Page 456 of 596 FirstFirst ... 356406431446453454455456457458459466481506556 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,840 of 8927

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

My goldfish is a big fan of the ride too.

Sometimes you can get sets of blueprints on eekbay.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Since it's been quiet around here lately I would like to inject some life back in here with a superpost concept I have had for a while now. Since Passport 2 Dreams published the "On Integrity" post Â*Passport to Dreams Old & New: On Integrity I have noticed that during the 07 Re-Haunting there have been many major elements changed in the Florida Mansion to make it more similar to it's California Cousin in Disneyland.
    Some of these things I have pointed out in the thread overtime but I would now like to catalog them for future research.
    We shall start with the most obvious
    The original Portrait Corridor with "Moving Eyes"

Has been replaced with a ride-thru re-production of Disneyland's Changing Portrait Corridor (Though all of the Sinister 11 remain scattered in the load area along the staircase and just bfore the attic.)

Moving onto the Endless Hallway
    The original Floridian suit of armor did not have a shield
    Wheras Disneyland did
    In 2007 The WDW version recieved a shield as well.

Since 1969 ther have been framed portraits of the heads of various ghouls in the Disneyland Corridor of Doors

However when the Mansion in Florida opened the walls were virtually empty(Despite one of Disneyland's ghoul pictures ending up in the WDW Attic.)
    In 2007 the ghoul pictures (plus a few new ones) were put in the Florida Mansion.

Also the lighting throughout the corridor was a deep shade of red in the original Florida Attraction.

also present was a gag not in the Disneyland Version with a pair of hands attempting to pry open one of the doors.
    In 2007 all the red lights were removed to be replaced with lighting similar to the Disneyland version also the hands were removed from the door making it identical to Disneyland.

The Disneyland Corridor of Doors has featured a large portrait of the Ghost Host since 1969.

WDW had a simalar painting of the Ghost Host in the Sinister 11 but that did not stop the crew in charge of the 2007 refurbishment from putting another painting of the Ghost Host in the corresponding spot in the Florida Corridor of Doors.

Moving on to the Attic Scene, Since 1969 one of the first things seen upon entering the Disneyland Attic Scene has been an antique Secreatary.

The Tiny model ship nearby probably dates to the 95 refurbishment at Disneyland.
    Neither object had a similar duplicate item in the original Florida Attic but whoever was in charge of propping during the 07 Refurbishment ended up buying duplicates of these 2 items and putting them in the corresponding areas of the re-worked WDW Attic. (Incidentally, notice how closely the trunk in the WDW photo mirrors the DL U Will Plough trunk up to the books on top.)

moving across the track at Disneyland a partition screen was added in 1995 to help disguise the wires guiding one of the Blast-up Ghosts better. With the Constance re-configuration in 06 it was moved into what is now the Frank Tableau.

Despite the original WDW Attic not having a similar prop, A partition wall also ended up in the corresponding spot in the WDW Attic during the 07 refurbishment.

In a 1995 refurbishment of the Disneyland Haunted Mansion the Bride figure was changed significantly and a halltree was positioned next to her, during the switchover to Constance in 2006 it was placed near where the Frank Tableau turns into the Reginald Tableau.

despite that no existing halltree could be found in the original WDW Attic. The 07 Imagineers ended up purchasing one and placed it into nearly the corresponding spot in the WDW Attic (It also appears to be from the same line as the secratary.)

The suit of armor and the greek columns have likely always been in the Disneyland Attic.

Once again there were no similar items in the original WDW attic but with the 07 refurbishment sure enough.
    Last edited by HMF; 05-04-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Glade you got around to posting this and thanks for breaking it down its good to know this version still lives on in japan

I have numerous issues with the Magic Kingdom refurb, though there were clearly many improvements to the ride. Yet, it seems for every improvement, something was messed up. I assume there was a conscious decision to omit the Disneyland thunderstorm corridor with the changing portraits and ghoul pictures from the corridor of doors, have the hands prying the door, etc.

These were all positive changes in the original Magic Kingdom version's favor. I think showing the hands at the very end was a good change since it breaks up the "redundancy" of the doors at that point by actually seeing something emerging.

The altered attic is what it is and I've learned to accept it. I still hope that some day they tone down the brighter lighting in there, which was so carelessly implemented since you can now see it reflecting on the ballroom glass towards the end. I hope it reverts to a creepier incarnation with pop-up ghouls and maybe the Hatbox dude.

The graveyard is ridiculously dark now and it's extremely difficult to make anything out. The caretaker and his dog are barely visible anymore.

The refurb was also a nice opportunity to restore the exterior to its more pristine 1971 version, which was more attractive and maintained like the Disneyland house. Instead, it's even more ghastly these days and you can barely see the house from under that big red tarp. Another change I never see mentioned is removing the sound of the howling dog, which was such a classic iconic element. I won't even go into the ludicrous graveyard.

Still, through it all, it's the Mansion. I can't deny those few scenes Disneyland's doesn't contain are reason enough to plan a trip back to WDW some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    I have numerous issues with the Magic Kingdom refurb, though there were clearly many improvements to the ride. Yet, it seems for every improvement, something was messed up. I assume there was a conscious decision to omit the Disneyland thunderstorm corridor with the changing portraits and ghoul pictures from the corridor of doors, have the hands prying the door, etc.
    I would think that the reason that the DL Portrait Corridor was not duplicated in MK originally was because the original method of transformation would not have worked from a moving vehicle wheras with the new Ligtning Flash Technology it works. Other than taking the red light out of the Corridor of Doors I feel the 07 Refurb crew did a great job (Even though I think that their search for matching Attic props was a bit silly.) What happened in 2011 on the other hand.

One thing that has miffed me is there was no attempt to re-incorporate the ''following eye'' effect to the Sinister 11 when they were re-located - if not the lot then at least the ones hanging on the wall to your right once boarding the doombuggies. It was a creepy effect.

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    One thing that has miffed me is there was no attempt to re-incorporate the ''following eye'' effect to the Sinister 11 when they were re-located - if not the lot then at least the ones hanging on the wall to your right once boarding the doombuggies. It was a creepy effect.
    I think In the load area it would be too unnerving and dangerous.

It wasn't as if they needed to be placed specifically in the load area. They're barely visible in there anyway, so the placement is just strange. There's even that one right after the ballroom you can't really see. What is that?

There might have been a way to incorporate them into various places in the ride and maintain the effect, but I wouldn't have even bothered with that. For whatever reason, the changing portrait hall was never a part of the Magic Kingdom version and the decision was made to go with a totally different scene with new portraits and eyes following you. I think that should have been left intact, but I guess I'm a purist.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    I assume there was a conscious decision to omit the Disneyland thunderstorm corridor with the changing portraits and ghoul pictures from the corridor of doors, have the hands prying the door, etc.
    The Portrait Hall was not physically necessary at WDW. At DL, it serves a practical purpose to get guests from the Stretch Room elevators to the Doombuggy Load area in the show building outside the berm. At WDW, the Stretch Rooms are not elevators, and open directly into the show building and Load Area. WDW got a different (and less costly) style of Portrait Hall leading into a library and music room that DL doesn't have. Both versions have areas that the other does not have which was probably an intentional creative decision to make guests want to see both.

According to Lonesome Ghost, the reason they didn't preserve the follow-you eyes effect on the S11 portraits in the load area is that it would slow down foot traffic too much, as people would stop, walk back and forth in front of them, etc. Reminds me of something Eddie Sotto once said about the Catch-22 situation with walk-thru attractions (like Sleeping Beauty at DL). If the tableaux are TOO fascinating, you get traffic back ups.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    According to Lonesome Ghost, the reason they didn't preserve the follow-you eyes effect on the S11 portraits in the load area is that it would slow down foot traffic too much, as people would stop, walk back and forth in front of them, etc.
    That would totally be me. I used to stand in front of every changing portrait to watch it go through its cycle.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

"We shall start with the most obvious
    The original Portrait Corridor with "Moving Eyes"
    *snip*
    Has been replaced with a ride-thru re-production of Disneyland's Changing Portrait Corridor (Though all of the Sinister 11 remain scattered in the load area along the staircase and just bfore the attic.)"

This just makes me sad. IMO, as wonderful as the changing portraits are, the S11 were the creepiest way to go for a ride thru gallery. Definitely not a plus to the WDW ride.
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 05-06-2013 at 08:31 AM.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Tickets please...

Ah... I haven't posted in this thread for a while now. Sorry about that guys! I am still here though. I'm also going to DLRP next month and hope to get lots of pics of Phantom Manor, so if any of you want pics of anything specific around the Manor now would be the time to say.

Guess I'll be posting a run down of my visit to it here anyhows.

I don't think I've missed too much news on the Mansion have I? I'm pretty sure nothing crazy has happened or Hattie has returned and now dances or something... not that that wouldn't be crazy... okay I'm rambling again as usual.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I have now completed the preceding six threads. I’ve seen several new readers asked to post how long it took them to get caught up but very few have posted a response. I am proud to share my record of “time served” to reach the beginning of Thread 7.

I started reading Thread 1 on April 8, 2013. I read the majority of it during down time at work, Monday through Friday, with only one few weekend foray onto the Thread (weekend job + 4-year-old son = not much leisure time on weekends). I completed Thread 6 yesterday (May 6, 2013). That means it took about 21 days at an average of two and a half hours (guesstimate) a day to get from post 1 of Thread 1 to post 1 of Thread 7… and I still retain a modicum of my sanity.
    **I keep it in an Altoids tin on my computer desk.**

If my estimate is correct, I have about the same amount of material to read as is contained in Threads 1-4 to get to my first post in this Thread. It should take about 2 ½ weeks to catch up, depending on how busy things get at work. Let the adventure continue!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

"...and his life was never the same again."

Couple of vintage exterior shots of the HM up at Gorillas Don't Blog today.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM