their movement is used to focus your attention where the designers want you to look. And I've always found the Mansion's rougher, jostling Doom Buggies to be part of the experience, as opposed to the newer, gentler, smoother sea shell vehicles in the Little Mermaid ride at DCA.

• Minion

Got ridethrough video now. There is a reference to the Medusa Changing portrait and the singing helmets in this other video seem to recall the singing busts.

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Watched several ride-throughs: cute monkey, meh. But he doesn't ruin it, the tone is different than HM, and I quite enjoyed the music, the tikis, the use of projection effects, the man-eating plants (Museum of the Weird!), and etc. It looks fun and different, and that's OK by me. It could have been more ambitious maybe, too early to tell classic status - but I like the quirky tone it has going, even though it seems more Sally Corporation dark ride to me than it does classic Disney. I like Sally's rides, no mistake, but they are not on the level of design subtlety or 'grace' as Pirates and HM: I'd say this is not, either.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

On-ride video of Mystic Manor, soft opening, HERE.
    Looks impressive in many ways. A couple of nods in there to the Haunted Mansion allow us to classify it as most of us seem to have been doing: a distant cousin. In a 2-D medium like this, it's hard to judge how the many, many projection effects look in person. Do they look flat or 3-D enough to work? The sparkling light effects used in various places look very good. The latest generation of AA's are amazingly smooth, just plain fun to watch. It remains to be seen whether Albert the Monkey will be a hit. For now, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, because "cute monkeys" in Hong Kong may fit into a different kind of cultural groove than they do here.

(Hah. Beaten handily by Fig.)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    It could have been more ambitious maybe, too early to tell classic status - but I like the quirky tone it has going, even though it seems more Sally Corporation dark ride to me than it does classic Disney. I like Sally's rides, no mistake, but they are not on the level of design subtlety or 'grace' as Pirates and HM: I'd say this is not, either.
    Yeah, I think it's the cartoony style of Albert and Lord Mystic that throw things off for me. Just seems unnecessary.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Bats in the Belfry!

I'm seeing quite a few references to the Mansion here...including two staring busts at the end of the hallway full of artwork, just beyond the Medusa mosaic! It's an interesting ride, to be sure...I would like to see it in person, just to see how those projection effects look. It's tough to get a feel for them in a video.

-Adam-

The basic premise owes a lot to the Museum of the Weird. The ride has some of the cinematic feel of Indy, with some borrowings (blow guns, big glowing-eyed idols, swarms of crawling bugs). The Music Box and The Ark of the Covenant are like two versions of the old Pandora's Box motif. The Tiki Room tikis seem to be quoted as well. Speaking of, I think a lot of us meanies are going to wish openly that those tikis were better shots.

Oh, Albert ≈ Abu. You may not remember the name, but the fez looks familiar.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Oh, Albert ≈ Abu. You may not remember the name, but the fez looks familiar.
    Plus they're both voiced by Frank Welker, though Welker is going more into his Curious George monkey sounds rather then the Abu ones.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

And now, for something completely different: as good a photo of Pickwick as I've ever seen under ride conditions

A Swinging Wake @ The Haunted Mansion by Alan Rappa, on Flickr

Included in the list of things that don't photograph at all decently in the ballroom, doubtless, are the flying banshees and the stormy window effect.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Got ridethrough video now. There is a reference to the Medusa Changing portrait and the singing helmets in this other video seem to recall the singing busts.

It should be interesting to see how they incorporate this into the next Surrell book revision. (Assuming there is one.) Kind of a cross between Mansion, Tiki Room and the original Journey Into Imagination at Epcot. Also this is how projections and screens should be used to compliment AAs rather than the Fitzgerald School of projections in lieu of AAs
    Last edited by HMF; 04-21-2013 at 10:19 PM.

• Minion

Plus they're both voiced by Frank Welker, though Welker is going more into his Curious George monkey sounds rather then the Abu ones.
    I thought Albert sounded more like Nibbler.

The pixie dust effect looks amazing on film; I'd love to see how it looks in person. That and the animated instruments and armor are my favorite bits.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM